MPI twins or PPEs new TWIN kit? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Turbo's Stock and Aftermarket. Place for all your turbo questions

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 11:51 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

MPI twins or PPEs new TWIN kit?

Hey guys I have what you see done in the sig. And Already talked to nate about ordering my turbos. Sending the money order in tomorrow. I was looking for one last opinion.
I plan on running the truck as a daily driver, still for our shop demo truck, and towing our 20k trailer (we haul a deuce, and other such things) So towing is a big deal to me.

I want to go with the biggest set I can without sacrificing the towing ability. From what I understand the small kit from nate is the biggest recommended. I was debating if I should go with the 800 kit instead? or if I should order anything for the turbo like billet wheel or such to make it as efficient as possible.

Also I was planning on going with Dippers 45% over nozzles and a ppe duel fueler. At this point.

Does anyone have any immediate recommendations to do? I.E C head gaskets and ARP studs, or I was thinking Ricks cast flows now, or a set of pistons.... I basically have a budget of 9k right now I'm willing to spend. And the truck has 33k miles on it so I want to make sure it will hold up stable as possible for this year atleast.

Coming up before the end of the year I plan on building a spare LMM motor I just bought to put in the truck and doing RDL's cast flow and PPE's up pipes for them to get there bellows.

The truck again Still has to haul a 20k trailer without having to downshift regularly to haul through MD, WV, PA, to fl.

Also PPE I deal with alot and they have made me a pretty good offer on there Twin turbo kit they just started producing and want me to run on mine which is a GT40 and a GT45 with wastegate and all stainless mandrel bent hot tubes and aluminum cold tubes. According to Rick they used the truck they had this installed on to haul one of there trailers to sema at a higher elevation and had no problem. But I understand from a few guys I trust that I should expect longer spool times and higher EGT's. I talked to them right after I did with nate and just makes me wonder if I'm making the right decision so any input would be amazing.

Opinions on which kit will work better?

As well any recommendations between the mahle cast or forged pistons, I've heard alot about the cast being better for daily driven.

The second motor will be built between this year to next to go into a weight reduced 67 C-10 small window stepside (I've got three, one with a LT4 pro charged pushing 1600hp) one 327 fuelie motor, and the third was going to get my ls1 but I figure the best bet would be the the duramax motor in it, with the reduced weight should do great and be alot of fun.

Thanks Guys as always.
08GMC RBP 4" BLK exhaust-Cognito braces-kryptonite tie Rods-SS Pivot-Airdog II-RBP grill-Profab RaceFlow header,Extremeflow up pipes-RE XXX components-AVIC Z110BT-AMSOIL Dual oil filters- Kuhmo SAT- Stg4 Trans (dipper)-HKS Camp2 Gauges-Suncoast Trans Brace-PCV Bypass kit-Prodigy Brake Controller-Pro Fab welded y bridge + boost tube-Banks Boost Tube-Sulastics-Memphis amps-RBP Gauges/Trim Ring-PPE Centrifuge-PPE HID's-PPE Race Valve,Ported Rail fittings,cp3 ported fittings, 28x10x16 Hoosier slicks- Ppe Trans/Dif Pans/snake oiler/DLTint/09Tailgatehandle w/nightvision camera/wade floor mats/modded ctr console. MPI twins s480/billet wheels, SSBC Drilled slotted rotors Rear/ Brembo 6 piston rotors+calipers front/Kryptonite Center/Turbosmart silicone+clamps,PPE DualFueler,Exergy65% flowed inj/2ndcp3 wicked lb7 stage 3
PawnShopEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Are you dead set on those two brands? I'd personally go with Scotts twin kit from Sdp or trents from epr. I'd also go with mahle pistons and carillo rods, along with a keyed cam. The social stage 1-2 heads doesnt matter, and arp head and main studs, then id do s480 twins with 60% nozzles and twin fuelers, that would be the ultimate set up for me honestly.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:11 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Oh and how do you like those sulastics?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Sulastics made a huge difference in ride quality but if you corner hard you'll feel a little sway.

The kits I like mpi for the simple fact, Dipper and nick from Dmax tuner whom I work with quite a bit both really like nathans fit and finish. Ppe I sell alot of product for and they made me a really good deal for the kit and dual fueler. As well there products arnt always made by them like profab makes there exhausts, ace makes there exhaust, spinmaster makes the centrifuge, Cognito makes the braces... But all parts are made with top notch quality just top dollar retail but for what I know we sell there stuff for is very reasonable, so I'm sure most dealers sell there product for a great price. The kit looks nice with the stainless and aluminum tube.

I originally wanted to do a Danville stage 2 with a s488r but from what I've been told the difference in the stock to a cheetah or Danville is nothing really huge overall. Plus going to 480s I was told again that I would have to downshift when towing regularly.
I actually was originally going to go with Scotts kit, after a problem with the egr delete I bought from him leaking at the intake horn so bad it kept ripping gaskets and wouldn't seal. And at first Scott tried to help to get it fixed but wouldn't have a finished fixed version for a few months then I never heard anything so I just bought one from Rick d lance and had no problem. So Scotts kinda has me hesitant for the fact I had to spend a bunch more cash to get my truck running after buying his product. And the other guys you mentioned I never heard of.
08GMC RBP 4" BLK exhaust-Cognito braces-kryptonite tie Rods-SS Pivot-Airdog II-RBP grill-Profab RaceFlow header,Extremeflow up pipes-RE XXX components-AVIC Z110BT-AMSOIL Dual oil filters- Kuhmo SAT- Stg4 Trans (dipper)-HKS Camp2 Gauges-Suncoast Trans Brace-PCV Bypass kit-Prodigy Brake Controller-Pro Fab welded y bridge + boost tube-Banks Boost Tube-Sulastics-Memphis amps-RBP Gauges/Trim Ring-PPE Centrifuge-PPE HID's-PPE Race Valve,Ported Rail fittings,cp3 ported fittings, 28x10x16 Hoosier slicks- Ppe Trans/Dif Pans/snake oiler/DLTint/09Tailgatehandle w/nightvision camera/wade floor mats/modded ctr console. MPI twins s480/billet wheels, SSBC Drilled slotted rotors Rear/ Brembo 6 piston rotors+calipers front/Kryptonite Center/Turbosmart silicone+clamps,PPE DualFueler,Exergy65% flowed inj/2ndcp3 wicked lb7 stage 3
PawnShopEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 01:46 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

I'm running the mpi kit off of Georges truck now. It uses the stock vvt with a Gt45 and tows just fine for me. I also have pics posted of the kit from Joes truck from PPE that was at SEMA with the Gt4094/Gt4508 twin kit in the truck and some of it on the stand.
11.53 @ 116.92 1.66 60's
RIP LBZ 6/1/08@5:44pm she was strong
She's Alive again
Born on July 27, 2008, 11:59:02 PM

Custom ECM & TCM Tuning for 2001-2010 LB7/LLY/LBZ/LMM trucks
by Tony Martino at Ridge Runner Diesel available here-
EFI Live Products
ripmf666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Im not sure on prices of mpi or ppe's but I have heard that theirs are way more expensive also. And Trent Nell with extreme prejudice racing is the other I'd go with, except I don't believe he makes them for the lmm. Also he has a triple turbo kit for not too much more than twins. Also I don't believe he has them for the lmm yet either, so just forget I mentioned him!

And I need to add this about mpi, I've noticed that they run consistantly faster than any others with the same tuning..
Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
ATPTRUCKS

i would call scott at sdp top notch quality and service is the best. He is who i bought mine thru
Special thanks to: Mike L, Gtrippin, IdahoRob, Dmaxstore, HSP, ISSPRO, Yukon, Airdog

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Adrenaline Truck Performance IDAHO ROB 208.685.1000
sickdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickdiesel View Post
i would call scott at sdp top notch quality and service is the best. He is who i bought mine thru
He said in a few comments up that Scott wasn't the best to him when he got his egr delete
Old 03-04-2011, 08:24 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
ATPTRUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackyoudip View Post
He said in a few comments up that Scott wasn't the best to him when he got his egr delete
i remember that, but just giving me opinion

and on a side note when i do my motor build im doing keyed crank and cam, mahle pistons (cast), carillo rods, socal stage 1 heads, main and head studs. and call it a day
Special thanks to: Mike L, Gtrippin, IdahoRob, Dmaxstore, HSP, ISSPRO, Yukon, Airdog

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Adrenaline Truck Performance IDAHO ROB 208.685.1000
sickdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickdiesel View Post
i remember that, but just giving me opinion

and on a side note when i do my motor build im doing keyed crank and cam, mahle pistons (cast), carillo rods, socal stage 1 heads, main and head studs. and call it a day
You think alot like me! My first comment on here basically said that!
Your truck is set up exactly the way I want mine to be. Minus the rims and lowering part, other then that it's everything I want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.