Allison shift problem cured thanks all - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 01:25 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Allison shift problem cured thanks all

Hi All, Newbie here. I was able to troubleshoot my 02' 2500HD Dmax LB7 5spd auto, approx. mileage 150,000K/90,000Miles .Thanks to all of the awesome articles posted - big thanks. The symptoms were as follows: over the last week the shift display wasn't showing that I was in Drive. I could shift into 3 and it would light up over the 3 but when shifting back to D, it remained unlit. The problem then amplified while plowing snow, I shifted from fwd to rev and there was a delay, then big clunk. It did this a couple times then went away. The lack of indication problem occurred through the week culminating with blocking traffic in two directions trying to back into my driveway. I shifted her into reverse and she clunked again then nothing. tried to shift from drive to reverse, didn't matter what gear I chose, it wasn't moving. The check engine light came on this time as well. Worse yet, I had to pull it into the driveway with the wife's Ford! I had thought the worst, the transmission was pooched! Thats when I googled the problem and these forums came up. It took only a few minutes and I saw a similar problem had occurred and the NSBU (Neutral Safety Backup) switch was the culprit. With a little more googling I found some pictures and the actual part number (29540479) heres the link: (If it doesnt work just google NBSU switch.)Allison 1000 Series NSBU Switch pictures from cars photos on webshots
I replaced the switch, the problem was solved. It costs approx $280 - alot cheaper than a new tranny! Replacement instructions came with the switch kit, easy to follow and only two plugs, two bolts and the linkage arm to disconnect.
Cheers guys!
Sally
csallenback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 10:29 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Welcome to the forum!

Awesome! Im glad we could help you out :rockin
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

what is the code for nbsu
    mbrp 5inch exhaust
    blown trans
colton__11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 08:39 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I believe it is P0500 - this from a diablo tuner. Truck is 2005 topkick.
skipperjim45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

P0708
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 09:52 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Thanks Mike L - problem I have is the truck will not shift into high gear - and the dealer can't figure it out - says go to Allison (at 35 mph). I suspect Neutral Safety Backup Switch as they do get crudded up and I haven't put back my fenderwells since other work. I have a p/n 29541852 - 1 connector. Trying that tomorrow as it is a $50 part.
Would like to put an aluminum cover on but someone said might get hit by a rock - steel is better (????). I did lose my tranny cooler, had to suck it up and have dealer replace - looks like a mickey mouse unit.
skipperjim45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.