help!!!!!!! 2012 trans issue ?? shift inhibited shift to n to reset - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Exclamation help!!!!!!! 2012 trans issue ?? shift inhibited shift to n to reset

hi there folks newbie here trying to deal with my wife's truck we are working with a 2012 3500HD drw chevy hauled two horses in our 4 horse from pa to maryland about 6 hrs round trip truck ran great not one single hic-up that was three days ago, today we were going to try to pick up one of the horses up no dice. truck started fine minus the check engine light was on let it sit for a few tried it again no check engine light but truck would not go into a gear r d m 123 none the line under each gear flashes saying inhibited shift to n to reset no matter how long you leave it in a gear wont go i did find out if i shut the truck down and strt it back up it will go for a sec or 3 then either stop or act like youve just put it in park. ok folks this is a 100% bone stock truck with 901 engine hours maybe around 28000mi on it but heres the real kicker now its acting as if theres nothing wrong with it!!!!! if anyone has any words of advise or whats going on with this thing thanks yall http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0085.gif
JohnnyBarkerIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Check the fluid level and the harness connection where it plugs into the back of the trans.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 10:58 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
born country
Supporting Member

did it say anything about abs? could be speed sensor on top, back of the transfer case. mine did this.
NEW TRUCK- 2006 LBZ cc/sb loaded southern coach, smoky mountain sportsman edition, 20" black hostile havoc's, 305/50/20 nitto trail grapplers, EFI LIVE by rob at ATP performance, 5" exhaust, transgo jr, egr blocked, pcv rerouted, isspro ev2 gauges, tinted windows, just gettin started!
Dmaxryan10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:01 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBarkerIII View Post
hi there folks newbie here trying to deal with my wife's truck we are working with a 2012 3500HD drw chevy hauled two horses in our 4 horse from pa to maryland about 6 hrs round trip truck ran great not one single hic-up that was three days ago, today we were going to try to pick up one of the horses up no dice. truck started fine minus the check engine light was on let it sit for a few tried it again no check engine light but truck would not go into a gear r d m 123 none the line under each gear flashes saying inhibited shift to n to reset no matter how long you leave it in a gear wont go i did find out if i shut the truck down and strt it back up it will go for a sec or 3 then either stop or act like youve just put it in park. ok folks this is a 100% bone stock truck with 901 engine hours maybe around 28000mi on it but heres the real kicker now its acting as if theres nothing wrong with it!!!!! if anyone has any words of advise or whats going on with this thing thanks yall http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0085.gif
Get me a code and call me. I may be able to help. 310 918 9678.
mike
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

hey guys thanks for the fast replies i will try those two things and see if i can get some codes i hate saying this on here but i drive a old cummins as i said this is my wifes truck are these code that i could go get read at advanced or auto zone or do i have to take it to dealer seeing as i dont have a scan tool for the dmax and the other issue is its sat we were supposed to be driving some horses tues morn and the dealer near us has a weird schedule for their one diesel mec. I also dont want this thing stranding us on the hwy with a horse and dont really want to have to drive ole faithful
Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

no abs lights just engine dummy light for two or three key cycles while it was running and warmed up when it would not go into a gear there was no engine light or any dummy light on
Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

You will need a professional scanner for this.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

10-4....Just went out to see if anything has changed fluid seems ok maybe a little low that is if 140 degrees is considered hot, but now the dummy light is back on it will shift and go very sluggishly the thing that gets me is the little _ that indicates what gear your in is not there now WTH it would flash before now its just M.I.A.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:27 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Almost sounds like limp mode. I always make sure my tranny is full my temp is over 100 I make sure it's full to hot. I'd try putting some fluid in it. Also try disconnecting your batteries for about 15 mins and then try it. My uncles truck went into limp mode one time for no reason and we just unhooked the batteries for about 15-20 mins and it never did it again.
Also when's the last time it was serviced. If you work on it yourself I'd change the fuel filter and tranny spin on filter.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
3" mbrp downpipe
s&b cold air
kennedy diesel egr block
20x10 eagle alloy
305 nitto terra grapplers
dsp 5 tunes by idaho rob
autometer c2 egt and boost gauges
flipped trans cooler
FATBOY666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Got codes p0700 p0708
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.