4094 spool up - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Turbo's Stock and Aftermarket. Place for all your turbo questions

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

4094 spool up

Theres been alot of talk lately on how well 4094's spool up. First off in case people were unaware, a 4094 needs tuning updates, specifically to vane position. Stock vane tables will result in poor spool up and high egts.

I put my shorter stack in tonight for the sake of me being bored and while driving around i decided to take a vid of how my 4094 spools up just to show that they can light almost as fast as stock. Ive heard alot of people say that with there stock turbos they could burn the tires on the 1st to 2nd shift, and after the 4094 install they lost that ability due to lag. Thats of course from a dead stop/non boosted launch. You can clearly see in the video that as soon as the turbo lights it breaks loose pretty good on the 1st to 2nd shift. So if your worried about lag from a 4094, DONT BE!

My tuning is done through Starlite Diesel and i can tell you he sure knows how to tune a vgt turbo. Me and a buddy in a stock turbo lbz lined up not to long ago to compare lag times of my 4094 with my current tuning vs the stock turbo lbz both tuned by Starlite. Both trucks were floored from a dead stop/no boost in 2wd. Spool up was identical thanks to vane position changes on the 4094

Road was bone dry and about 45 degrees. This thread is purely to enlighten people on the spool up of a 4094 if they have those doubt in there mind

Not sure how to get the video to show in the post. Sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUrC...e_gdata_player

Last edited by mike diesel; 12-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.
mike diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

And this is by no means a sales pitch for starlite, i was simply stating who the tuner was.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I suspect you are right that most complaining of poor spooling haven't made the proper EFI tune changes.

I just wish the turbo brake worked as well as stock but at least the power is there.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I love my 4094 and i havent even got updated tuning yet. I plan to after my tranny gets built this summer. it doesn't even seem slower than stock spool up. I am very excited for when I get new tunes.
20" xd wheels 265/60/20 Goodyear wranglers 5" turbo back exhaust EFI live tuning by Ridge Runner diesel Fass titanium 95gph Alligator performance resonator plug Edge CTS Insight ATS Co-pilot PPE deep trans pan Alligator performance tranny cooler lines Garret 4094avnt Pro-fab downpipe

http://performancetruckproducts.com/
Duramax19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL_Dmax View Post
I suspect you are right that most complaining of poor spooling haven't made the proper EFI tune changes.

I just wish the turbo brake worked as well as stock but at least the power is there.
I dont have experience with the turbo brake on either turbo but i have also heard from alot of people that the turbo brake is very poor on the 4094..but i dont tow
Old 12-12-2012, 05:44 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax19 View Post
I love my 4094 and i havent even got updated tuning yet. I plan to after my tranny gets built this summer. it doesn't even seem slower than stock spool up. I am very excited for when I get new tunes.
Once you get that updated tuning, you will love your 4094 even more!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:48 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I havent towed very much with mine but what little I have towed I haven't noticed
20" xd wheels 265/60/20 Goodyear wranglers 5" turbo back exhaust EFI live tuning by Ridge Runner diesel Fass titanium 95gph Alligator performance resonator plug Edge CTS Insight ATS Co-pilot PPE deep trans pan Alligator performance tranny cooler lines Garret 4094avnt Pro-fab downpipe

http://performancetruckproducts.com/
Duramax19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

For those that do tow with the 4094, what are you seeing for EGTs?
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
ATPTRUCKS

they spool great with the right tuning
Special thanks to: Mike L, Gtrippin, IdahoRob, Dmaxstore, HSP, ISSPRO, Yukon, Airdog

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Adrenaline Truck Performance IDAHO ROB 208.685.1000
sickdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL_Dmax View Post
For those that do tow with the 4094, what are you seeing for EGTs?
1100 towing 20k lbs +
Dyno - 582hp 1209tq - SJD, 561hp 1247tq floor-it-diesel (stock turbo & inj.)
Track - 12.82 @ 105.5 mph @7300lbs 1.82 60 ft

07 lbz rclb

Kory tuned, RDL egr delete, banks IC, insight,
bd lift pump w/remote WS, nicktane, ranch hand front

Last edited by plowboy_lbz; 12-12-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typing error
plowboy_lbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.