Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

why no flush?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  0rion 
#1 ·
I have 106k on my truck. I bought it at 58k and I've been doing the spin on with every fuel filter change. With summer coming up and a couple planned trips towing I wanted to do a flush to get new fluid in there. Called the dealership here and they want $190 to do it. Like everything dealership related that seemed expensive so I got on here to see what a normal price should be. I've found several threads by searching that say not to flush but no reason why. Why don't you want to flush these trans? I see the drain and refill twice being recommended but no reason as to why that's the preferred choice. Seems excessively wasteful. My guess would be flushing stirs up/breaks loose crap in the trans that does more harm than good but that's just my guess. My other question is how much fluid does the cooler hold? Seems that if it's enough a drain and refill needs to be done twice then it's also enough to where twice isn't going to be enough.

#2 ·
ive flushed many dmaxs with no issues, i think most people do the double drain because they want to do things themselves and try to save money

as for the price you gotta look at the prices, price out 17 quarts of fluid then about 1 hour labor thats usually around $100, so $190 sounds about right

#4 ·
the flush machine i used used the trans pump to flush it, then when it was done it would just circulate the fluid until the vehical was shut off

#6 ·
I bought my 2001 with 65k on the odometer. I had mine flushed at a local shop and then a month later I changed it twice myself with Amsoil transynd. I now change it annually with Amsoil and so far have not had any problems. I have 155k on the truck now. I cannot say with certainty that it is the best route to go but it has worked out for me so far.

#7 ·
I've done the HOOT method and it worked well for me. I only wasted a couple of quarts because I had a hard time telling a difference between the old and new. I had added a couple of extra quarts when I did the flush because I knew I would waste some. Get a buddy to help you be careful not to run the pump dry. I flushed it with a 120,000 miles on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
I'm all about doing things myself if I can. I was going the dealership route just out of convenience but to be honest with you I cringe even thinking about someone else working on my stuff. They rarely, if ever, take the kind of care with it that I do. I had thought about using the bucket method and just running fluid through it myself. The double drain/fill just seems extremely wasteful to me. That's throwing $50 away minimum is the way I look at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.