How often should you change trany fluid and filter? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 05:47 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

How often should you change trany fluid and filter?

I have a 2006 LBZ 4x4 with 105k on it and was just curious as to when the tranny fluid and fiter should be changed? The truck is used for puching snow all winter and pulling various trailers ranging from 3k lbs - 10k lbs..

Also, if I have someone do it, what should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

External filter should be done every 25k for severe service. Our dealership charges $75 with taxes and fees.
Mowerpan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

I recommend they be changed every 10/15K. I charge 10.00 for OEM Allison filter and install them free.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Severe service is classified by Allison as HD use like busses, large trucks etc. Every 50k for most fluids unless you use Castrol Transynd or AMSOIL Torque Drive and you manually flush the tranny. Then the drain interval is 150k miles. I recommend to all my customers to change the spin on filter about every 10-15k in conjunction with the fuel filter. You can change them very easily.

If I can answer any questions for you please, let me know.

Take care,
mrmanners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 04:27 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Here's Allison's specs,

http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...t=SA5429EN.pdf

Summary is,

factory fluid & Dex III fluids - 50,000 miles
TES-295 Synthetic (Transynd) - 150,000 miles

Spin on Filter - 50,000 miles
Internal Filter - Overhaul Only

General consensus on here is to change the spin on with every oil change or 10,000 miles.

EFI Live by IdahoRob at ATP
ZiGBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 02:48 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Fluid and filter

I just changed mine, for what i believe is the first time. I did both the filters, external, and internal. I dropped the trans pan, and to my delight, the fluid was like new, very bright red, absolutely no debris, or material in the pan at all. I was kind of surprised, since everyone on here rants and raves about needing a trans if you push your tuner past like level 2 and so on. I run my ppe race e.t. +2 tuner on level 4 all day, and used to run it on 5 for a while. I dont overly abuse my truck, only the occasional launch from a light when wanting to waste a ford or dodge for sport. And jumping on the throttle now and then to let the black smoke pour, but i really thought i was on borrowed time, and would see clutch debris in the pan. Anyone want to chime in here.... Anyone making good power and hasn't had to do a trans? My guys in the gm shop, keep telling me i am underestimating the allison, and think i'm nuts becuase i keep telling them i need to put a trans in it. What gives?
2010 CCSB Chevy Loaded LTZ Black Granite, Compound Turbos, 40 overs, studded heads, EFI Live, Suncoast Trans & Converter, Dual Fueler, AirDogII, amp steps, air bags, 2012 front end conversion, Train horns, 22" BMF Novakanes, 37" Mud Grapplers, CST at 7.5" W/Fox 2.0 Dual Shocks. 4.88 Yukon Gears, mag hytec cover, Caltracs

PREVIOUS D-MAX's

2007.5 GMC CCSB Full bolt on, PPE, 6" Pro-comp with Fox duals (Awesome Truck!)
2006.5 CCSB 4X4 LBZ Lifted
2002 ECSB Built to the hilt!
BLACK06LBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 08:41 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

All depends on how you drive it.

EFI Live by IdahoRob at ATP
ZiGBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 09:13 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK06LBZ View Post
I just changed mine, for what i believe is the first time. I did both the filters, external, and internal. I dropped the trans pan, and to my delight, the fluid was like new, very bright red, absolutely no debris, or material in the pan at all. I was kind of surprised, since everyone on here rants and raves about needing a trans if you push your tuner past like level 2 and so on. I run my ppe race e.t. +2 tuner on level 4 all day, and used to run it on 5 for a while. I dont overly abuse my truck, only the occasional launch from a light when wanting to waste a ford or dodge for sport. And jumping on the throttle now and then to let the black smoke pour, but i really thought i was on borrowed time, and would see clutch debris in the pan. Anyone want to chime in here.... Anyone making good power and hasn't had to do a trans? My guys in the gm shop, keep telling me i am underestimating the allison, and think i'm nuts becuase i keep telling them i need to put a trans in it. What gives?
You may have got by fine for now, but You will eventually have to do a transmission if you keep running on high level tunes... There is a reason that every single person who has pushed it now has a built transmission. It's not like we all just "think" we need one. Plus, those tunes you're running, would feel 50x stronger with a built trans. The allison is built well, but those gm "techs" are wrong. It will not hold it for long. But then again, there is those "freak" trucks that can hold that big tunes for longer than most

Last edited by Forever; 11-10-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Forever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 10:58 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

well...

I Guess I should have posed this more as a question. lets be more specific. DO the trans go out from daily driving, with occasional romps, or is it the hardcore drag racing, and pulling that smoke the trans? Am I right in assuming since my trans feels good, no issues, and there was no debris in the pan at this point, no burnt smell, and very clean fluid, that I am in good shape? IF the trans was being over worked, there would be some cluthc material, and maybe burnt smell right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
You may have got by fine for now, but You will eventually have to do a transmission if you keep running on high level tunes... There is a reason that every single person who has pushed it now has a built transmission. It's not like we all just "think" we need one. Plus, those tunes you're running, would feel 50x stronger with a built trans. The allison is built well, but those gm "techs" are wrong. It will not hold it for long. But then again, there is those "freak" trucks that can hold that big tunes for longer than most
2010 CCSB Chevy Loaded LTZ Black Granite, Compound Turbos, 40 overs, studded heads, EFI Live, Suncoast Trans & Converter, Dual Fueler, AirDogII, amp steps, air bags, 2012 front end conversion, Train horns, 22" BMF Novakanes, 37" Mud Grapplers, CST at 7.5" W/Fox 2.0 Dual Shocks. 4.88 Yukon Gears, mag hytec cover, Caltracs

PREVIOUS D-MAX's

2007.5 GMC CCSB Full bolt on, PPE, 6" Pro-comp with Fox duals (Awesome Truck!)
2006.5 CCSB 4X4 LBZ Lifted
2002 ECSB Built to the hilt!
BLACK06LBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.