Looking to upgrade BIGGER - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Turbo's Stock and Aftermarket. Place for all your turbo questions

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 09:19 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Looking to upgrade BIGGER

With the stock turbo, I boost only to about 18 psi. Whats a better upgrade to produce more boost to make more HP & torque. Yes, I have a stock trans, rearend only have the Banks 6-gun full package. Will any of the newer turbo's bolt up as a replacement?
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2011, 09:21 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Wreckin' Shop
Supporting Member

get the PPE boost valve
Old 04-30-2011, 10:13 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Boost valve and tuning. Stock turbo has enough power to run 12's no prob. You will destroy the trans long before that obviously. But you have enough turbo to make pretty good power.

(The boost valve will hold the wastegate closed until you reach higher boost)
Self built/tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC converter / Co-Pilot | 1792 / BD Filter| Black 5" Hood Stack | Homebuilt Trac Bars | Coil-overs | 250psi water/meth | Black MM951's | roll pan | Autometer/ISSpro/UltraGauge | sleeves | self Lowered | deep pan etc.
12.61 @ 105 - 5800ft elev (stock trans) 12.6 vid

Parted out my car for a Pilot's License!!!
GravityKnightFlying
GeneralTJI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 12:05 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick 9 View Post
With the stock turbo, I boost only to about 18 psi. Whats a better upgrade to produce more boost to make more HP & torque. Yes, I have a stock trans, rearend only have the Banks 6-gun full package. Will any of the newer turbo's bolt up as a replacement?
Ur problem is the banks, what the others said is correct, ditch the banks get efi live a lift pump and build the tranny then see if u still want to upgrade the turbo. U haven't even maxed out it's potential no reason to upgrade it
2006 CCSB 2500Hd Lt2 LLY DMax, Efi live 150hp Idaho Rob , 5in Straight Pipe 6in Black Tip:rockin, Diamond Eye Dp, Tie rod sleeves, Edge Insight cts, SDP Egr Delete Pipe, Fprv shimmed, Pcv Reroute, All On mod, Blue led's in gauges cluster, Clarion Nx700, 8000k HID's highs/lows/fogs, Rbp Locking Fuel Door, Recons with Led Reverse lights
Name is Sharks06LLY on Duramaxdiesels.com

WishforaDMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 12:12 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

the PPE boost valve is a good investment and the price is right at about 30 bucks. IT should be good for an extra 2-5lbs of boost, and really easy install.

Sold:
03 GMC LB7 ECSB SLT 4x4
jeffro.tull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 12:17 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Im seeing 26-28 PSI pretty easily with a stock turbo, BIV, and a QSII on 90 HP. I would try different tuning man, and get a BIV to go with it.
2002 CCSB 4x4 LT. Dark charcoal exterior/black leather interior. 20x9 Death Metal Novakanes. 33 12.50 20 MT's. NBS smoked cab lights. Double Din in dash. 5" exhaust. Downpipe. AirDog II 165. Home made 4" intake. Home made traction bars. KrYpTiK Tuned.
jessman388 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You have a long way to go untill you need a bigger turbo.

And remember, a bigger turbo is a power supporter, not a power adder
Hondarider552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 10:24 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I should add the list of things I'v done to it 1st, I'v already done the ppe Boost valve, the little Blue inline valve.
I thought once you put a package (Banks 6-gun w/speed loader) thats a tune. Am I wrong?
I'm hearing from many other people to get rid of the Banks system, That it's to weak or safe. But all in all I'm only hitting about 18psi max on the turbo w/the PPE boost valve, why? Should I tweak the Banks BIG HEAD waste gate to flow more boost? If I do whats the max Boost the stock turbo can handle before I grenade that tiny thing?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:29 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Where is your boost tap located at? Maybe you are getting an inacurate reading. And yes you might have that big head wastegate improperly adjusted and are just losing boost. If you do adjust it I would stay below 30-31 PSI. BTW, with better tuning, that "tiny thing" turbo will break plenty of parts on that truck before you will need a turbo upgrade. Just saying man, its not a bad turbo up to 500HP or so.
2002 CCSB 4x4 LT. Dark charcoal exterior/black leather interior. 20x9 Death Metal Novakanes. 33 12.50 20 MT's. NBS smoked cab lights. Double Din in dash. 5" exhaust. Downpipe. AirDog II 165. Home made 4" intake. Home made traction bars. KrYpTiK Tuned.
jessman388 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 10:29 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
I should add the list of things I'v done to it 1st, I'v already done the ppe Boost valve, the little Blue inline valve.
I thought once you put a package (Banks 6-gun w/speed loader) thats a tune. Am I wrong?
I'm hearing from many other people to get rid of the Banks system, That it's to weak or safe. But all in all I'm only hitting about 18psi max on the turbo w/the PPE boost valve, why? Should I tweak the Banks BIG HEAD waste gate to flow more boost? If I do whats the max Boost the stock turbo can handle before I grenade that tiny thing?
sounds like you have the gate set to 18psi. so try to set it at 28
Efi Live by Rob Coddens
s472
DirtyMaxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.