Torque converter problems!!!!! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 04:21 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Torque converter problems!!!!!

Just bought my first duramax Tuesday and now it broke down with what we think is a bad torque converter... Had a 2500 gas and trans temp would climb to 200 pulling 4k daily and thats with 2 coolers. So I traded like an idiot an bought a 03 gmc 3500 dually with allison. The day before it broke down the temp went up to 190. (a foreseen problem, maybe in both trucks?) I still think that it will be a much better truck that just needs a few kinks worked out of it... I talked to the dealer(small car lot) and he said that he would like to fix it for me.. Should I be scared of their mechanic or let them try and make it up to me? I know you can't put anything but an allison replacement in it, can you?
Lawnjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 05:06 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Slave to the Interwebs

What makes you think it is a bad converter???? I do not know if I would trust a little mom and pop used car dealer working on my truck either. Look into buying a suncoast or equivilant converter they do not cost much more than a stock one and will handle a lot more abuse

Ohh and I moved your post so it will get a little more veiwing.BTW welcome to the site and good luck.

06 2500 CREW CAB 4X4 LBZ LOONNGGGGG BED
EXHAUST,EFI LIVE,S&B COLD AIR INTAKE
AUTOMETER GAUGES, TRANSGO JR, BLOCKED, TIE ROD SLEEVES...

WORK RIG
2014 3500 CREW,DUALLY, LML, HARBOR 9' UTILITY BED Bone Freakin Stock
This is not only your forum you have to share it with over 100,000 others
Johnasara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 05:07 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
I know nothing
Lifetime Supporting Member

190 is not high. That is normal operating temp. And yes, you can replace to converter with an aftermarket one.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:09 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Why don't you like the Allison? What Happened to it?
Dmax-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 06:11 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It is normal to run 200 degrees towing around town-- The converter makes a lot of heat because of the stop and go driving-- What else is wrong!
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 12:26 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the move John. Thanks for the input. I had a loud rattle and then the next morning while going to the dealer I heard a loud noise like a air hose busting loose and then no power. Engine would run but it was loping at around 300rpm. Put it into D and would not do anything. My regular tranny guy says whe I got to his place that it sounds like converter. Talked to dealer and they are sending it to a tranny shop that apparently are good. I will go by there tom. Don't get me wrong, I gave up a good running 2500hd for a d-max. I don't regret it, yet... I have a lawn bus. and also I have a 10k fifth wheel. It should do fine... Good to see that 200 deg is ok for local towing, but how about hwy? Put it into tow mode?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:52 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DF Sponsors
Supporting Member

whats wrong with 200 degrees......................................? Seriously...allisons generally run ~100* over ambient temperature. Its normal. Dont worry about it.

-BT DieselWorks, LLC-

Specializing in a wide range of custom electronics and great gadgets for your 2001+ GM full size truck/SUV

Allison torque converter lockup controllers, Allison Tap-Shift kits, digital DSP-5 switches, affordable injector harness repair kits, and much more!

Check out our online store at www.btdieselworks.com and use promo code DMAXFORUM for 5% off all orders!

307.200.9255 - btdieselworks@gmail.com - Be sure to "like" us on Facebook!
duratothemax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 06:04 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnjockey View Post
Thanks for the move John. Thanks for the input. I had a loud rattle and then the next morning while going to the dealer I heard a loud noise like a air hose busting loose and then no power. Engine would run but it was loping at around 300rpm. Put it into D and would not do anything. My regular tranny guy says whe I got to his place that it sounds like converter. Talked to dealer and they are sending it to a tranny shop that apparently are good. I will go by there tom. Don't get me wrong, I gave up a good running 2500hd for a d-max. I don't regret it, yet... I have a lawn bus. and also I have a 10k fifth wheel. It should do fine... Good to see that 200 deg is ok for local towing, but how about hwy? Put it into tow mode?
This sounds like you blew a inner-cooler boot off. Inspect the lower boot by the power steering gear.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Well looks like it is the torque converter and front pump are out....Dealer says they are ordering parts to fix...Looks like here in Tn. we have a 30day lemon law and this is covered under it so they should be making good on the repairs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.