Max Tire size? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Wheels & Tires Discuss what wheels & tires are right for you.
Sponsored by:

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 03:13 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Max Tire size?

does anyone know what the maximum tire size you can put on a stock '08 2500HD? I cranked my bars some to level out the truck a little but besides that, its just the stock suspension. I just want to know what tire will fit without rubbing.
Autometer Cobalt Boost and EGT gauges on the pillar, Cognito leveling kit with BFG A/T 285's on XD Series 18's
MacRebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 03:17 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Cool Depends on what you really want from it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRebel View Post
does anyone know what the maximum tire size you can put on a stock '08 2500HD? I cranked my bars some to level out the truck a little but besides that, its just the stock suspension. I just want to know what tire will fit without rubbing.
Probably 285's are the largest you'd wanna run...I have 285's and they rub a tad on turns,only when in reverse though!!285's will be safe and you won't be comprimising your ride...I think 285's are the biggest you can squeeze on a stock wheel IIRC!!
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2008, 03:27 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Yeah, I had 285s on my '00 1500 Silverado. I was going to get new wheels as well though. Thinking about 18s. Not sure if I really want to go to the 20s. What tires do you run and are they on stock wheels?
Autometer Cobalt Boost and EGT gauges on the pillar, Cognito leveling kit with BFG A/T 285's on XD Series 18's
MacRebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2008, 08:00 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Cool Here's the info/sorry I was late witit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRebel View Post
Yeah, I had 285s on my '00 1500 Silverado. I was going to get new wheels as well though. Thinking about 18s. Not sure if I really want to go to the 20s. What tires do you run and are they on stock wheels?
I run 285/75/16 on mine and they are fine.They only rub when I'm in reverse and cut the wheel hard to one side or the other.STOCK WHEEL...If you're gonna change the rim size,then you'll need the correct backspacing so you don't have problems.What height and width wheel are you lookin at getting?I'd considered putting the 305's on at first[guy said he could def mount them]but I didn't want to have problems turning and such[with the width]..I 1st put mud terrains on and didn't balance them even one time.ummm[they didn't last but 12-14k or so]I have gotten me some all terrains[same size:285/75/16 and I love how quiet they are,seems they wear a hell of a lot better too!!!I'll prob get me 2 more new 285's and put the M/T's back on for winter.[case I gotta yank one of the bosses Powerjoke from the mud around the site]
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......

Old 09-28-2008, 05:36 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Diesel Addict

the biggest on most GM trucks without any lift is a 285-75R16 or 285-70R17.if they do rub a little a leveling kit will take care of that.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:19 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I am able to run a 255/85 r16 on factory rims with a set of 2" torsion keys and i have yet to make them rub. Problems i am having though include the middles wear faster when aired up properly and availability(most stores dont carry this size). My brother-in-law is running Nitto mud grapplers size 33x12.50 (after market rims) with the 2" keys as well on his 08 but they rub excessively when he turns all the way.
Intake: Air Box Mod. ProFab intake horn
Suspension: Cognito UCAs with 2" Lift Front and Rear. CrankitupDiesel Tie Rod Sleeves. Cognito pitman/idler braces.
Autometer Phantom II Boost & Pyro w/overhead console mount.
AmsOil in Tranny, Transfer Case and Diffs. MA Transfer case pump upgrade.
FUTURE UPGRADES
EFI Live w/DSP5
Clutch Upgrades
rotcartdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 09:37 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Currently running 285/75/16 but I will be going to a 33x2
12.5x18 with Toyo MT's soon. I had them mounted up about two weeks ago to check them out drove around the lot and meneuvered quite well with only a slight rub in reverse. I used the ready-lift keys to level mine.
EFI Live from ATP
Edge Insight
LLY Mouthpiece
Sinister EGR Delete
PCV Reroute
4" MBRP

jcline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 06:10 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotcartdj View Post
I am able to run a 255/85 r16 on factory rims with a set of 2" torsion keys and i have yet to make them rub. Problems i am having though include the middles wear faster when aired up properly and availability(most stores dont carry this size). My brother-in-law is running Nitto mud grapplers size 33x12.50 (after market rims) with the 2" keys as well on his 08 but they rub excessively when he turns all the way.
If the middle is wearing faster,then you def have too much pressure in em!!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

295 75 under my 05
Green
Put 582 995
05greendmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 05:01 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Received a Hummer

Just a heads up....if you run anything bigger than a 245...and plan on getting different wheels....you can rub badly. I put a leveling kit on my truck, got teflon wheels with I think a 0 offset rating, or basically a set that stick out the least and my 265's required me to do A LOT of plastic cutting.... But people who do it with stock wheels don't have issues because they suck in more. Also, there was a thread on here about bigger tires on stock wheels causing blow outs or something....you might want to research that.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.