LB7 Batmo Review - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Turbo's Stock and Aftermarket. Place for all your turbo questions

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

LB7 Batmo Review

Long story short its worth the money but not worth the work.

**Before you start buy a 2.00 gasket for the oil drain (dont use silicone it will leak TRUST ME) and a metal flange gasket that goes between the inlet and exhaust side of the turbo in the v band groove, also I used some high heat red silicone for the turbo front cover and black silicone for the intake horn.

I did this install about a month ago and so far am loving it. I have yet to have my truck retuned for the wheel but with running the same tunes as before I have seen a difference. The turbo definately flows more air now and power is increased throughout the entire rpm range but I can tell my turbo definately is lighting faster. Where I have really seen this part shine is in throttle response but most of all with towing. Running on the same roads with the same load as I have done numerous times with the stock charger I needed tow haul mode I now am no longer using that unless I feel the need for the grade braking feature. For those of you who are looking for whistle this wheel definately gives you that, from 3psi and up you can hear this baby whistle at ya (even over my 35 mts and dual 6" stacks). A part I would definately recommend is a Banks or BD wastegate; I ran this wheel with my stock waste gate for a couple weeks and had the problem of it making my stock wastegate blow off prematurely (dont ya hate it when that happens ). I talked to Tim at SJD about this observation and he said that another alternative to the wastegate would be a ppe boost increase valve but neither of us have tested this idea out.

Now to the negative. The price is right for these wheels but damn does it suck to put this part in. If you have ever takin your turbo apart or have a friend that has then this will be a breeze but if you have never done it before then put aside a whole weekend to do it. One big mistake I made that ate up alot of my time was I tried to take off my front cover prior to splitting the turbo apart at the v band. There are people that can do this according to this forum but after three hours of trying to get one bolt out and numerous trips to town to borrow tools and buy wrenches to bend in numerous ways I decided to undo the band clamp and take the turbo apart there then take off the front cover. The other recommendation I would make is wait till you have to change your injectors or your cp3 to do this install. I have done both and wished I had this wheel when I did those installs cuz to install this wheel the entire valley of the block has to be cleared out. Intake, air horn, ficm, fuel lines, y-bridge, coolant lines, wastegate, and Im sure a few other things I am forgetting; which all have to be removed to do an injector pump or injectors. Also this would be a good time to put a portedx intake horn on or a ProFab intake horn if you ever plan to do one.

On this install my best friend was a magnet and 1/4" drive socket set, get one in metric with numerous extensions and a swivel joint. Most every other tool I used can be found in most everyones tool box; screw driver set, 3/8 drive socket set, metric wrench set, 3/4 combination wrench, chisels/punches, allen wrenches, pliers of different sizes and I know I am forgetting something.

I will try to get pictures up soon but if anyone has any questions send them my way and I will do my best to answer them. I would have done a write up but my install started at about 2pm drug on till 3am then started over at 6am the next morning so I wasnt really in the mood to type everything I was doing on my phone. Sorry guys
SUSPENSION-Rancho 4 in. Lift -Bilstein Shocks -Tie Rod Sleeves -Moto Metal 957 wrapped in Toyo Open Country M/T 35x12.50R18- SSBC Slotted Rotors EXHAUST- Custom 5" with 6" Black Aussie Stacks TRANSMISSION -Built by Tim Hecker -GMax 5 Pac -Precision ML Converter -MikeL Pump Rub Wear Plate -Transfer Case Brace PERFORMANCE- 25% Over Exergy Injectors- AFE Pro Dry S Stage 2 Intake -AirDog II -Banks BigHead Wategate- SDP Batmowheel- EFI with CTS Insight- ARP Headstuds- Banks Technicooler- 3.5" Turbo Inlet

www.performancetruckproducts.com
They been great to me they will be great to you!
REW_388 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 07:24 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

You dont have to get it re tuned. Glad you like it, im considering one myself soon.

Big Thanks To Adrenaline Truck Performance, Alligator Diesel PerformanceSocal Diesel and Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Thebiggids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 07:37 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I will second that emotion. I picked up a fresh rebuilt turbo with an intake horn, DP, and BatMoWheel. I just bought new gaskets and threw it on. It seems to spool up way faster and make good power through the band. I have had it on for a little over a week. It sounds sweet, louder but not "hey look at me over here" obnoxious. It kind of has a supercharger sound to it. Till it spools up then you just hear it sucking in air. It was a lot of work tho. I am also having fueling problems now. At least I think so. Wont pull the grade I drive everyday in overdrive like it use to. Feels like its not getting enough fuel. Think it may be my FPR or MAF. Still working it out. Otherwise it is great.
01' Chevy 2500 ecsb 4x4. Banks 6 gun with speed loader. Egt and boost gauges. Banks Big Head, BatMoWheel, S&B intake, MBRP down pipe and 4in turbo back exhaust. Kennedy diesel lift pump and aux. Cat 1r 0749 filter.
Leveled with 285/75 16 Treadwright guard dogs
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
AKA 01 D_Max

I also have a Batmowheel and I agree it is worth the money!

I noticed an imediate chang in the turbo. It sounds like a BIG turbo upgrade has been done. It feels exactly like REW said. And it lowered My EGT's 200 degrees at peak temp. It's a great power improvement for someone looking to max out a stock truck. And for anyone who is tearing apart the motor for any reason, This is a great time for the Batmowheel.

However I did mine with nothing in the way because I was doing my HeadGaskts at the time. I did not remove the turbo, I just removed the housing. It is held on with 6 bolts on the rear of it with small metal clips that clamp it from moving. I loosened the bolts... Not removed yet... Then tapped the housing with a soft hammer to break the seal so it will rotate. I did this because the lowest bolt is rediclous to remove. Then I took out all the bolts and loosened the lower one and the housing popped right off.

To get the wheel off I took a chance... I used a low powered impact gun, and a welding glove on my other hand to hold the wheel from spinning, and tapped the trigger to break the nut loose. It came right off with no damage to the shaft, and very little force.

Then I did the opposite to put the Batmowheel on. Again with the Glove holding the wheel and 3 quick gentle straight taps of the trigger on a low impactgun. Again this worked perfectly with no damage to the shaft. (it could have been luck, but I was confident it wouldnt be enough force to damage it)

Then I re-assembled the housing using High temp silicone to seal it. I never removed any hoses except the torque head coolant hose on the passenger side to get to the lower bolt.

Like I said I had everything apart already, so there might be more to remove, but this is my review to help anyone interested.

Or call us... 920-765-1615

SOLD
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CC,SB
EFI Live V2 w/dsp5 MAX EFFORT by Idaho Rob,
EGT's Never higher than 1150*
Cognito Braces, and ATP Sleeves, BD Manifold, ARP H.Studs, M.P. mod, MA Aluminum Bleeder, PPE Boost Valve, Banks Ram Air- Intercooler, FASS 150, LBZ FPR, Shimmed FPRV, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust w/6"tip, Corsa Muffler
@180,000-New injectors from Lincoln Diesel, CAT Adapter/filter/spacer

Air Lift, Bilstein Shocks, Leveling Kit, Recon LED tail lights & over cab lights, 20" Forged Aluminum WELD Racing Rims, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Aaron@LDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

It definately dropped my egts as well, whether its at wide open or cruising on the highway i see 1-300 degree difference and Neutron I noticed I lost some power going down the highway in OD but just thought it was my imagination cuz I never have had much power from 50-65 cuz of my 35s
SUSPENSION-Rancho 4 in. Lift -Bilstein Shocks -Tie Rod Sleeves -Moto Metal 957 wrapped in Toyo Open Country M/T 35x12.50R18- SSBC Slotted Rotors EXHAUST- Custom 5" with 6" Black Aussie Stacks TRANSMISSION -Built by Tim Hecker -GMax 5 Pac -Precision ML Converter -MikeL Pump Rub Wear Plate -Transfer Case Brace PERFORMANCE- 25% Over Exergy Injectors- AFE Pro Dry S Stage 2 Intake -AirDog II -Banks BigHead Wategate- SDP Batmowheel- EFI with CTS Insight- ARP Headstuds- Banks Technicooler- 3.5" Turbo Inlet

Old 06-05-2012, 08:30 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Also I do agree it sounds like a cross between a supercharger and a large turbo

Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

how did u get the turbo to split apart at v-band, ive been trying everything
batmanduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Did you make sure that you disconnected the oil drain at the bottom of the turbo? After doing that i had to take a small chisel punch and hammer it into the crack but I never stayed in one point I kept working my way around the turbo then once it was wide enough I stuck a wide flat head screw driver in there and started gently twisting it to pry the piece apart. Whatever you do make sure not to scar or mark up the flange.or it will never seal properly (I've been told).

Last edited by REW_388; 04-16-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Any chance of an update on this? How do you like it have you gotten any new tunes?

Maybe a sound clip? I'm very interested in this.
radvans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.