turbo problem!! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Turbo's Stock and Aftermarket. Place for all your turbo questions

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 07:05 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

turbo problem!!

ok i double checked the whole exhaust today, its fine straight through 4"the whole way.i double checked the pyro guage and sending unit no problems.now i think its the turbo causing these crazy egt's.its gotten worse in the past couple days, which makes me believe its mechanical not electronic. maybe the actuator that controls the variable vanes on the turbo isnt opening and letting the boost into the motor?i get get huge boost spikes realfast at mid throttle and egt spike as well.also you dont feel any of the 33 psi boost at all, but its gaugeing? it before the turbo vanes that release the pressure into the actual motor.does any of this make sense i'm totally green at the turbo diesel world.so if thats right what part am i looking to replace here?
[/SIGPIC]06' silverado 3500 crew cab long box //6.6LBZ//6" bds lift w/gm lift keys//37" pitbull rockers//edge juice w/attitude//4inch straight exhaust//K&N cold air kit//"winchready"front bumper//egr blocked and fingered//plugged resonator//pcv rerouted//N.A.D.P full race 6speed allison w sc 1056 converter//
mikes454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 07:14 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

and...

also when i ran it today with the exhaust opened up at the manifold to see if it lowered egt's, i noticed that at somewhere over 20psi the exhaust made a loud horrible screaming/barking sound?maybe the wastegate or blowoff valve or whatever opening because the boost is "trapped "in the turbo??
[/SIGPIC]06' silverado 3500 crew cab long box //6.6LBZ//6" bds lift w/gm lift keys//37" pitbull rockers//edge juice w/attitude//4inch straight exhaust//K&N cold air kit//"winchready"front bumper//egr blocked and fingered//plugged resonator//pcv rerouted//N.A.D.P full race 6speed allison w sc 1056 converter//
Old 09-19-2008, 07:19 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Yep!

The VVT dose not have a waste gate. It could be a problem with the Vanes on the turbo not operating like they should.

01 Dmax CC, SB, 2wd
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent". - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraskank View Post
So basically this is the only time I'm allowed to call you a giant douchebag pickle smoocher without getting an infraction.

2012 Duramax Forum Best Troll Award Winner for Promoting Jmaz to Admin

deeretracks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

how do i check the vane actuator?what is it called if i have to order the part?thanks guys..
Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Smoke. It's what's cookin

How is your dealer with mods on the truck? Your motor has a 100k warranty I believe. Turbo should be covered. Take the edge off and take it back. Take off your intake tube to the front of the turbo and see if there's anything that looks unusual and see if the shaft has any play in it. Your Vane position sensor might be acting up as well.

Ted Nugent
aggar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2008, 07:52 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Yep!

You might want to take the J/A off and see if it is still doing the same thing.

01 Dmax CC, SB, 2wd
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent". - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
So basically this is the only time I'm allowed to call you a giant douchebag pickle smoocher without getting an infraction.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:13 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

i have no warranty. remove the juice even though you can put it on the "stock" setting and its supposed to do nothing then?
Old 09-19-2008, 11:32 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes454 View Post
i have no warranty. remove the juice even though you can put it on the "stock" setting and its supposed to do nothing then?
Even on the stock setting it can conflict with the comp. Sometimes the pins get lose in the connectors and cause probs. I would unhook it and see if it helps. If it dose the check all the pins in the harness connector and be sure there are none that are lose.

01 Dmax CC, SB, 2wd
Quote:

Old 09-19-2008, 11:58 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Exclamation Junk the Edge...

It took the JWAttitude 5 minutes to throw lots of dtc's on my truckIt does wire inline the ECM,so take it off and then see how it acts..^^^^ I agree with the above as stated.....
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2008, 08:23 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

still tryin

i removed the edge today still high egt's.so i think its the turbo vane solenoid, or the turbo vane position sensor??still working enough to sneak by the dtc, but sticking or something...any thoughts on this latest theory..the turbo above 20+psi kicks in and out very abruptly and noisy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.