Does trailer draw power from truck - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Does trailer draw power from truck

I sometimes camp without hookups. I alway unplug the trailer thinking if the furnace runs the camper battery down, it might drain the truck battieries.

A friend has another brand truck and says there is a relay that wont let that happen, just would like to know if that is the same with the Druramax.

If I leave it plugged in, does it pull power if the truck is not running? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

all the campers that i'm aware of, the power in the camper is completely seperate from the truck. i have a 5er and used to use 2 batteries for the camper lights while camping, i finially upgraded to a small generator last year so we could run the entire camper.
efi-tuned by idahorob, egr blocked, pcv rerouted, lift pump, kodiac mp,autometer sportcomp gauges, turbo dp, 4" ss magna flow exhaust straight piped, firestone ab, kool-vue towing mirrors, 5th wheel hitch with slider, gooseneck hitch.
305 MT ATZ's on eagle alloy 17x10
jbrown1132@yahoo.com
alligatorperformance.com
atptrucks.com
Truck is sold....
jbrown1132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

It depends on how it is wired in, I have dump trailer and it charges the battery from the truck and gives power all the time if it is plugged in. You really want to test it out. You would need a voltmeter to see if charging voltage goes to your camper when the truck is running.
I have worked on engines all my life, spent 19 years at FreightlinnerI live in the Kootenay region of B.C. I have a 2007 NBS White 3500 GMC SLE Duramax Alison 17 inch aluminum SRW Crew-cab long-box White linex in the box and black in the wheel wells BW turn-over ball. all stock.
Johnp33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 04:44 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Vanned this place

I'm thinking it does, but can't remember. Mines on a switch so I know when there's juice back there and when there's not. Like stated, just put a test light on the trailer plug on the back of truck.
TheStepChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 06:24 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I know the truck charges the trailer when the truck is running, I found the charging pin on the plug's socket and it wasn't when I got the truck. The dealer fixed it, they said it had a blank fuse in the fuse box from the factory. They just had to replace it with a real fuse. It charges nicely when running.

My question is if there is any protection from discharging the trucks battery completly if its not running. My friend has a Ford and says his has a relay that cuts power to the truck when its not running to prevent that. Just want to know if Chevy does the same thing.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:37 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

The 12v feed to the trailer is live 24/7 so yes it will run down the truck batteries if left connected. It is posible to add a relay so this cannot happen.
diesail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 06:46 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Unhook it to be safe. The truck charges the batter for the emergency disconnect....
2008 LMM EFI Live by Nick, Transgo jr., Diamond Eye Quiet Exhaust with Quiet Tone Front Pipe, Big Blue Converter, Blocked EGR, Fass 150 lift, ITBC bypass, Heated Windshield Fluid CCLB Dually LTZ, Sulastics, Bilstein rear shocks, Debo step
136,000 miles
2004 LLY RCLB 4x4 80,000 miles bone stock oil every 3k SOLD
2011 Chevy RCLB 4x4 LML 3500HD
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/new-here-please-read/
rascal810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 05:02 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Yep, it's a live 40a continuous draw. I did see a mention some time back that there were plans, on newer models, to smarten up the trailer feed for your protection from rundowns. When the trucks’ batteries dropped below a certain level, it drops the trailer feed, like the doom/cargo/radio does now.

If you’re boon-docking and need the additional power from the truck to extend your stay, just unhook the negative from the passenger side battery. You only need one battery to start the truck, and you’ll keep that one in reserve in case of the other drops out.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 11:12 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

On my 2008 the trailer power connection is live all of the time. However, but IIRC the starting battery is only used to start the truck and is isolated from the rest of the truck with a diode.
Completely stock
blueox08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 11:21 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The Duramax uses both batteries all the time-- Starting [takes lots of amps] and running. They are wired in parallel. There is no diode in the system.

The trailer terminal is hot all the time, if the wire has been connected, and it has a fuse in the under hood fuse box.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.