Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

+ 100hp on Allison w/135k

835 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  smokinu454 
#1 ·
My buddy has the same basic truck as mine, 02 GMC LB7 with 135k miles on it,... truck has been well maintained w proper fluid changes. He's now looking to bump it up 100hp,..so his question is what should be done to the tranny to withstand the extra ponies. I know some will say that the stock tranny is good for +100hp, but he's really looking to take it one step up as a precaution. He uses his truck primarily for towing. Advice will be passed on with much appreciation, thank you.

#3 ·
Towing heavy with 100 added horsepower will probably have high EGT and that may burn a piston.
The trans is not going to last and the C3 clutches and the converter will fail.
Not a good idea on a stock trans.

#5 ·
I know running +100hp on a stock tranny is a bad idea,.....That's why Im asking for advise on a tranny build,... a "stage one" build, for lack of better term. Maybe I didnt make that clear enough in my first post. TY

#7 ·
I limped my lly trans on a tune that was about 100hp over stock. It will limp more and more often the worse it gets. And I never towed on it. I towed on a 60hp tune and never had an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.