Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

swaping early year trans into a later model truck.. need help!

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tomz28 
#1 ·
ok guys i got sucked into helping out two friends. which is turning into a pain in the ass. got one guy that has a 04 duramax that the bellhousing broke looks like from a bad engine mount and or U-joint.

my other buddy has a trans he got because his trans was acting up. but before he talked to me he just went out and got a low milage 2001 trans. i fix the trans in his truck but now he is stuck with the trans he just bought.

so my one buddy sells the trans to my other buddy with the broken bell housing. no big deal right? wrong so we know the cooling line sizes are not the same. no big deal found adaptors ( 8-10 F50G5 if anyone needs some ). ok to the VB the early tranmissions have a extra Solenoid that drops line pressure to the conveter.

no big deal right ill swap VB...... i pull the pan on the trans that came out and WTF its got a the extra solenoid as well. what is going on here. i check the trans ID tag and it has 03 on it.

now im lost and not sure what is going on here. will the trans work ok with this older VB in a newer truck? i was told it will have a CEL that will always be on

input and ideas plaese!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
i want to say i saw mike L. post somewhere 01 02 trans are the same, and they changed things on 03-05 trans, i also think he said that extra solenoid doesn't show up until 04.5? i could be wrong but maybe that trans is newer than the tag shows?

#7 ·
Thanks Mike for the info. that is what i needed to know

#8 ·
this worked out well, but i will not be doing this again lol

#10 ·
big line is 7/8-14 small line is 3/4-16. find a parker dealer

#12 ·
yes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.