Broken transfer case - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 02:32 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Fcaramadre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sauquoit NY
Posts: 53
Unhappy Broken transfer case

I posted already on here when I thought I blew a tranny line, But it was a lot worst than that so I decided to repost what happened. I was driving along an heard a pop come from under the truck I pulled over and saw tranny fluid coming out all over the place. I got under it today to see what happened. What i found was that the drive shaft yoke was broken and the drive shaft was hanging free. The transfer case is broken all the way around from the adapter. I don't know yet if the transmission is damaged( I hope not). Any one have this happen to them? I don't do burnouts or horse the truck, just normal everyday driving. Any one know what transfer case I have in this truck. It is a manual on the floor shift. Any help would be great. I really need to get this fixed. One day of driving my old Grand Cherokee and I really miss my diesel. Thanks
__________________
2002 chevy 2500hd single cab long bed Amsoil air filter K&N air tube superchips flashpaq programer
Fcaramadre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-03-2012, 02:45 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12
Transfercase issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcaramadre View Post
I posted already on here when I thought I blew a tranny line, But it was a lot worst than that so I decided to repost what happened. I was driving along an heard a pop come from under the truck I pulled over and saw tranny fluid coming out all over the place. I got under it today to see what happened. What i found was that the drive shaft yoke was broken and the drive shaft was hanging free. The transfer case is broken all the way around from the adapter. I don't know yet if the transmission is damaged( I hope not). Any one have this happen to them? I don't do burnouts or horse the truck, just normal everyday driving. Any one know what transfer case I have in this truck. It is a manual on the floor shift. Any help would be great. I really need to get this fixed. One day of driving my old Grand Cherokee and I really miss my diesel. Thanks
Did you ever figure out what happened to your transfer case? I think i have developed a slop in mine (2004.5) that is evident when i roll away from a stoplight. Theres a clank and sometimes when i come to a slow stop. Im crazy nervous about it.
gaatvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 03:04 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Fcaramadre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sauquoit NY
Posts: 53
It was not the transfer case that broke. It was the end of the tranny. I am told that drive line vibration was the cause(a bad ujoint?). The transfercase is fine and a used tranny anf my old transfercase is installed and working ok now. The end of the tranny that broke would have cost $560 from a dealer and the tranny had to come out to replace it. I found a used tranny and transfercase on ebay for $1500.
__________________
2002 chevy 2500hd single cab long bed Amsoil air filter K&N air tube superchips flashpaq programer
Fcaramadre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thomson, GA
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcaramadre View Post
It was not the transfer case that broke. It was the end of the tranny. I am told that drive line vibration was the cause(a bad ujoint?). The transfercase is fine and a used tranny anf my old transfercase is installed and working ok now. The end of the tranny that broke would have cost $560 from a dealer and the tranny had to come out to replace it. I found a used tranny and transfercase on ebay for $1500.
Had the same problem with mine, cracked rear housing and also needed a new transfer case. I knew I would need a rebuild eventually because by the time I got to the shop it was bone dry. Tranny made it about a year and finally really needed it done. The cause of mine was also drive line vibration.
hockeyGTP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Fcaramadre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sauquoit NY
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGTP View Post
Had the same problem with mine, cracked rear housing and also needed a new transfer case. I knew I would need a rebuild eventually because by the time I got to the shop it was bone dry. Tranny made it about a year and finally really needed it done. The cause of mine was also drive line vibration.
Was it bad ujoints or what that caused the vibration? I had a little vibration before this happened but not much. I was going on vacation for two weeks from work and figured I would change my joints out them. Well it didn't make my vacation and I spent it changing out a tranny and transfer case instead. Now I get a vibration at 50-60 mph when I let off or step on the gas. I am going to change the tranny mount and may look into a new output bearing in the transfer case because it took some real abuse.
__________________
2002 chevy 2500hd single cab long bed Amsoil air filter K&N air tube superchips flashpaq programer
Fcaramadre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thomson, GA
Posts: 41
Drive shaft was not balanced, was in an accident, and trashed all the u-joints. They do make a bracket for the rear transmission housing to help so it doesn't crack again.
hockeyGTP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran
 
primetime_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaatvr View Post
Did you ever figure out what happened to your transfer case? I think i have developed a slop in mine (2004.5) that is evident when i roll away from a stoplight. Theres a clank and sometimes when i come to a slow stop. Im crazy nervous about it.
my 01 had the same clunk and gm will tell you its normal! theres an aftermarket yoke out that you can buy to fix it or u can clean the drive shaft splines and yoke every 15-30k with carb cleaner and moly grease to help but it just don't last! theres a write up in the DIY section thats really good about this!
primetime_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 03:53 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
blackdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: calgary alberta
Posts: 4,615
Transmission Rear Housing Support
__________________
2008 CHEVY LTZ MURDERED THE F OUT WITH SOME SEXY TWINS AND OTHER GO FAST PARTS AND SOME SORT OF 9" LIFT ,ALPINE DOUBLE DIN,FOCAL FRONT AND REAR, TWIN 10" JLw3 AND AUDISON LRx 5.1K

2008 victory vegas low raked 45
1997 gmc 3/4 2wd parts wagon

Xtremeline Automotive Services
www.atptrucks.com
blackdeath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 04:21 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 541
it fits great have on on mine , i installed the brace and pump kit in mine great guys to deal with
__________________
05 3500 ccdrw lly, complete lbz banks ram-air intake set-up with with super scoope, egr deleted profab intake elbow , diamond eye 4' duals , diamond eye down pipe and no kitty efi by full throttle customs , edge insight cts for gauges ,lbz mp. and fuildamper .pcv reroute,right and left side boost tubes, banks techi cooler ppe ported fitting , afe rear diff cover magtec trans pan ,does it ever end airdog 2 165 bd manifold, merchant transfercase brace and rub kit , transgo jr, custom convertor . earls 82510aerl for trans cooler ,hellwig bigwig rear sway bar , fleece tap shifter

www.alligatorperformance.com
www.merchant-automotive.com
www.madjacksynthics.com
happyduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 05:39 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Fcaramadre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sauquoit NY
Posts: 53
I put the brace on mine when I put it together. I also bought a tranny and drive shaft that was in a truck that had an accident and was totaled out. I wonder if my drive shaft needs to be balanced too? How much does it cost to do something like that?
__________________
2002 chevy 2500hd single cab long bed Amsoil air filter K&N air tube superchips flashpaq programer
Fcaramadre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2