Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Towing Advice

11K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  elkhornsun 
#1 ·
I need some input on towing a relatively light load.

We just purchased a new 2017 2500HD 6.6L and haven't had an opportunity to tow our little Jayco camper with it yet, but our first trip is coming up soon and it's going to be about 9 hrs. each way.

Our 19' camper weighs 3,700 lbs loaded (3,750 lb. GVWR) and the tongue weight is right at 480 lbs. We also run an Andersen 'No-Sway' WD hitch.

My plan was to put it in drive, hit the tow/haul button and turn the exhaust brake on. And hopefully be able to finally use cruise control at least on the flat ground (we've been towing with our FJ Cruiser that we have to keep in 4th gear with no cruise to prevent the transmission from hunting).

So is this a bad or inefficient plan? Not having any experience with a GMC, Duramax, and very little with diesels in general, I'm sort of running blind here.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
For starters I think there's a 500 mile break in before you're supposed to tow anything.

I think you've got the rest of it pretty well figured out.

I hauled my 9,000 pound travel trailer 1200 miles to Florida first of January and the only place I used the exhaust brake was Monteagle Mountain and the area surrounding it.

#3 ·
Your DMAX won't even notice that trailer back there compared to the FJ. Throw it in drive, hit cruise, and enjoy!

#5 ·
Yeah, I now have 912 miles on it so I should be gtg as far as the break-in period is concerned.

I've read where people have said on this forum to not tow in 6th gear, but that must be rated to heavier loads.

I could probably get away with not using tow/haul, but I like the idea of being able to keep an eye on the transmission temperature.

Wasn't sure if it would hurt anything keeping the exhaust brake on all the time or if it is just meant to be engaged when needed while descending hills.

#8 ·
I am new to these wonderful machines as well so I am not sure of exactly how the exhaust brake functions in these trucks (yet)....but I do have an extensive background in heavy semi trucking and the exhaust brake only engages when you lift your foot off the throttle (assuming you have it turned on) and on newer trucks with in a certain RPM range or speed ... In the trucking industry they ( exhaust brakes ) are known as a Jacobs Brake but are widely know as a "Jake Brake". Most semi trucks will also have a 3 stage switch so you can choose to engage 2,4 or all 6 cylinders for increased braking power......Sorry for the ramble, this is one of the few things I am truly knowledgable about so I took the opportunity to flex my very fragile ego :cookoo[1]: ...LOL...have fun towing your toys around, I think you will barely notice that trailer is back there

#6 ·
And you probably could get away from not using a weight distribution hitch. I've towed our little 5000lb travel trailer with no WDH, several hundred miles and I have to keep looking back to make sure the travel trailer is still back there. Sometimes I'll put one sway bar for long trips just for peace of mind.

#9 ·
Noticed yesterday that the manual recommends to only use tow/haul when you're at a minimum of 75% of GCVW.

With a 25,100 lb. GCWR that would put it at 18,825 lbs. minimum.

Fully loaded worst case we could ever be is 13,750 lbs., but realistically I'd say our gross combined will never be over 13k lbs.

My only concern is that I've read that people pulling heavier travel trailers have to drive over 65 MPH (minimum of 70) to get their trucks to shift into 6th gear. We try to stay right at 65 usually, so I'm not sure with a lighter pull if this is going to be worse or better in our case. I would think the lighter load would be more out to let the transmission shift into 6th gear?

I'm still going to use T/H just because of the guage, really wish their was a way to see the trans temp on the DIC even when not in T/H mode.

I have a hard enough time figuring out what gear this thing is in, not sure I'll really be able to tell if it's in 5th or 6th while pulling unless I can run 65 on flat ground without the TT and see where the tach is typically sitting in 6th?

#14 ·
I have a hard enough time figuring out what gear this thing is in, not sure I'll really be able to tell if it's in 5th or 6th while pulling unless I can run 65 on flat ground without the TT and see where the tach is typically sitting in 6th?
After some towing miles are laid down, you're going to look back at this thread of concerns....and laugh at your presumed worries. haha:

You're driving a beast that was built around towing heavy. And, you're not towing heavy.
All of that other stuff you use to worry about (gear, heat, Rpms, WD hitch, etc.), those were all additionals to the mix for a Toy, not really built for towing.

T/H on these is completely different than the T/H on cars. Worrying about 6th or not, your trailer tires can't handle those speeds 6th is capable of (85?).
Just select D and cruise on down the road, enjoying what that skinny pedal offers up when passing another. :thumb

Reactions: TexasRedNeck
#10 ·
It will not even know that trailer is back there. I would try it either way with and with out tow haul mode. As you said though without it on you cannot see transmission temp gauge. TH mode may be over kill here with such a light trailer. It will hold the gear changes longer with TH mode on. Can't hurt it either way. As for weight distribution hitch I do not think you'll need one but do use some sort of sway control. My Toy hauler weighs 7500#s with no water in it and my dry tongue weight it 900#s and I use a equalizer weight distribution hitch but I have almost no tension on it I only use it for sway control at this time.

Enjoy the adventure!

#11 ·
With that trailer you wont even need to use the exhaust brake. It will not know its even there. You wouldn't even need tow/haul. Prepare for a light vs dark comparison on tow vehicle.

I pull my 12k+lb fifth wheel like a dream. You sound like I did when I first started hauling. Ill tell you this: You have the perfect vehicle. It will take good care of what ever you throw at it. Drive with confidence.

Just tow/haul, hit the open road and Hakuna Matatta.

#12 ·
You can update your setting on the info screen of your dash to read Trans Temp whether you are in tow haul or not...

#16 ·
Not really sure why you're so worried about the trans temp. for the load you're hauling it's like putting groceries in the trunk of a sedan and worrying if the trans is going to get to hot on the trip from the store to the house. T/H mode really is meant for the heavy loads >3x the weight you're pulling. And the reason the trans temp is shown on those is because of the stress those kinds of loads put on the trans. in your case it's a non-issue. considering that you could almost put the trailer and all the gear in the bed of the truck and barely be over the payload of the truck, let alone the towing capacity.

I say use the WDH. as you have it, and it helps with the sway. it's not really there because of the weight of the trailer.

The FJ wasn't meant for towing much. that wasn't the target demographic for that vehicle. but your new rig is mean to tow. it's going to be night and day compared to the FJ. like Hook'em said. Put it in D and head on down the road.

#22 ·
Not really sure why you're so worried about the trans temp. for the load you're hauling it's like putting groceries in the trunk of a sedan and worrying if the trans is going to get to hot on the trip from the store to the house.
Now this one I can easily answer.....

I worry because I'm a stupid engineer and I over-analyze everything and stress myself out over dumb chit....and I read too many forums :grin2:.

Want to know how many different ways I've calculated anticipated worst case payload for the next 10 years and just about convinced myself that I should've bought a 3500 SRW because I'll only have 500 lbs. of excess payload left over once fully loaded after our son has grown some.....>:)

But I get it now so I'll quit worrying and enjoy our big trip next week.

Full disclosure....I did just now go buy an Edge Insight CTS2 so I can watch the transmission temp while not in tow/haul.

#17 ·
What Hook Em said.

#18 ·
Just put the trans in "D", set the cruise and drive. Just enjoy the drive. That trailer is nothing for the truck.

#19 ·
You wait till you get used to your truck ,you can use exhaust brake ,th,cruise ,or them all ,use manual,or use them all together if you have a heavier load. You will love your truck and feel very confident in towing anything with it. Have Fun

#21 ·
Your truck was made for much more of a trailer, just get in and put it in Drive........ You are going to be blown away at the ease of towing your trailer.. Enjoy your trip..

PS you can sell your equalizer hitch, it is obsolete now.

#24 ·
I'd like to know to how to make the transmission temp gauge visible without tow haul mode on. Yes I have looked all through DIC for it. Denali has a digital display not analog setup like most trucks have. When tow haul mode is selected the voltage gauge drops off and transmission temp gauge pops up. Only way I have been able to view it.

#26 ·
lol, trust me I get it. I may not be an engineer by education/certification, but I have several friends who refer to me as the engineer because of how analytical I am about everything. That being said. I'm going 3500 SRW when I purchase in a few months because of exactly what you've said - 10 year plan.

I'm going to guess that the trailer barely effects your truck when you compare hitched vs unhitched statistics with that trailer. Now, when you realize your truck is more than enough for an upgraded trailer, and move to something bigger, than maybe you see something. but that one won't show much of a difference.

#29 ·
Start over thinking deleting and tuning....

You could tow the old FJ AND the trailer and never know it was back there....

I tow my 16,000 lb fifth wheel in tow haul on cruise at 67.and let my wife drive it on cruise while I take a nap.

#31 · (Edited)
Ok, I get it now.

Feels the same as when it's not hooked up. CAT scales says we have 840 lbs. of excess payload left, so even with the dogs, kayaks and mtn. bikes we'll have about 400 lbs left over.

Actually I'm seeing better fuel mileage while in T/H mode.

And best of all, we still fit in the parking spot at Wal-Mart.

#32 ·
Aw....that's so Cute. tomato:

Ya know.....a longer trailer is easier to back.
Just sayin' ;angel

It'd make the truck stance look better too...if ya care 'bout that sort of thing when driving past a store front and takin' a side glance in admiration. marx

Reactions: Sierraluva
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.