Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Leaking Transmission Cooler Lines

160K views 147 replies 71 participants last post by  68Ss 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, I did the forum search and read through a lot of threads about home made fixes. Hasn't been any new threads in quite some time and never came across anyone that is actually marketing a fix. So...

I have one line leaking at the crimp. It is the line running into the radiator coming from the tranny. The other two are not leaking yet. So questions are:

Is anybody marketing a fix for this or do we all have to resort to factory replacement or a modification at the local hydraulics shop? What has been the preferred method of upgrade? I have seen people referring to push-lok, compression fittings, etc. What has everyone been using? Thanks in advance.

Travis

Click Here: http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/husker-diesel/78584-leaking-trans-cooler-lines.html

#2 ·
Was really hoping to see some fixes in here. Mine starting leaking again. Was hoping for a good fix. Thinking about cutting the crimp off and putting a hose clamp on. Worth a shot a guess. Can't hurt to try it first.

#18 ·
did u ever do this?

#3 ·
Ya the local NAPA makes Hydraulic hoses. I had my trans line replaced under warranty. Next time Ill get them made that way

#4 ·
ya i need to do mine. i think i am just going to go to john deere and have em put me some fittings on a hose and do it that way. it will be WAY cheaper then the GM crap.

#8 ·
If you buy all 3 lines from the dealer, the price will be very close to $100. The new lines probably won't last too long. Just did mine and will take my old lines to our local hydraulic shop to have the leaking line replaced with quality hose and a crimp that will stay crimped.

#7 ·
Still no good answer to this other than go to a hydraulics shop. Wheres the kit from some reputable dealer? As bad as this is you would think someone would want to make a better a part and a little cash to boot.

#9 ·
there is a place here that sells semi trailers and has a napa tubes and hoses i take all of mine there to get the hose replaced with a better one and a better crimp dones 3 trucks now with no leaks yet, not to say they wont leak again but i had to try somethin

#12 ·
My line from the tranny to the radiator started leaking this week. I think my plans are to have a shop make me some new ones. Can anyone offer any estimated repair time? it looks like a total pain to get to.

#13 ·
I had my transmission line repaired with a hydraulic hose and high pressure crimps for $35.00 and it was the line which hooks into the bottom of the radiator. If you do it this way youll never have to replace the line again. i had purchased a new line from gm, and when i put it on the transmission it wasn't shifting right. found out that the rubber hose made onto the line was thinner than the original and fluid wasnt flowing thru it like it was suppose to. The hose was trying to pinch closed and the transmission was starving for fluid and would shutter under a load. line is fixed now and you cant even pinch it closed because it is reinforced. If truck is under warranty let them fix it, if its not then fix it your self and it want take but about an hour or so.

#15 ·
Yeah, mine just started leaking, I guess the shoe's on the other foot now, lol. I've changed dozens of oil and trans cooler lines on GM trucks.

#17 ·
OK, read the post and still puzzled! :confused: I have two lines leaking (both on passengers side, leaking at the crimp). I took both lines out and took them into the local shop to install new rubber hose and ends. They convinced me to just let them recrimp the old ones and try that first (FREE). I had this done but now, before I go through all the work putting them back in, I want to pressure test them to insure they are indeed FIXED. Pressure tested them at #100 of air pressure and no leaks.
Can anyone tell me the working pressure of the Allison transmission? Has anyone else tried this fix for the cooling lines?:help

Thanks GUYS
2007 GMC Duramax - Bullydog -- 23 mpg (can't gripe)

#23 ·
125PSI static pressure, which means you want hose and fittings rated at 250 PSI. Hose should have a working temperature range of +300 -40 degrees (f). A commecial example would be Goodyear BlueJacket hose.

All Season Diesel looks like they have cobbled together some hose and A/N fittings in a kit for $225.00
LLY/LBZ/LMM 2006-2010 3-Line Trans Line Repair Kit [LLY/LBZ/LLM 2006-2010] - $225.00 : All Season Diesel Performance, Your Duramax diesel performance headquarters by Tony Burkhard owner of the Dirty Hooker

For that price (actually a lot less) I would have a hydraulic shop make up set of 5/8 ID (.062/.065) hoses from stainless dual braid Aeroquip aerospace grade hose with AN-12 Aeroquip stainless sweep fittings. Still not cheap but these will not have any restriction, will never break, leak, or wear out. Fix it once and be done with it.

#22 ·
I would have new fittings put on. I'm sure the re-crimp will work for a while, but each crimp is going to work harding the metal making it weaker each time. So its not going to hold as long as the first crimp. Plus you already have them out and I'm sure it doesn't cost a lot to have new fittings put on.

Pretty sure the pressure isn't more than 100 p.s.i., which is a lot. If it were more it would explode the radiator and surely pop that cheesy snap ring off or really leak out those terrible crimps. Just my two cents.

#25 ·
Took hoses to Hydraulic shop and had new hose (a lot thicker) and new crimps put on. $9.95 --- I can see the main problem with the original lines is in part due to there not being a lot of jagged surface for the hose to grip on to. With the thicker hose and the new crimps, I hope my troubles are over. BUT, Have talked to previous owners of GM vehicles and some have replaced lines three times. BUMMER!
These leak again, I'll go with the compression fittings and braided hose. Thanks for the help!

#26 ·
we will have the LBZ/LMM 5/8" crimped hoses ready to ship next week. The LB7/LLY ones will be a week or so out.

This isn't cheap crap like I see online. Its all Parker and top of the line.

Kits will be around $200-$225 + shipping with a lifetime warranty.

give us a call if you need to get some coming!

Jess

#27 ·
Jess,

How about some pics of what you put together? Thanks.

Travis

#33 ·
three lines. Look on radiator right side (2 ports), left side (1 port). one of the lines on right side goes to the small transmission cooler in the front of the engine cooler (right behind your grill). One goes to rear of transmission.
They usually leak at the crimps at each connection of the rubber hose you'll see on each line. If your not seeing a puddle of red transmission oil, your fine for now.
But, when you do see a leak. fix a.s.a.p.. They leak a lot more under pressure driving down the road. My transmission was two quarts low when I caught mine leaking.

#35 ·
do you also want to know the tips to running a sucessful business? Here is a couple...

#1 - Build something that people need
#2 - Make it perfect by R&D
#3 - Sell it at a price thats fair
#4 - Don't share ideas with others
:eek:

The lines look easy to make, but give it a try and let me know how it works out.

Our lines fit perfect and you would be hard pressed to touch the price we sell ours for.

There are some cheaper kits out there, but none better. We use all Parker fittings and back them up with a warranty through us, not some BS part timers website.

We also offer support when you are struggling getting the old ones out or the new ones in.

Again, this all sounds easy, to those that have never changed a set.

Spend your money and time wisely. Also food for thought.

JH

#37 ·
i didnt mean to offend u i just wanted to know the thread pattern on the fittings i own all the stuff to make the lines i make lines every day i just figured i would ask to see what the fitting was before i took the lines off and then found out i didnt have the fittings i needed once again im not trying to steal your idea sorry i just wanted some advice:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.