towing capacity on older 2500 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 05:50 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

towing capacity on older 2500

I have a '01 2500HD Duramax. It has 200000 miles and the former owner hauled horses with a gooseneck. I would like to get a flatbed gooseneck with a GVRW of 14000lbs (appx 20-25ft). I would like to use it for some light local hauling. I don't plan on maxing it out very often.

Would it still be safe to pull 10000-12000lbs loaded on a regular basis? I know some powertrain and suspension mods will be necessary down the road but for now it is stock.

I need to know if it is worth my time and money to invest in a trailer and all the PennDOT regulations first.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
smoker01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker01 View Post
I have a '01 2500HD Duramax. It has 200000 miles and the former owner hauled horses with a gooseneck. I would like to get a flatbed gooseneck with a GVRW of 14000lbs (appx 20-25ft). I would like to use it for some light local hauling. I don't plan on maxing it out very often.

Would it still be safe to pull 10000-12000lbs loaded on a regular basis? I know some powertrain and suspension mods will be necessary down the road but for now it is stock.

I need to know if it is worth my time and money to invest in a trailer and all the PennDOT regulations first.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
welcome to the forum!
take a look at the sticker located inside your truck's driver side door jam, that is what the PADOT will be using as a guideline for the truck and loads, especially if you are going to be inspected.
imo, you'd be better off with a bigger truck, or a smaller trailer and load. i know the truck can pull it and all that good jazz, but it sounds like you may be state which the DOT may give you some trouble with too much loads on trucks. it would be best to check with your state's law regarding the your truck for buisness to see if you need special DOT numbers as well.
i hope this may help, good luck
efi-tuned by idahorob, egr blocked, pcv rerouted, lift pump, kodiac mp,autometer sportcomp gauges, turbo dp, 4" ss magna flow exhaust straight piped, firestone ab, kool-vue towing mirrors, 5th wheel hitch with slider, gooseneck hitch.
305 MT ATZ's on eagle alloy 17x10
jbrown1132@yahoo.com
alligatorperformance.com
atptrucks.com
Truck is sold....
jbrown1132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

thanks jbrown.

I agree a larger truck would be ideal but for now this is what I have. I am still making payments on the '01 and am not in a good enough place to buy a bigger truck.

I am trying to stay under 26000lbs so that I don't need a cdl. PennDOT is really strict and I know I will have to register it and run a log but am trying to do everything I can with what I have. If I can make a go of this then a 3500 dually will be next.

My biggest concern is can an older truck with high mileage handle loads close to its max rating?
smoker01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

smoker, with good vehicle maintenance, your truck will do fine. i would suggest a good efi tow tune from a well known tuner, you don't have to spend alot of money, you could buy a pretuned ecm or a dsp 2 or dsp 5 switch with adjustable tunes. the reason i suggest this is with a tow tune you can get the turbo brake which is great while towing, you will be glad to have that when your towing those loads. the extra power and torque is good as well.
my truck is a totally different machine with efi! do some research and you will find it is the best to use especially for towing.
efi-tuned by idahorob, egr blocked, pcv rerouted, lift pump, kodiac mp,autometer sportcomp gauges, turbo dp, 4" ss magna flow exhaust straight piped, firestone ab, kool-vue towing mirrors, 5th wheel hitch with slider, gooseneck hitch.
305 MT ATZ's on eagle alloy 17x10
jbrown1132@yahoo.com
alligatorperformance.com
atptrucks.com
Truck is sold....
jbrown1132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

if you are inspected by any DOT officer, your gross vehicle combination weight rating is the weight you cannot exceed. Unless the truck or trailer is registered at a weight either higher or lower than stickered, then that is what you'll have to go by.

If your truck is stickered at 9900lbs and your trailer is stickered at 10,000lbs your gvcwr is 19,900lbs. Don't exceed that and you'll be fine. I wouldn't go much over 20K with my combo weight, but thats me.

My Company - www.relienteti.com
RossThompson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Trailer weight

Followiung that ....I have a 2005hd duramax 6.6 crewcab. Wanted to purchase a larger alum. horse trailer...
fully loaded GVW of 14,000 lbs. and an empty weight of 11,720 lbs. Would hauling this trailer require a 3500hd since trailer+truck wt is over 22000?
Thanks in advance for any input. Also the specs on a 3500 are not much diff than a 2500hd. what gives there?
bub549 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Ur lb7 dmax will haul about anything u put behind it and 200000 miles that truck if it was maintained regularly still has lots of life left of heavy towing and lead footed driving
Bone stock 2012 cclb dually 4x4 LML - Sold 05 lly 6in rcd, 4in straight pipe, banks ram air, efi live, afe mp,20in moto metals,35 12/50 toyo open country mud terrains , mag hytec pans, di pricol boost and pyro gauges, and 149xxx and counting-was a great truck
duramaxen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Is there a chart for what a particular truck will haul and tow.
Bulldog48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.