How to check fluid level properly - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 11:55 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

How to check fluid level properly

So i have the Transgo Jr in and have a question about the hot oil level check. I have read a lot of posts in the search query but would like an answer to a specific question. It seems impossible to get the tranny temp up to 200 for the hot check so where should the level be approx at around 140 or so where everyones's temp seems to run? I don't want to be too high for when the temp does get up there working it.
MBRP turbo back 4 inch exhaust
EGR blocker plate
Resonator plugged
punchbuggy buddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Well I am not sure about others, but it is something of interest to me as well. Mine runs very cool, average 130-140 here in CO this time of year. Once on highway to CA saw like 160-170. However, one day was driving in mountains unloaded, not real steep but constant uphill and reached well over 200. prob 240. I thought this VERY strange and was wondering what it would do if I ever pulled 13,400lb 5er uphill. That is how mine has behaved so far and also wondering if normal or should I be concerned about the 240?
FASS - 150 GPH Lift Pump
S&B - Air Intake
MBRP - 409 4" Stainless Exhaust and Chrome Tip
Banks - Six Gun W/ IQ 2.0
relaydenied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

check it on level ground at those temps,if you INSIST on having it get hot drive it in manual...
FYI the normal trans temp should stay around 185*
generally if it is in the crosshatched pattern you are OK!!Just be sure it's running!
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 08:27 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaydenied View Post
Well I am not sure about others, but it is something of interest to me as well. Mine runs very cool, average 130-140 here in CO this time of year. Once on highway to CA saw like 160-170. However, one day was driving in mountains unloaded, not real steep but constant uphill and reached well over 200. prob 240. I thought this VERY strange and was wondering what it would do if I ever pulled 13,400lb 5er uphill. That is how mine has behaved so far and also wondering if normal or should I be concerned about the 240?
It's not too bad unless it stays over 220 a while,I saw 300* on the original Allison after getting myself unstuck from some mud,I let it idle while I cooled it down and the trans still lasted another 3 months!
If I were you I would get a Transgo jr. kit in there,[especially since it is a 3500],and definitely upgrade the trans cooler if that is the case...Typically I'd see 200 degrees in hot summer weather,and around 150 when cool.....
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Just get it was warm as you can for now. Pull the stick out 3 times pausing for a little in between. Go off the highest read of the 3, but keep in mind if you trans starts to run hot in the summer or while towing you could be a little over full.

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Dozerboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Quote:
It's not too bad unless it stays over 220 a while,I saw 300* on the original Allison after getting myself unstuck from some mud,I let it idle while I cooled it down and the trans still lasted another 3 months!
If I were you I would get a Transgo jr. kit in there,[especially since it is a 3500],and definitely upgrade the trans cooler if that is the case...Typically I'd see 200 degrees in hot summer weather,and around 150 when cool.....
Somehow that doesn't sound encouraging. It was about 20 Deg out and it stayed wellllllll above 200 the whole time in the mountains. Didn't start down until we did for the long downhill part of the trip. You see this as a possible problem then? When I first bought the truck we spent about an hour jerking this 5th wheel up a snowy driveway with another dually tied on front in 4WD low. Do you really see this as a sign of bad things to come???
FASS - 150 GPH Lift Pump
S&B - Air Intake
Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Bump - Thank You
FASS - 150 GPH Lift Pump
S&B - Air Intake
Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

After the tranny has been brought up to temp should I leave the engine running while checking the fluid level?

edit: I read the manual and got the answer
Stock tuned, EFILive tunes by IdahoRob, PPE hot +2 e.t. , MBRP duals, Autometer pyrometer and boost gauges, EGR blocker plate, PCV reroute, transfer case pump rub kit, 5w-40 Shaeffer synthetic engine, Amsoil 75w-90 differentials, Amsoil ATF in transfer case, Opti-Lube XPD fuel additive, Transynd transmission fluid, 65,000 miles

Last edited by pONSi; 02-20-2010 at 12:46 PM.
pONSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2010, 12:33 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaydenied View Post
Somehow that doesn't sound encouraging. It was about 20 Deg out and it stayed wellllllll above 200 the whole time in the mountains. Didn't start down until we did for the long downhill part of the trip. You see this as a possible problem then? When I first bought the truck we spent about an hour jerking this 5th wheel up a snowy driveway with another dually tied on front in 4WD low. Do you really see this as a sign of bad things to come???
Make sure the cooler is clean, I clean the three coolers monthly down here in Florida with a low pressure washer, it can make a difference. If that doesn't do it, may want to check your sending unit and/or stepper motor on the gage if you're getting that reading at 20 degrees. I can't get mine above 140 in 30 degree weather pulling a 6,000 trailer.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:17 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

How to check the ALLISON transmission fluid level.......... from the GM manual
COLD CHECK:Truck in PARK, engine at idle 500-800rpm
Run engine for one minute, apply brake and shift to Drive, then back to Neutral, then to Reverse, this fills the hydraulic system
Put trans in Park and with the engine idling, pull trans stick and wipe clean, check fluid level twice, should be in the "COLD CHECK" band. If above COLD CHECK band when cold, drain to proper level.

HOT CHECK:
A transmission sump temp of (71C-93C)160F-200F is considered HOT. Or you can use converter out temp of ( 82C-104C ) 180F-220F.
Use same sequence as above only this time with fluid level in the "HOT RUN" band.
The HOT RUN band represents APPROX 1.0 ltr or 1.06 qts at normal operating sump temperature. Add or drain fluid to put it in the HOT RUN band.

Trans fluid must be changed when there is evidence of dirt or a high temperature condition (usually above 240, if it does go above 240, good idea to change it ASAP...cheaper than a new trans). High temp causes the fluid to break down and be discolored and/or have a strong odor. If you find evidence of coolant in the fluid, system MUST be drained and completely flushed and of course you want to fix the source of the contamination before operating. ONCE YOU GET COOLANT IN CONTACT WITH THE CLUTCHES, count on a rebuild, this happened to a friend 6 months ago....complete rebuild.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by BIOTEC; 02-20-2010 at 01:25 PM.
BIOTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.