Allison rebuild questions - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 02:41 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Allison rebuild questions

I'm having my transmission rebuild by a local trans shop (Berks County, PA) called Todd's Transmission. They're doing a kit good for 700 HP and 1100 FT LBS, that will be more then enough for me don't really plan on adding much more power than I have currently. The main question/concern I have is when I asked what convertor they where going to use the trans shop said they where just gonna send my stock one out and have it rebuilt because the stock convertor's our very strong and will be able to handle the power. The shop also said that my computer for the trans was probably bad causing my shifting problems (wouldn't shift out of 3rd gear) saying the Allisons our strong trans and didn't think a chip/programmer could ruin one but then after going through the process of doing two trans relearns deciding it was actually the C4 clutch packs. The shop is specialized and certified in rebuilding the Allison trans and they're "experts" I just think that the stock convertor won't hold up and was wondering your opinions on here. Thanks for the help.

Previous Truck: 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Regular Cab 12 Valve 4x4, Farm Truck, 5 Speed South Bend 550HP Single Disk, BD Street Series Injection Pump 4000RPM Governor Springs Modified Fuel Plate, 5" Flo-Pro Exhaust, Fancy Green Paint Job, Got the Job Done
RegularCabLB7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
like a Ninja

if they said that id go get that truck and find someone else....
BIG Thanks to: IdahoRob, Mike L., Suncoast, BD Diesel, PPE, Fuel, S&B, Industrial Injection

Alligator Diesel Performance - 208-777-1977
guytonLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Sounds like you need to take it to a different shop.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:47 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

stop, no, dont!
EFI Live tuned by Idaho Rob, DSP5, ATP
Cognito set at 8" Nor-cal Truck
Fox 2.0 shocks all around, Deaver 6" springs
SS idler support/ Rare parts tie rods
37x13.50x20" toyo MT's/ XD Hoss wheels, Fuel Octanes
HID's All on mod/ AMP reaserch steps
Varty Yo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the fast replies, I'll be giving the shop a call tomorrow morning. I just wanna be back on the road again and can't wait for the bigger trans.

Previous Truck: 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Regular Cab 12 Valve 4x4, Farm Truck, 5 Speed South Bend 550HP Single Disk, BD Street Series Injection Pump 4000RPM Governor Springs Modified Fuel Plate, 5" Flo-Pro Exhaust, Fancy Green Paint Job, Got the Job Done
RegularCabLB7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
like a Ninja

if you let them just replace the C4 cluth pack and put a factory TC back in it its all a matter of time before youre back at square root 1 again.
BIG Thanks to: IdahoRob, Mike L., Suncoast, BD Diesel, PPE, Fuel, S&B, Industrial Injection

Alligator Diesel Performance - 208-777-1977
guytonLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
I know nothing
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularCabLB7 View Post
I'm having my transmission rebuild by a local trans shop (Berks County, PA) called Todd's Transmission. They're doing a kit good for 700 HP and 1100 FT LBS, that will be more then enough for me don't really plan on adding much more power than I have currently. The main question/concern I have is when I asked what convertor they where going to use the trans shop said they where just gonna send my stock one out and have it rebuilt because the stock convertor's our very strong and will be able to handle the power. The shop also said that my computer for the trans was probably bad causing my shifting problems (wouldn't shift out of 3rd gear) saying the Allisons our strong trans and didn't think a chip/programmer could ruin one but then after going through the process of doing two trans relearns deciding it was actually the C4 clutch packs. The shop is specialized and certified in rebuilding the Allison trans and they're "experts" I just think that the stock convertor won't hold up and was wondering your opinions on here. Thanks for the help.
Run away FAST!
REBUILDING AN ALLISON & BUILDING AN ALLISON FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

RUN NOW!! They have NO CLUE what they are talking about. If you let them
Build it you WILL regret it, do it right the first time, don't trust them.
Diamond Eye 4 inch turbo back exhaust
Moog problem solver upper and lower ball joints
Blistein 5100's up front
H2's Michelin 265/70/17 E, Ranch hand front bumper. EFI LIVE by Kory Willis
Purchased parts awaiting install:

AD 165,
Special thanks to:Brent@LDS, mrmanners@Synthetic Motorsports, and Kory Willis@latuning
Jesus loves YOU, Have you asked Him to be your Savior yet?
blitzin247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I made the same mistake with my dodge's tranny. Now I have a stock tranny for the price of a built one. Wish I would have done more research on the shop I went to and did it right the first time. Is there even anyway to get out of that shop if they have already started on it? I wish you the best of luck man.

"Quotes found on the Internet are not always accurate " Abraham Lincolon"
6.6 Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Todds is highly recommended-- many have had work done there. Mike L even recommended Todd in another thread in the Transmission section.

Here is the link-! New built trans
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, blocked, fingered, de-badged, PCV, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, PPE on 2, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.