Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Leaking Transmission Cooler Lines

160K views 147 replies 71 participants last post by  68Ss 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, I did the forum search and read through a lot of threads about home made fixes. Hasn't been any new threads in quite some time and never came across anyone that is actually marketing a fix. So...

I have one line leaking at the crimp. It is the line running into the radiator coming from the tranny. The other two are not leaking yet. So questions are:

Is anybody marketing a fix for this or do we all have to resort to factory replacement or a modification at the local hydraulics shop? What has been the preferred method of upgrade? I have seen people referring to push-lok, compression fittings, etc. What has everyone been using? Thanks in advance.

Travis

Click Here: http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/husker-diesel/78584-leaking-trans-cooler-lines.html

#79 ·
Show me some pics of that truck in the Avatar............Love it !!!

#83 · (Edited)
Recall's

Recalls are only issued if it's a safety concern, AFAIK.

More likely we would see as a result of any litigation, coverage under existing power train warranty or reasonable extension on that. Which is pretty much where it already stands anyway; it's hit or miss warranty coverage depending on the dealer. Some cover, others don't.

Of course, assuming MY leak doesn't get any worse, $250 buys a lot of transmission fluid which I'm currently consuming at about a quart every 2500 miles.

As I get older, my desire to do things like crawl under a truck for half my day dwindles... but I'm still a cheap ass that doesn't want to pay for something I can do myself. Aah dilemmas...

F

#85 ·
Having the dealer replace the line is just repairing the problem with the same soon to be problem. The issue is the crimp. Where ever GM buys their hoses they suck. I replaced them at 11K, 33K, and now I have to do it at 60K. Looking for a good write up on it. I have gotten as far as removing my front right fender but I cant get a good bite on the lower hose. Seems like the radiator hose is in the way but even if I remove it the seems to be in the way. Does anyone have any tips for me. Also what size is the nut?

Thanks
Justin

#94 ·
Why not cut the POS crimp off and just clamp it ????
:help

#86 ·
Dealer fixing even out of warranty

I found my transmission cooler line was seeping fluid at the crimp so I went to the dealer after being told at the oil change shop that it was common. The dealer also said it was common and they stock all the replacement lines. When I told them I had 38K miles the dealer said it was out of warranty work and would cost $360 for the one line.

I asked if it was so common, why wasn't GM just replacing the defective part for free? The dealer (the parts manager is a friend) suggested calling GM customer service. I did and explained that everyone knew it was a problem and the dealer has all the replacement parts, why didn't they do something about it?

Customer service called the dealer while I was waiting in the parking lot on hold, talked with the service manager, and then told me that there does seem to be a problem and what would I like? I told them they should fix it. He said he would send it on the the regional manager (I am in SW Washington) and get back to me on what they would do. A couple of weeks of phone tag later, customer service called and said the dealer would replace the leaking line for free.

So, hopefully the new line, or either of the others, don't leak again, but at least they replaced one that is currently leaking.

I would suggest anyone that has this problem call customer service and try the same thing. Maybe if GM gets a bunch of these complaints they will issue a free replacement for everyone.

Good Luck!

#88 ·
I found my transmission cooler line was seeping fluid at the crimp so I went to the dealer after being told at the oil change shop that it was common. The dealer also said it was common and they stock all the replacement lines. When I told them I had 38K miles the dealer said it was out of warranty work and would cost $360 for the one line.

I asked if it was so common, why wasn't GM just replacing the defective part for free? The dealer (the parts manager is a friend) suggested calling GM customer service. I did and explained that everyone knew it was a problem and the dealer has all the replacement parts, why didn't they do something about it?

Customer service called the dealer while I was waiting in the parking lot on hold, talked with the service manager, and then told me that there does seem to be a problem and what would I like? I told them they should fix it. He said he would send it on the the regional manager (I am in SW Washington) and get back to me on what they would do. A couple of weeks of phone tag later, customer service called and said the dealer would replace the leaking line for free.

So, hopefully the new line, or either of the others, don't leak again, but at least they replaced one that is currently leaking.

I would suggest anyone that has this problem call customer service and try the same thing. Maybe if GM gets a bunch of these complaints they will issue a free replacement for everyone.

Good Luck!
Please post the GM Customer Service number you used.

Thx, Jim

#87 ·
I'm going to be changing one of my lower transmission lines on my new body style Silverado 6.6 (Allison). Are there any tricks or is it just loosen the nut. I have the new gm line, it has a black plastic ring at each end. I see on the transmission and radiator where it conects, there is a nut but the line does not have any threads. Yes mine is leeking at the crimp, the paper tag on the old line out lasted the line itself.

#93 ·
So far $300.00 that's my mechanic, dealer wanted $500 and i still have a little leak. This sucks.

#95 ·
Great Thread

I too have found the source of the red spots in the snow; leaky tranny cooler lines. Found this thread and learned a bunch. Looks like I will be ordering the Husker lines and replacing them myself. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.

#96 ·
Happy with my solution

In the picture are all 5 cooler lines, 3 ATF and 2 oil. The cost was $275 from one of my local hydraulic shops. Probably more expensive than replacing them with OE parts, but I'm sick of doing it (this would have made the 4th time in 120k. The gentleman even assembled and timed them for me. If they ever start leaking again I'll be stunned, but the short hose sections can now much easier be replaced than the whole line.

Attachments

#97 ·
In the picture are all 5 cooler lines, 3 ATF and 2 oil. The cost was $275 from one of my local hydraulic shops. Probably more expensive than replacing them with OE parts, but I'm sick of doing it (this would have made the 4th time in 120k. The gentleman even assembled and timed them for me. If they ever start leaking again I'll be stunned, but the short hose sections can now much easier be replaced than the whole line.
X2..............Do it right once and never look back...........:drink

#98 ·
New to the forum and glad I found it.

Took my 07 GMC 2500 for it's 50k service (transfer case and transmission filter/oil) last week and had the dealer tell me the lines were leaking. Was quoted $500 with most of the cost due to 4 hr labor to swap. Fortunately, I didn't have that much time and I was a bit skeptical that those lies would leak with only 50k on the truck.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice NOT to use new GM lines as is. Will probably go with Jesse's lines and find someone to install them.....now about those tie rod ends they said were bad......

#101 ·
hey my line blew on the pass side and the truck wouldnt move due to no pressure today and lost lots of oil! could i have cooked my tranny?? i pulled over right when it happened and shut my truck off..someone please chip in with some answers
thanks!

#102 ·
I noticed today that I had some tranny fluid on my suspension and followed it back to the same lines ... they seem to not be leaking that bad ... should I be worried ?

#103 ·
Tranny Lines are cheap when compared to Tranny's !

#104 ·
#105 ·
Even with the issues I've had, I would still buy these again and NOT the ones that you linked. I don't see anything good from eliminating the sections of hardline, nor do I see any reason to unbolt the lines from the cooler potentially causing damage in the process.

My buddy just had the infamous OEM lines go south on his LMM and I pointed him to Tony for the replacements!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.