Maximum towing gvwr without CDL? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 01:41 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Maximum towing gvwr without CDL?

I own a auto dealership in Missouri, Its very inconvenient to have to bring 2 people to drive vehicles home to every auction. So i've been looking into getting a gooseneck car hauler. It didn't take me long to realize how terrible confused i am on what i can and cant tow without a cdl. Does anybody have any ideas? I think if your trailer is over 10k gvwr you have to have a cdl. I need a trailer that can haul a crew cab one ton diesel (the heaviest vehicle i usually purchase) but i would rather not have to get my cdl, dot number, etc. any ideas on this?
binks0678 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 01:42 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

also does anyone know if theres trailers made with something like 4k or 4500 pound axles, that would put you as close to the maximum without a cdl, and still be able to haul a 7k pound truck.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:54 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Kansas law and maybe everywhere 26,000 lbs GVW and less, no cdl. Thats truck, trailer, payload, fuel, bag of chips whatever. If your 26,001lbs you need a cdl to operate. Then you need to axle out your load so your not overweight on the truck or trailer.

Honestly if you contact your MDOT and ask 5 different people you will get 5 different answers. Things like DL class, logbook, tags, insurance carriers, radius you can travel with certain tags. So, it kinda depends on how lucky you are if you get pulled over and what kind of mood the officer is in. If you have a nice looking rig, lights working, and secured loads you have a lot less trouble.

1994 dodge ram 2500 CTD stock and gutless 4x4 auto reg. cab flatbed.
farmerkirkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binks0678 View Post
also does anyone know if theres trailers made with something like 4k or 4500 pound axles, that would put you as close to the maximum without a cdl, and still be able to haul a 7k pound truck.
you can get 5.2K axles but why, law doesn't require you to load to max rating.

1994 dodge ram 2500 CTD stock and gutless 4x4 auto reg. cab flatbed.
farmerkirkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 02:09 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

GVWR under 26k you are ok, but you have to watch the GCWR (Gross Combination Weitght Rating) which takes into account what the trailer is licensed for. I know for whagt I do If I take one of the trailers from the shop with dual tandem axles (trailer dualies) then I am under regs. If I take out a standard axle goose, it just depends on how loaded the trailer is and whether I am placarded as to whether I am under DOT regs or not.

Honestly it is super easy to get a class A CDL so that you know you are legal. It cost me 60 bucks and a day worth of time studying. I passed every test from the basic to hazmat and tanker on the first try. I failed combination because I dont know anything about airbrakes. I studied harder and passed that test the second time around. As far as logbooks go, I know at least in texas you are logbook exempt if it is intrastate (within state lines) as long as you are within a 150 air mile radius of your home base and work 12 hours or less in a day. if you go outside state lines your air mile radius is reduced to 100 air miles. You do have to keep a driver timesheet and post trip inspection reports on file for 60 days though.

If you are only doing 1 truck at a time you should be ok, but you might want to get a car hauler capable of 2 at a time, in which case you might need that CDL. a 3/4 ton will handle a 24k pound trailer without a problem (I haul one everyday with the work LML) Whatever you do, get the biggest axles you can afford under whatever you buy. they will hold up much longer that way too!

VIDEO HOW TO's

Last edited by timharry; 05-15-2011 at 02:11 PM.
timharry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 02:15 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

you might also find one of the DOT state troopers in your area to ask the question to. Out here look for the guy in a pickup truck or tahoe with portable scales to fine your ass on the side of the road, or go to your nearest state weigh station to ask that question. Those guys know and they would be the one to give a ticket for it. the dumb blondes at the office cant be relied on for any correct info. Many times you can find a consultant to help you with your paperwork. I know the guy we have charges like 250 an hour for his services, but he is worth his weight in gold for all the stupid questions we ask, and since he has been doing our safety training and paperwork for DOT we have not had a redtagged truck in 2 years with a fleet of 25 trucks!

VIDEO HOW TO's

Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I had read about the gvcwr being 26k....timharry i agree about getting different answers from different people ive been trying to get straight answers on this for a while and it seems like theres some gray areas. Me and one of my good friends who has his cdl talked about this for hours last night. He was pulled over and charged 2500 worth of fines BEFORE he had his cdl for hauling a 26 foot gooseneck with a excavator jackhammer on it. The officer told him, its basically all up to the officer that pulls you over (this guy was obviously the guy you DONT want to pull you over).

anyway back to my point its sounding like getting a class a cdl might be the way to go. Also though then dont i have to have a dot number, get my truck regularly inspected, carry a fire extinguisher and such?
Old 05-15-2011, 02:32 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

In Missouri it doesnt seem like there to strict on it, however i do a lot of business in Iowa and everyone i talk to says they are pains in the ass about everything like that.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:07 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

does anybody know if the trailer weight gvwr matters or do they only go by the total gvcwr because with an 06 crew cab 3/4 ton your gvwr is around 10k so if they only go by gvcwr i can get a 15k pound trailer and still be alright.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:47 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Your lookin at max of 200 bucks for fuses triangles and 10 lb BC fire extinguisher. I don't think the extinguisher has to be inspected but it does have to be charged and securely mounted. Mine is under the back seat. Dot numbers I am not sure on, but you don't have to have them permanently on the truck. Door magnets are legal as long as the letters are at least 1" and give company name and dot number. A little bit of hassle, but it keeps you out of the gray and black, and more importantly out of the courtroom fighting a huge fine.

I was really lucky march before Cdl when I got randomly pulled over moving from Odessa to Dallas. He decided my trailer was a bit overloaded and called the dot weight officer. 3 hours on the side of the road. 9500 pounds overweight and a long lecture about safety while towing a trailer he let me go. I was told by the officer my lack of Cdl, dot inspection, weight, and not being licensed could have landed me a $15k fine. I told him next time I moved I would make the wife get rid of more shoes. He laughed, gave me my warning and told me to go straight to my destination with the only stops being for fuel and bathroom.

VIDEO HOW TO's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.