Allison 5-6 Speed Conversion - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 06:45 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Question Allison 5-6 Speed Conversion

Has anyone put the 5-6 speed conversion valve body in their allison? Is it worth the money?
kx500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 06:55 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Never done it before but I'm guessing it's not worth the money. They are like what 2300 dollars plus your time and labor and if I can remember they only drop about 300 rpm seems like you'd have to do slot of driving at highway speeds to pay off 2300 dollars in fuel savings. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:06 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I think i have seen past threads on this, and believe everyone said it would not be worth it
Built and tuned by Idaho Rob
2012 F-550 6.7L with a service body
New project: 04 Kodiak
Sold:
02 Chevy 2500 LB7 extended cab long box
94 12v cummins 5 speed manual RCLB 4x4
http://www.youtube.com/user/1370Blac...t?feature=mhee
www.atptrucks.com
CaseBlackKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx500 View Post
Is it worth the money?
no its not

Your going to spend over 2 grand with labor and all to install, instead of building your transmission (assuming its not built) to cruise 150-200rpms lower at 70 mph ?

04 LLY CCSB 4X4

battlegraduate09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

The kit is 1600.00. How in the hell do you figure 2K and over?
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
The kit is 1600.00. How in the hell do you figure 2K and over?
will you install the kit for $399.98 ?

If so im wrong

04 LLY CCSB 4X4

battlegraduate09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 06:13 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseBlackKnight View Post
I think i have seen past threads on this, and believe everyone said it would not be worth it

X2

Been asked before and unless you drive alot of unloaded highway miles you won't ever break even on the kit.
Much better to spend the money building your transmission to hold more HP/torque IMHO.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater

Last edited by MTL_Dmax; 10-22-2011 at 07:09 AM.
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 06:53 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There is NO pay-back on truck mods --- the wheels, tires, exhaust, lift,and etc-- all cost, and never "Pay-Back" anything. The best pay-back is -- leave it stock and drive it.

People buy and mod their trucks, because they have $$ to spend, it makes them feel good---------- and it helps the economy!

I love my 5-6 conversion, and it does reduce the cabin noise at cruise.

Disclaimer added-- The addition of the 6 speed, probably will not give much of an increase in fuel mileage.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry

Last edited by jc1843; 10-22-2011 at 07:18 AM.
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 07:09 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1843 View Post
There is NO pay-back on truck mods --- the wheels, tires, exhaust, lift,and etc-- all cost, and never "Pay-Back" anything. The best pay-back is -- leave it stock and drive it.

People buy and mod their trucks, because they have $$ to spend, it makes them feel good---------- and it helps the economy!

I love my 5-6 conversion, and it does reduce the cabin noise at cruise.

While I agree with what you're saying, I just wanted to point out that fact to those who may be looking at it to bolster their fuel economy in the hopes of lowering their overall expenses (ie ROI or "payback"). If people want to add the kit for other reasons (lower highway noise, less RPMs on motor, just want one, etc), then I certainly wouldn't discourage it provided they are well informed before putting down their hard earned money.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agreed and added a note!
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.