Broke off torque converter bolt? Help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 03:13 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Broke off torque converter bolt? Help

I got all the torque converter bolts back in except one...somehow it got started wrong and I sheered the head off....what ever do I do now? Any ideas? I was trying to use a easy out but broke the tip off inside the stud...getting worse all the time?? Any help would be appreciated. I imagine I am going to have to drill the hole bigger and rethread.
windowbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 03:34 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowbarn View Post
I got all the torque converter bolts back in except one...somehow it got started wrong and I sheered the head off....what ever do I do now? Any ideas? I was trying to use a easy out but broke the tip off inside the stud...getting worse all the time?? Any help would be appreciated. I imagine I am going to have to drill the hole bigger and rethread.

Those easy outs are usually hardened so that really sucks.....you can either use a TIG welder and weld on a nut or try to freeze and break it up in the hole.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 03:35 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Go Green!

Normally you would pull the trans and converter as one unit. in this case id yank the trans and leave the converter hooked to the flex plate. Then you might have to yank the flex plate and try to separate the two on a bench instead of trying to fight it through teh starter hole
Old 10-31-2013, 03:45 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Always in process
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud556 View Post
Normally you would pull the trans and converter as one unit. in this case id yank the trans and leave the converter hooked to the flex plate. Then you might have to yank the flex plate and try to separate the two on a bench instead of trying to fight it through teh starter hole
I hope your joking. For one if he broke the head off he can still pull the converter and trans as one. How do suppose he gets the flex plate off if the converter was bolted to it?

06 CC/SB
Limitless Diesel Trans,Twins,ARP's,Tuning from Kory Willis

03 CC/SB shop drag truck project.
lb7dirtyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 03:50 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Go Green!

not 100% of his situation, or if the converter is even stuck to the flywheel or not.. so its just an option.

If there is only one stuck bolt you should be able to have to converter rotate far enough out of the way unbolt the fly wheel.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

I have had similar situations where I used a reverse twist drill bit and a good reversable drill to back out a broken bolt where I couldn't remove the piece to work on it. I made a small pilot hole and then used an M44 cobalt reverse twist bit slightly smaller than the bolt diameter with lots of downward pressure, spun it right out.
2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
ALLY Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Always in process
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud556 View Post
not 100% of his situation, or if the converter is even stuck to the flywheel or not.. so its just an option.

If there is only one stuck bolt you should be able to have to converter rotate far enough out of the way unbolt the fly wheel.
I'll bet it's not stuck to it.

06 CC/SB
Limitless Diesel Trans,Twins,ARP's,Tuning from Kory Willis

03 CC/SB shop drag truck project.
lb7dirtyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 03:58 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Go Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb7dirtyM View Post
I'll bet it's not stuck to it.
I doubt it is. But how about we give him options as we dont know the details on whats going on.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

The tranny is back in the truck..so I would rather not remove that again if I dont have too. And the head broke off so the stud is still in there holding the flex plate and torque conveter together. All the other bolts are in and tight. How would you freeze it? Its kinda hard to get too but I did remove the engine mount so that helped. It's on a 12 so the new frame gets in the way pretty bad. I am trying to think on how I could start a pilot hole dead center, maybe get a hole saw that fits in the hole with a pilot bit. Thanks for the ideas...was messing around all afternoon with it and is not going
Old 10-31-2013, 04:10 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

The converter has too come off in order to remove the flexplate. I think I am stuck with how it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.