Any Albertans around? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Any Albertans around?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a good transmission shop (to install a Stage 5 kit) in Alberta, specifically around Calgary/ Red Deer/ Edmonton. I've heard MPL is good in Lacombe, any other suggestions? thanks!
2005 GMC CCSB, Built Trans, II S366, EFI Live with DSP5 from ATP, LB7 up-pipe, Max flow Manifold, Gauges, AFE MP, Banks Ram Air, PCV re-route, EGR delete with wehrli Fab 3" welded Y-bridge and IC pipes, PPE rail plug, 3.5" DP & 4" Banks straight pipe, AD II 165, PPE deep pan, Mike L trans Cooler, Belltech 3" shackles with Bilstiens, Cognito UCA and pitman/Idler support, Rare parts Tie rods, Firestone air bags, Pump Rub Kit, Hellwig BIG WIG rear SB, Recon/ Anzo smoked lights powered by HID's.

To Do: New set of Shoes and 45 overs
Drewsdmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 08:17 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I have had good luck with NADP personally, however.... a friends truck just sat there for a week, got phone calls about how his truck not starting well was due to a bad injector... truck was apparently pulled apart and ready to get a new injector in. He called today to find out the one service guy quit, was feeding customers a bunch of bullshit and his truck is actually still sitting outside.? They were VERY apologetic about it but are also very back logged because of this...

with that said, MPL in lacombe I have heard good things about. Spencer in Lacombe aswell was good but hes near impossible to get ahold of and seems to be shutting the doors ever other week.

I cant remember the name but I want to say in the high river area there is a very reputable smaller shop?
lsone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
^^^ Needs more $ for mods
Supporting Member

I'm interested? Just in case my trans packs it in...... Knock on wood.
20x9 Ultra Predators, 285 55R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, EFILive Autocal DSP5 (ATP) 5" Diamond Eye SS w/muffler, Diamond Eye Downpipe, Transgo jr. Isspro Ev2 gauges, PCV reroute, EGR blocked, Cognitto UCA's, pitman/idler arm supports, Bilstein 5100's, MA Stainless tierod sleeves, Billet grille, Roll N Lock, Line-X, AFE stage 2 intake, Chrome tow hooks, WeatherTech visors, Spyder LED Tail lights, Cree reverse lights, B&W Turnover ball, 1500 tailgate spoiler, Loadlifter 5000 airbags, wirelessOne

2013 Forrest River Wildcat Extralite 293 REX
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!! GO SEAHAWKS!!!
AJ 72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I know two good tranny shops in Edmonton, I know both do good work but neither one is cheap. "ProTech" did my Transgo Jr install, I'm very happy with the work but the price was way high (>$700 supply/install). "DOT Transmissions" also does great work and very honest, but not cheap, (they quoted >$1000 for Transgo Jr. installed)

I know most will say, well you get what you pay for, and I agree. But it would be nice to find a place that was reasonable with the pricing. I don't think it's possible in Calgary or Edmonton.

I think if I need a big kit put in my Tranny, ill just order a whole tranny allready done from Mike L. probably alot better value then getting it done here. That's exactly what "Varty Yo" in Sask did.

NADP is also very pricey on everything I checked. I have tried to buy from them but can't justify the cost.

Last edited by altamate; 11-14-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: sp
altamate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:46 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Wayne at GT Diesel in High River built mine. Awesome trans. Great service.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
dieseltwodoor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

There is a shop in Lloyd that does great work also a guy at the chev dealer in pincher creek builds a good trans. Look in the allison thread it has a list of good builders. AJ 72 look at driving down to Havre just across the border. Borgsons? got the mike L stamp of approval if its still the same guys working there.
EFI Live tuned by Idaho Rob, DSP5, ATP
Cognito set at 8" Nor-cal Truck
Fox 2.0 shocks all around, Deaver 6" springs
SS idler support/ Rare parts tie rods
37x13.50x20" toyo MT's/ XD Hoss wheels, Fuel Octanes
HID's All on mod/ AMP reaserch steps
Varty Yo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I was quoted $5500-6000 for parts and labour at MPL for a PPE Stage 5, which I'm sure is the going rate around Alberta. I might consider heading down to Kalispell for a few days next summer and save $1000 bucks or so... but who knows. I've heard of the guy down in pincher creek, but I have no idea how to contact him.

I heard mixed reviews about GT diesel in HR, some happy, some horror stories... don't know what to think!

Thanks for the input guys.
2005 GMC CCSB, Built Trans, II S366, EFI Live with DSP5 from ATP, LB7 up-pipe, Max flow Manifold, Gauges, AFE MP, Banks Ram Air, PCV re-route, EGR delete with wehrli Fab 3" welded Y-bridge and IC pipes, PPE rail plug, 3.5" DP & 4" Banks straight pipe, AD II 165, PPE deep pan, Mike L trans Cooler, Belltech 3" shackles with Bilstiens, Cognito UCA and pitman/Idler support, Rare parts Tie rods, Firestone air bags, Pump Rub Kit, Hellwig BIG WIG rear SB, Recon/ Anzo smoked lights powered by HID's.

To Do: New set of Shoes and 45 overs
Drewsdmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

The guy in Pincher works at the chev dealer. There is a guy in calgary who builds a great trans. He has been working on allisons for over 30years. Thats who will be building mine when i get a chance to drop my core and kit off to him.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Lorne Mitchell is his name give him a call! Thats the guy in Pincher
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Hey guys My name is Jared I own a shop called Castle Custom Trucks in Pincher Creek we are owned by the chevy and ford dealer in town and my mechanic is Lorne Mitchell and he has won the gm technician of the year award last year and the western skills challenge two years in a row i'm very proud to have him! I also have another master mechanic and fabricator in lethbridge as well his name is Bryce Nicolson he is currently working on a nova w/fiberglass body and a lb7 w/industrial silver 66 turbo and other goodies so he knows his stuff! I offer pricing to match or beat internet pricing on performance parts where i can! I'm also hooked up with a master trans builder in the states who builds some beautiful trans kits that rival the PPE stage 5 kits and are usually better priced as well! If you need any more info or details feel free to call or text me 1-403-627-9653.
jaredszakacs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.