5th gear slippage - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 03:06 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

5th gear slippage

I was searching the classifieds on another site and came across a guy selling an ATS Co-Pilot. I'm curious as if to what he says in his ad is right?:

The ATS Co-Pilot Upgrade Kit for the Allison 1000 Transmission solves the major problems with the stock Allison LCT-1000. When you increase the power of the Duramax, the stock Allison 1000 transmission begins to slip in 5th gear. The factory single-disc torque converter lockup clutch begins to slip. This slippage causes the Allison 1000 to go into "fail safe" mode preventing you from getting your Duramax power to the ground.

The stock Allison transmission only receives approximately 86 PSI oil pressure to the clutch packs when in 5th gear. After the addition of the Co-Pilot transmission system, the clutch packs receive approximately 230 PSI, allowing the transmissions clutch packs to receive full line pressure (clamping force needed to apply the clutches) during high power situations. With the simple addition of our Co-Pilot transmission kit pushing the available line pressure to the clutch packs, we have designed a system that increases the torque capacity of the Allison transmission by over 200 foot pounds. This kit makes it possible to transfer 100% of the power developed by a modified engine to the rear wheels without causing the transmission to slip and the "fail safe" condition to occur.

If this is true is there a less expensive route to get more pressure to clutch packs while in 5th gear? My truck often limps out in 5th especially when towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 03:16 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Gotta build it.... not sure how the co-pilot works.... pressure is produced mechanically and applied by valves which that only have an on off setting.... there are no stepper motors in the tranny to control the pressure via computer.... only on off pressure which would be max pressure produced by pump unless it has a regulator before it. Hopefully mike l reads this.... but no building the trans is the only way to stop the 5th gear slip
GMax5 + ML Built by me
airdog II,AFE MP+Intercooler tubes http://www.meyerperformance.com/
7" Cognito Lift XD Monsters and 35"s,7" FTE Single stack, Tracton Bars, all the front end goodies, egr blocked, FRSK, 06 grill/ hood/mirrors, sunroof, 50g transfer flow tank and many more
1983 chevy 12valve cummins, nv4500,and some other stuff
Let men marry men and women marry woman...in 3 more generations there will be no more democrats
SzymoDmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 03:23 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

With the 5 speeds you gotta build it. The 6 speeds can take advantage of shift kits, but the labor involved in installing one in a 5 speed is not worth the cost. Better start saving some $ if you've limped it!
Black H2 Wheels/265/70/17 BFG A/T's

Keystone 8 Luggers
bakertime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 08:41 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Ahhh, Ohio and Bucks County...thanks for weighing in. Wilmington, DE roots here. Thanks for your takes on the situation, my Allison acts so weird I have to think it's something besides a full on build but who knows. Sometimes it will run 10 hrs at 95 mph (no tow) and not code, other times it will limp more frequently but only when I don't keep my foot into it (drive aggressively). If I tow anything over 5T it limps in 5th constantly but at strange times..like not when I'm on on the throttle or going uphill etc more when I'm backing off the throttle it will code. Seems like it will limp on a whim but more frequently under tow. Also on hitting sharp bump at low speed (-10mph) trans will go a neutral for a second then engage after a momentary pause of acceleration or increase in rpm (results in slight slam engagement).
Wish I had the $$ to throw a complete ML TC and kit at it right now but I'll have to wait........
Old 06-19-2011, 01:50 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Hmm, yeah that's wierd. How much power over stock are you running? It might just be so toasted that it's having a hard time holding even under normal conditions. 5 tons should be no big deal...I would start putting some money into savings because if it's limping that much, one day it's just going to leave you stranded somewhere.
Black H2 Wheels/265/70/17 BFG A/T's

Keystone 8 Luggers
bakertime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

If 5th gear is slipping it will throw a P0735 code in a blink of an eye. If it hasn't thrown this code, you have other problems.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.