Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Which Towing Setup

• 5th Wheel Hitch with above bed rails

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Gooseneck Hidden Ball with 5th Wheel hitch

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Gooseneck to Gooseneck with Aluminum adapter for 5th Wheel pin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goose Box with air bag (replaces 5th wheel pin on the trailer)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

LML 2500 and 32'+ 5th Wheel Toyhauler Towing Setup

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  sandeater 
#1 ·
Want to step up to a 5th wheel toyhauler. Thinking 32'-38'. I have a 2014 Sierra 2500 SRW with 4" lift and 35s.

Which setup would you recommend for the smoothest ride?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First things first, Have you found a 5er that will fit with a 4" lift?

Second thing DONT go with your 4th option. If you are lifted it will take some effort to level out the 5er. For that reason alone I suggest the Anderson as it will offer slightly more adjustability.

But again, what trailers are you looking at that will fit a lifted truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
First things first, Have you found a 5er that will fit with a 4" lift?

Second donor go with your 4th option. If you are lifted it will take some effort to level out the 5er. For that reason alone I suggest the Anderson as it will offer slightly more adjustability.

But again, what trailers are you looking at that will fit a lofted truck?

The RV shop said they would be able to set it up for my truck. Have several friends that run a 6"+ lift with 37s and pull a 5er

#7 ·
Yep it's a standard bed.

So you are saying to not do the Goose Box that replaces the 5th wheel pin on the trailer?

I had the companion style on there, just had it as gooseneck to 5th wheel adapter. Had forgot what it was called.

#8 ·
Yep it's a standard bed.

So you are saying to not do the Goose Box that replaces the 5th wheel pin on the trailer?

I had the companion style on there, just had it as gooseneck to 5th wheel adapter. Had forgot what it was called.

Correct. When your lifting the 5er the wind sail just gets even taller. And with the lengths you're looking at I wouldn't take any chances on the added articulation you will get from a 5er on a ball platform.

I just drove though some 75mph gusts and my companion saved my ass. That plate allows for an even distribution from the pin to the frame.

I would go for the B&W Companion slider. It's a heavy SOB but it's solid. Again the Anderson is a great hitch and it's well made with a lot of love behind it. However you're looking at changing variables which will require additional attention.

There is a reason why you see the semis with a plate. Transfer and balance more of the trailer onto the Axel.

#24 ·
With how your truck sits, I wouldn't worry to much. Tell the dealer to let you couple to a similar trailer to what you're looking to purchase and make adjustments accordingly. The back of your truck doesn't look much higher than my dually.
I would not for the B&W slider hitch. Don't be fooled by the "short bed friendly" bullshit the dealer will try to throw at you.
Lastly I would add a set of air bags to the rear of that truck, it will be a night and day difference in stability for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

#14 ·
It all depends on the weight of the trailer regardless of length. God forbid should the brake controller for the trailer fail, will you be able to get both vehicles to stop any time soon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I have a 39 foot Keystone Impact 361 toyhauler. I tow with a K3500 crew cab long bed with dual rear wheels. If my brake controller failed I would have a tough time bring both to a stop especially on a down hill grade!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Chevor I remember seeing the video for this. It was pretty funny. Are these even legal in all 50? Idk how well I would trust that but then again I haven't looked into them. Backing would be a 3 point back up or can you lock the pin?

#19 ·
Just looking for something to fit the XP 4 and two quads in it. RZR is just under 13' long. Ive always pulled a bumper pull with a weight distribution hitch and a couple of gooseneck flatbed trailers years ago. Never have pulled a 5th wheel.

#20 ·
I've seen those tow dollies and they seem like a good idea. They are typically connected to the truck at 3 points with a custom receiver and give you an extra axle of braking power. Reduces your GCWR though because now you've got an extra trailer of sorts.

Reactions: a8nistor
#27 ·
Go with the Goosebox and never look back. People who say they are not as solid as a 5th wheel hitch have never used one. The Gooseneck has many advantages, especially off road as they don,t bind up, and you don't have that 150lbs of rusting steel sitting in your truck. Also I like the safety chains. They take all of 10 seconds to hook up, and you have a secondary back-up system if everything else fails. I hear people claim the 5th. wheel hitch is the only safe hitch because Semi trucks use them and have for 80 years. The only hitch I personally have seen fail was a 5th wheel slider hitch on a new Ford and a new trailer. I helped him jack it back up with my hydraulic jack . What a mess, lots of damage. He swears he hooked it up right. It is about time after all the improvements to the trucks over the years that finally some great new hitch systems are coming out. I have had a 5th wheel hitch, and had no trouble with it. The thought of packing that heavy SOB in and out of the truck makes this old mans back ache. And then there is storing it. Dave-R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.