Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Changed tcase extension housing in the truck like an idiot

19K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  alphaOneTrax 
#1 ·
I changed the housing and put it back together exactly how I thought it came apart. Took many tries to get it lined up but I got it, I thought. Now it just instantly goes into limp mode. Doesnt leak fluid or make any wierd noises.

#4 ·
update

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is currently apart at a transmission shop and i assembled it correctly. The problem is coming from the transfer case. Its destroyed inside and messed the speed sensor causing it to go in limp mode. I admitted to making a stupid decision and I get smart ass comments with no valuable insight. Thanks for nothing. This just proves that it can be done. Yes I knew it doesnt have to leak or make noises to be messed up but that was more information to help diagnose the problem. I diagnosed my own problem, don't listen to your smart ass opinions. :rofl

#5 ·
Sorry to burst your bubble but it is currently apart at a transmission shop and i assembled it correctly. The problem is coming from the transfer case. Its destroyed inside and messed the speed sensor causing it to go in limp mode. I admitted to making a stupid decision and I get smart ass comments with no valuable insight. Thanks for nothing. This just proves that it can be done. Yes I knew it doesnt have to leak or make noises to be messed up but that was more information to help diagnose the problem. I diagnosed my own problem, don't listen to your smart ass opinions. :rofl
So let me get this straight. You change the extension housing in the truck and develop a trans problem which you never had before this repair.
So your repair was perfect as you explain and the transfer case suddenly caused a problem. You are full of shit.

#6 ·
You dont know the whole story bud. Think what you want. Your ego is all this is about. It was having problems before I changed the housing and it didn't fail diectly after the swap. You just couldn't keep your mouth shut long enough for me to give you more info. Waste of time on my part asking people like yourself. No answers, just unecessary bullshit

#10 ·
You didn't give him all the info to begin with...... If the case was chewed up on the inside why did you put it back together instead of pulling the trans to fix it correctly?

I freaking know it can be done.i did it myself.nobody on here will ever believe it...
It CAN be done, and after doing it myself, I fully understand why the guys with all the experience strongly believe it shouldn't be done that way. And I agree with them that no one should be encouraged to do it in the truck. To much of a risk of failure.

#7 ·
Ill take a picture of my old case it chewed up inside for you when I get it back.

#9 ·
I freaking know it can be done.i did it myself.nobody on here will ever believe it...

#12 ·
Nobody is saying it can't be done, just that it shouldn't be done. Easy for things to go wrong and at that point removing the transmissions is literally 30 minutes more work tops, you will waste that time trying to get it together right in the truck, just easier to remove and start over.

You dont know the whole story bud. Think what you want. Your ego is all this is about. It was having problems before I changed the housing and it didn't fail diectly after the swap. You just couldn't keep your mouth shut long enough for me to give you more info. Waste of time on my part asking people like yourself. No answers, just unecessary bullshit
You never gave the full story? Just going off what you posted. Trans going into protection can be caused by internal leaks from misaligned parts that you don't see which is why I mentioned that.

How did you mess up the transfercase is my question? It should not have been effected in the operation. Apparently there is a lot to the story...

#11 ·
It CAN be done, and after doing it myself, I fully understand why the guys with all the experience strongly believe it shouldn't be done that way. And I agree with them that no one should be encouraged to do it in the truck. To much of a risk of failure.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.i would never recommend it either.i get a little bitter how some people get worshiped on here.. breathe in breathe out....Heyyaa

#13 ·
Oh it has been said that it can't be done.do a search on it.there are several different threads on this subject.

#14 ·
Sometimes it's better to say things can't be done so you don't try it. If my transfer shits out, I'll buy a new one, piss on fixing an old one.

#15 ·
Ok I know Mike L. Knows his shit ive read the threads, and I didnt say he didn't. And second off to the dumbass that thinks you split a transfer case in half when changing the tcase extension, your highly intellegent. And maybe I could have gave him more info if he wouldn't have inatantly started running off the head. And yes it can be done in the truck I agree, but its not the smart way and I never claimed to be smart either.

#16 ·
The transfer case failed not to many days after I did the tcase extension swap. So I assumed it was my error so I was going to ask for suggestions. But I didn't make it that far, it was worth a shot I was thinking at the time

#17 ·
It's not so much the guy being a dick, it's just aggravating to them when they tell people (not you personally, but others who have tried and failed) it is not a good idea then you try it and fail, and then bother them more when its totally fucked. In your case it might have worked, but it always doesn't and then people bitch when it doesn't.

#18 ·
Yea I understand that, I didn't know that information at the time.

#19 ·
Some of you young guys hate to listen to anybody that doesn't agree with you. You feel proud screwing something up and say I learned from this. You use cave man tech because you won't listen to someone that wants to help.
You guys call me a dick because I told you like it is. No holding hands and patting you on the back for screwing something up. You don't deserve
being patted on the back.
So call me a dick cause I really don't give a shit wether your truck runs or not. I did my thing and got shot down by a bunch of know nothing kids who think they know better and are proud. good for you.
I just payed to be a vendor here for another year. Looks like that was a mistake. Oh well, won't happen again.

#23 ·
No im not acting like I know it all. Yes your a dick Mike and you know it. Like I said for the 100th time I shouldn't have did it but I did, with no advice at all from you. And I dont know anything about my truck huh? You dont know me and you think you can say that, yep sounds like a conceded idiot. You just cant take someone disagreeing with you, the mindset of a toddler is what you have. And Chrisuns quit being an ass kisser, nobody likes a brown noser. And for the 100th time again nobody gave me the chance to explain or even ask me about it.

#24 ·
Again, give the full story before-hand, it prevents a lot of confusion-It would have helped your situation.

Also, swallow the red-pill of life-I mean really,"ass-kisser,""brown-noser?" Have more self-respect for yourself than to use words like that. If you want to get upset about me calling you an idiot, I didn't. I simply reiterated what you called yourself.

#25 ·
There you go again, you are a brown noser and its obvious. You had no input, making up excuses for someone who had no interest in anything but putting somebody down. Nothing would have helped my situation on this forum. The guy at the transmission shop helped me out, my transfer case is rebuilt and my truck runs good. End of conversation, thanks for nothing.

#26 ·
Guy, I've spent countless hours on the phone with people of this forum. Helping them from programming issues, to how to install a new model engine into an older truck. Not to mention taking time out of my day to send diagrams- You know what I get from them, nothing but a thank-you; and I'm appreciative of that. I sure as hell don't get paid for it, and if I did, I still wouldn't tolerate your attitude.

The guys I help don't disrespect people giving them advice. You did great admitting you made a mistake changing the tail-housing on the truck. Then you go say,"I didn't mess it up, I diagnosed my own problem, thanks for the smart-ass comments." Then you continued on how everyone was an ass for telling you it was a bad idea to do. In fact, no-one even showed you disrespect until you ran your mouth like a child. They told it to you straight between the eyes and you took it up the ass...

He's my advice, next time you bust a tail-housing, take the transfer-case apart and check everything for abnormal wear. If there was enough stress introduced to crack a housing, it's likely the transfer-case went though the same shock.

#27 ·
Here we go again, your mind cant comprehend everything that I say or you just cant shut up. For the last time I shouldn't have did it in the truck, mike was right I was wrong. I did assemble it correctly some how. I admitted that, and its bullshit for you to say I was smart ass first. I dont care who you help, you had nothing in this. Nobody did, I just stated that the transfer case was the problem, not my reassembly of the tail housing and mike didnt like being wrong. And I got no advice like you said I did. Telling me I shouldn't have did that after I admitted I shouldnt is not advice. So I cant figure out why your still talking, when you make no real point. Keep repeating yourself thats fine but if you read all of the message it sounds like your I.Q is in the negatives. Good bye bahaha

#33 ·
Bahehahaheha

#29 ·
Not abandoning the thread bud. Ive just proved my point here and nobody can do anything but repeat themselves with no accurate point. So this thread is pointless.

#34 ·
The transfer case, like I earlier stated in the thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.