Leaking Transmission Cooler Lines - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 PM   eBay Motors  #41 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I've got an 07 classic 2500hd silverado duramax diesel. The tranny lines started leaking at 22,500 miles. The dealer replaced them at no charge. I now have 76,000 miles and two out of the three lines are leaking again. The dealer wants 200 for the three lines and 610 for labor to change all three ( plus tax).
I don't want to use the junk from the dealer.

The lines that Husker Diesel sells look great to me. Has anyone ever used them? If so how many miles have you driven with the new lines? Any problems with the tranny using the new lines?

Thanks in advance for the input!
buckkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 AM   eBay Motors  #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkill View Post
I've got an 07 classic 2500hd silverado duramax diesel. The tranny lines started leaking at 22,500 miles. The dealer replaced them at no charge. I now have 76,000 miles and two out of the three lines are leaking again. The dealer wants 200 for the three lines and 610 for labor to change all three ( plus tax).
I don't want to use the junk from the dealer.

The lines that Husker Diesel sells look great to me. Has anyone ever used them? If so how many miles have you driven with the new lines? Any problems with the tranny using the new lines?

Thanks in advance for the input!
I'm attempting to install them right now. Honestly, i'm lost. The hoses are labeled but i thought there'd be some sort of directions. I don't know if i'm supposed to be replacing the steel tubing part or not. Guess i'll call and ask
jason372923 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 AM   eBay Motors  #43 (permalink)
ASE Certified PartsWhore

Quote:

Thanks for your interest. I'm not sure why you would be concerned with problems with your transmission after installing the lines. There is nothing to worry about there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason372923 View Post
I'm attempting to install them right now. Honestly, i'm lost. The hoses are labeled but i thought there'd be some sort of directions. I don't know if i'm supposed to be replacing the steel tubing part or not. Guess i'll call and ask
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I'm pretty sure I just talked to you on the phone and got you on track. Like any modification thats planed on a truck, its very important to be comfortable with the task at hand. Sure, it sounds easy to change a cooler line, but there are some people that don't work on trucks every day and have questions.

If you need more help give me a call, I'm sure you will figure it out.

Thanks!

Jess
We will gladly match any competitor's deal!

HuskerDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 09:43 AM   eBay Motors  #44 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

These leaking lines are a pain in the butt. I've had my truck for less than 2 months now. Bought it with 26k on it. Had it a few days and noticed it leaking. The dealership changed the lower cooler line. Just had the upper line changed yesterday. Hopefully the new hoses will hold better. Once out of warranty, will put some better hoses on if I have more problems.
Completely stock

Last edited by blueox08; 01-05-2011 at 09:59 AM.
blueox08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 AM   eBay Motors  #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnkrupt View Post
Thanks for your interest. I'm not sure why you would be concerned with problems with your transmission after installing the lines. There is nothing to worry about there.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I'm pretty sure I just talked to you on the phone and got you on track. Like any modification thats planed on a truck, its very important to be comfortable with the task at hand. Sure, it sounds easy to change a cooler line, but there are some people that don't work on trucks every day and have questions.

If you need more help give me a call, I'm sure you will figure it out.

Thanks!

Jess

Yes sir we just spoke on the phone and got everything squared away. Now that i see exactly how the hoses route it doesn't look too bad. Now i just have to wait until i get a new trans cooler radiator this afternoon since i snapped off the connection on the old one trying to get the hose off. :booboo
Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM   eBay Motors  #46 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I'm having my lines changed at a shop. Should take the pro 3 to 4 hrs to change all 3 lines.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 PM   eBay Motors  #47 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm having my lines changed at a shop. Should take the pro 3 to 4 hrs to change all 3 lines.
If i had it to do over again i'd do the same. Way more involved than i thought. I didn't really climb under and look before i ordered the hoses.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM   eBay Motors  #48 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

replacing lines lead to leaking tranny cooler

I ordered the 3000 psi tranny lines for my 07 silverado duramax diesel. My mechanic installed them today. He also told me that the tranny cooler is leaking. I told him it wasn't leaking when I brought it there. He said, " while it's leaking now". He tells me the cooler is $200! ! I need a new cooler now, great.

Thinking that he caused the leak when he removed or installed the lines, I asked where it was leaking. He told me in the corner on a weld. Something didn't sound right. Especially since I first had the dealer look at my truck. The dealer said all 3 lines were leaking. They said nothing about a leaking tranny cooler! So I drove over and met the mechanic to see where the cooler was leaking. The neck of the cooler was leaking just below where the tanny line connects to it. It was very obvious that the neck got stressed taking off the factory line or installing the new line. I told him this. He said, " we put a wrench on the housing while removing and installing the lines, to protect the neck on the tranny cooler". While it didn't work!

He quoted me 3 to 4 hrs to replace the lines for an estimate. He told me it took him 9 hrs to replace all 3 lines! I was planning on paying 3 to $400. for labor. I'm not paying $900 that's nuts! I'll get the bill when the cooler is replaced.

I don't think I should have to pay for the cooler. I think he should. What do you guys think?

For those of you who have changed all 3 lines and installed the 3000psi lines from huskier diesel how long did it take you?

Thanks for any input!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 PM   eBay Motors  #49 (permalink)

Quote:
I ordered the 3000 psi tranny lines for my 07 silverado duramax diesel. My mechanic installed them today. He also told me that the tranny cooler is leaking. I told him it wasn't leaking when I brought it there. He said, " while it's leaking now". He tells me the cooler is $200! ! I need a new cooler now, great.

Thinking that he caused the leak when he removed or installed the lines, I asked where it was leaking. He told me in the corner on a weld. Something didn't sound right. Especially since I first had the dealer look at my truck. The dealer said all 3 lines were leaking. They said nothing about a leaking tranny cooler! So I drove over and met the mechanic to see where the cooler was leaking. The neck of the cooler was leaking just below where the tanny line connects to it. It was very obvious that the neck got stressed taking off the factory line or installing the new line. I told him this. He said, " we put a wrench on the housing while removing and installing the lines, to protect the neck on the tranny cooler". While it didn't work!

He quoted me 3 to 4 hrs to replace the lines for an estimate. He told me it took him 9 hrs to replace all 3 lines! I was planning on paying 3 to $400. for labor. I'm not paying $900 that's nuts! I'll get the bill when the cooler is replaced.

I don't think I should have to pay for the cooler. I think he should. What do you guys think?

For those of you who have changed all 3 lines and installed the 3000psi lines from huskier diesel how long did it take you?

Thanks for any input!
I broke the weld on my transmission cooler as well. $151 to get a new one from the dealer. But it was my fault i didn't support it when i tried to get the factory lines off. It's very obvious this is exactly what your mechanic did as well. Best of luck trying to get him to pay for it though. I guess you could tell him if he ever wants anymore business from you he should replace it for free.

Like i posted above had i known how involved this was i wouldn't have done it myself because i'm not a mechanic, far from it. I've done my own exhaust, shocks, hitch, etc but that's about as far as i've gone. So needless to say it took me much longer to install my lines than i anticipated. I'd say i put in at least 16 hours total. I also messed up and disconnected both radiator hoses at the same time so the cooler part fell into the radiator and i had to remove the entire radiator to get it back in place, huge pain in the ass.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 PM   eBay Motors  #50 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Is it the design of the hoses that are causing all these problems. Just seems like two people are having the same problem. I want to order some but this is starting to make me think twice.
MODS - S475 OVER STOCK, PPE V, AIRDOG 165, PPE MANIFOLDS AND UPIPES, DTS INTERCOOLER PIPE, RDL Y BRIDGE,45 OVERS, COGNITO BRACES, RARE PARTS TIERODS, COGNITO BRACES, ATP EFI, 6 INCH ZONE LIFT, COGNITO UPPERS, BLACK 20s AND 35s FEDERAL MTS

HUGE THANKS TO EMILLER3,BLACKDIRTYMAX,CRAZYCREW, AND IDAHOROB
GLASSMAN JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.