Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

68mm Cheetah or Billet 4094???

46K views 92 replies 36 participants last post by  pipeliner798_welder 
#1 ·
If this is a stupid question, feel free to bash me, but which would be better? I don't race per se, but I do like to mash the skinny pedal every once in a while. I tow around 10,000 pounds about once a week so it has to work for that. Basically I want something that is gonna spool fast and give me more power. Don't worry, tranny is gonna be built before hand.

I am thinking of Danville Billet 4094 or 68mm Cheetah.

Thanks

#4 ·
cheetah! i straight up loved mine. selling it btw, no more truck for it to be on :(
honestly both do about the same thing. cheetah is just louder :D

#9 ·
Why? Does the 4094AVNT spool faster?

#6 ·
why do you say that.....?

#8 ·
Why?

#10 ·
In the same situation. Which would be better or a twin set up later on?

#11 ·
Sub'd. Can't wait to see some opinions. I've read about this till my eyes bleed and still couldn't pick.

#12 ·
It seems like there is no clear cut, black and white answer.

#13 ·
Subscribing. Def need something that will be good for towing. I know twins would fit the bill, but more interested in a single budget wise

#14 ·
id save for twins cuz whats better than 1 turbo? 2!

#15 · (Edited)
The 4094s do not spool as well as the modded stockers, which makes them harder to tune. They have a weaker turbine wheel that is prone to melting (could have just been the earlier models), and they do not support as much HP as the modded stockers. But those are just my observations...

Caleb

#16 ·
I liked the 4094. It spooled quick, was real easy to tune and made tons of power. I didn't even push it to its limits and I was up around 650 on a stock pump and 40% tips. I never towed anything with it but the turbo brake is ALOT weaker than the stocker. I feel its due to the different vanes and exhaust turbine. That was the only bad thing I could find about it. Its a really good turbo for the money.

#22 ·
The GT4094VA is a Garrett out of the box performance offering.

TurboByGarrett.com - GM Duramax (2004.5 - 2009)

Fleece (Cheetah) and Danville modify stock turbos with upgraded wheels and internals. Danville also upgrades 4094s with there compressors.

Im not trying to sway anyone one way or the other so you guys can take this with a grain of salt; but based off the conversations Ive had with guys that have run both the 4094 and either a FPE or DP modded stocker, they generally preferred the driving characteristics of the modded stock chargers over the 4094.

Further more, the highest HP, most competitive, and fastest trucks with VNT turbos are nearly exclusivly modified stockers, not GT4094VA's.

Caleb

#19 ·
I find it amusing that people say definitely one way or another without any experience or first hand knowledge. My recommendation would be to call up some turbo guys like Scott at SDP, Mark, or many of our vendors who do a lot of work with turbos. Look for concrete reasons why one is better then another and not just one spools faster. IMO, spools faster will depend on your tuning a lot.

I'm sure Mark, Scott, Henry, Rob, Nick, Dustin or many of those guys could give you specifics which they like better and why. Additionally Scott, Nathan, Trent, or any of those guys could let you know about using one in a compound turbo setup later on.

Edit...

Looks like Dustin has offered some insight already. If you are going with a compound setup the 4094 may be a better choice for you.

#23 ·
What would be an example of a modified stock turbo? Sorry, I'm dumb when it comes to this.

#26 ·
For two very similar turbos, priced very close its pretty much down to a flip of a coin. they have most likely both had issues, but everyone whose ran them have been satisfied. I would personally go with the cheetah because they are a little bit louder. Though if i was to twin later on id choose the 4094avnt.

#28 ·
That what I want to kno if it as in a fpe od a dp danville if it breaks will they stand behind it

#30 ·
X2, $1995 plus shipping for a brand new billet turbo with no core you can't beat that! My billet wheel is 10 grams lighter than the cast 4094 wheel and more efficient which is why it works so much better for spool up and power across the board. It is a great combo for the money, period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.