Grabber AT2 vs. Open Country AT2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Wheels & Tires Discuss what wheels & tires are right for you.
Sponsored by:

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: General Grabber AT2's vs. Toyo Open Country AT2's
General Grabber AT2's 35x12.5x20 6 28.57%
Toyo Open Country AT2's 35x12.5x20 15 71.43%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Grabber AT2 vs. Open Country AT2

I'm about to make a decision on future rubbers, and I have narrowed it down to the General Grabber AT2 or the Toyo Open Country AT2 in 35x12.5x20. I already have a good idea on which brand I am going to get. But for S&G's I'll run it by the forum. So what do the guys, who have run either of these tires on their rig, think? Thanks for your insight!
2011HD, 6" CST lift, 22" American Force Wheels, 8 to 10 Lug Adapters, 35X13 Nitto Trail Grapper M/T's, Winch Ready Front and Rear Bumpers, XRC Winch, 30" Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, 6 2x2 Rigid Industries LED Lights (4 in front bumper and 2 in rear bumper), Bushwacker Fender Flares, X Metal Black Billet Grille, NFAB Step Bars, Walker Evans Racing Shocks, Edge Evo HT Tuner.
Brodozr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Toyo is far superior to Generals
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddrew View Post
Toyo is far superior to Generals
You know this because you ran both the Toyo's and General's?
2011HD, 6" CST lift, 22" American Force Wheels, 8 to 10 Lug Adapters, 35X13 Nitto Trail Grapper M/T's, Winch Ready Front and Rear Bumpers, XRC Winch, 30" Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, 6 2x2 Rigid Industries LED Lights (4 in front bumper and 2 in rear bumper), Bushwacker Fender Flares, X Metal Black Billet Grille, NFAB Step Bars, Walker Evans Racing Shocks, Edge Evo HT Tuner.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I have a buddy who put the generals on his dodge and they wore like dog shit. Toyo tires always receive very high customer satisfaction. General's are cheaper than Nittos, BFG's, and Toyo's for a reason.

The grabber's are just the BFG AT look on the cheap. IMO you might not be satisfied with how a A/T looks in a 35" tire
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodozr View Post
You know this because you ran both the Toyo's and General's?
I have run both at this point.

See here:
My new tires

I REALLY like the new pattern and design of the AT2. I "liked" my Generals, but the Toyos have already by far impressed me more in the ~5k miles I have put on them than the Generals ever did. In my opinion 2 completely different scope and quaity of tire.

Unless you "know" a shop that has a set of the 35x12.50x20, you will be waiting until March. I have scoured the country for 2 sets through the wholesalers with zero luck.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
1969 Chevrolet Corvette BB
DF DRW Member #175
b16gsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16gsr View Post
I have run both at this point.

See here:
My new tires

I REALLY like the new pattern and design of the AT2. I "liked" my Generals, but the Toyos have already by far impressed me more in the ~5k miles I have put on them than the Generals ever did. In my opinion 2 completely different scope and quaity of tire.

Unless you "know" a shop that has a set of the 35x12.50x20, you will be waiting until March. I have scoured the country for 2 sets through the wholesalers with zero luck.
Thanks for the info! Are you referring to the Grabbers being hard to get ahold of, or the Toyos?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodozr View Post
Thanks for the info! Are you referring to the Grabbers being hard to get ahold of, or the Toyos?
Toyo. Demand far exceeded the sales expectations on several sizes.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
1969 Chevrolet Corvette BB
DF DRW Member #175
b16gsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddrew View Post
I have a buddy who put the generals on his dodge and they wore like dog shit. Toyo tires always receive very high customer satisfaction. General's are cheaper than Nittos, BFG's, and Toyo's for a reason.

The grabber's are just the BFG AT look on the cheap. IMO you might not be satisfied with how a A/T looks in a 35" tire
The Grabbers are definitely cheaper, however they also have been scoring some good reviews on the tire websites I've looked at. I'm wondering what tread life is like.

Another point scored for the Toyo's are they start life with 17/32" compared to General's 16/32" in the size I'm looking for, although it's a really quite negligible difference. But the 50,000 mile warranty is awesome compared to General's 00,000 mile warranty.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

The back order is nuts!!! OP go with the Toyo Open Country M/T's. Rotated every oil change they will last 40k. I live in So Cal as well. Check out tire crawler.com they are located in Downey. Good pricing and service.

Last edited by Runs2rch; 12-07-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Runs2rch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Ive had several different brand tires and these toyo's are awesome, 40k on them and I might be able to squeeze another 30k if they dont dry rot first. I have always bought the more expensive tires and I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. The best tire I have ever had was the bfg km2, could have gotten 80k out of them but they were louder then my toyo at's. I will buy toyo again

LBZ|6"|Toyo AT|Fuel Mavericks
Custom Pearl Paint
S&B CAI|5" MBRP Exhaust|BD Power Pup|PPE Shim Kit|Profab EGR Delete|Profab DP|LML Manifold|PCV Re-route|Cobalt Boost & Pyro
Bilstein 5100 & Stabilizer|Krypto Tie Rods|Moog Pitman|Idler Arms|Krypto UCA
Mag Hytec Diff Cover
LsUtIGeRs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.