Allison 5-6 Speed Conversion - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 07:24 AM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

here's a question, lets say someone built their transmission and did the appropriate valve body mods that are required, but then they switched to the 6speed conversion, do they need to re-modify the valve body then??
gold star of excellence award winner 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraskank View Post
5" = deeper sound. 4" = more of that pissed off two owls havin angry sex dmax sound at WOT.
a proud owner of a pound seven
usafduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 07:36 AM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I don't know--but I was told the valve body does come with a TransGo Jr. kit.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 AM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafduramax View Post
here's a question, lets say someone built their transmission and did the appropriate valve body mods that are required, but then they switched to the 6speed conversion, do they need to re-modify the valve body then??
No they don't.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 10:29 AM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

If ever planning to do it, wouldn't it be best to include the 6 speed conversion at the same time as doing a full rebuild? Seems like there would be considerable labor saving?
MBRP 4" Exhaust w/Corsa, BD manifold, BMoWheel, Suncoast hood, Airaid & AFE intake, EFI Live by Randy, Airdog, Fleece tap shifter, Autometer gauges, Frontier Extreme front & Rear bumper & running boards by Tietjen's, Line-X'd headache rack, front,rear bumper & running boards, B&W hitch, Sulastics, Pump rub kit, Clarion audio, Python remote, V-2 aux radiator kit, Mike L trans cooler, Transferflow 50gal aux tank/toolbox
GM DRW club member #25 & 26 & ? ~ Gots TRIPLE duallies!!!
Maxdout1: Harrisonburg, Va 540-442-0878
other truck shown: 1999 Blue EC LB 6.0L gasser , Xtra HD DRW conversion, 3500 commercial rear springs w/ Timbrens, CM SK steel flatbed, Ranchhand bumper, EFI torque tune,
Woodbankfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 AM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)

I have no knowledge on this at all nor have I searched but just wondering a common sense question.

"Couldn't you just find a 6 speed Allison and put that it in"

It seems like it would be way easier unless of course they don't bolt up to the earlier models or something.

I will shut up now for I am sure that I will get slammed for asking the question...lol
Mr. Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 07:08 AM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Neptune View Post
I have no knowledge on this at all nor have I searched but just wondering a common sense question.

"Couldn't you just find a 6 speed Allison and put that it in"

It seems like it would be way easier unless of course they don't bolt up to the earlier models or something.

I will shut up now for I am sure that I will get slammed for asking the question...lol

Short answer is no, you can't. Put in a 6spd and you will still only have 5spd. Can't swap the TCM's either because they run on different protocols. Another issue is that the TCM gets locked when you do the Suncoast 5-6spd conversion so you can't modify trans parameters with EFI later if you want to. That was really a big dealbreaker for me as well.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 AM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1843 View Post
There is NO pay-back on truck mods --- the wheels, tires, exhaust, lift,and etc-- all cost, and never "Pay-Back" anything. The best pay-back is -- leave it stock and drive it.

People buy and mod their trucks, because they have $$ to spend, it makes them feel good---------- and it helps the economy!

I love my 5-6 conversion, and it does reduce the cabin noise at cruise.

Disclaimer added-- The addition of the 6 speed, probably will not give much of an increase in fuel mileage.
haha AMEN, it makes me feel better until something happens then im pissed, then im happy again when i get to get something new.......WOW what a cycle, i love it, wife hates it

dont know much about the 5-6 conversion but if you end up getting it post what you think about it!
2003 lb7, Fab Tech 8in lift, Fox Shocks, 20s Moto Metal 37 X 13.5 Toyo M/T Open Country, Banks Intercooler,Banks Ram-Air Intake w/ Super Scoop, Banks Monster Exhaust, No Cats Straight Pipe, Banks Big Head Wastegate Actuator, Kennedy Diesel boost Valve, Autometer C2 Series Gauges, Horns from Hornblaster.com, Mag-Hytec Differential Cover, Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan, Tow Mirriors, Raptor 150,

www.centralfloridaduramax.com
EFI Live/ DSP5 with tunes by Justin at Blue Demon
Duramax_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 01:37 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)

My first post here and to an old threat at that but thought I'd share my experience. I purchased a suncoast 5 to 6 speed conversion for an 03 2500HD. Just got the truck back yesterday and have driven it twice. Everything is exactly the same except for the extra gear. I do mainly highway/freeway driving and rarely haul anything. I read the 03 duramax doesn't have enough torque for 6th gear and that it would be hunting for gears. I haven't experienced this so far. But as I said, I only got the truck yesterday and have driven about 70 miles on it. I'm liking the conversion so far.
galvarado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 PM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)

keep us posted on your driving and what you think about it. I have a 2005 HD and have been thinking of this conversion & getting the tranny beefed up at the same time.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 PM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)

Bring up an old thread, wanting a six speed and figure it would be cheaper to do this mod than buying a newer truck.

Any help would be grateful.
4" MBRP 409 SS Turbo back
EGR blocked
PVC Reroute DIY
ARE Topper
06 Air Intake to LBZ Mouth piece with PPE airbox mod
Fumoto Valve
Ranchhand Front and rear replacement
kepeollie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.