New wheels and new PROBLEM help!!! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Wheels & Tires Discuss what wheels & tires are right for you.
Sponsored by:

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

New wheels and new PROBLEM help!!!

So I just got my XD hoss wheels and took the truck to the tire shop. I made it very clear to take the tire sensors off the stock wheels and put them in the new KMC wheels because I did not want to see the dash light. Well to my surprise they did not install the sensor and said they would not fit.

I told them you should have stopped and called me and asked if I wanted to proceed with the installation of the wheels. I then asked for the manager who said the XD hoss wheel are not made for sensors and will not work. I told him that’s BS because the other Manager I talked to said worst case is that I need to buy new sensors or adapters to make it work.

So 2 questions…
I thought it was a federal law to have them installed on any tire after a certain year or if the vehicle is equip with them.
Last question, has anyone hear of not being able to use stock sensor in the KMC XD HOSS rims.

I think they forgot and are trying to pass it off that they won’t fit.

I told them they are going to fix for free and they agreed but said they don’t even know what sensor to buy.
2010 GMC SLE 2500HD 4x4 White CCSB – 33 Bfg At’s – Method Racing Wheels – Kryponite A-arms - Kryptonite sway bar ends – Rare parts tie rods – Fox 2.0 shocks – McGaughty drop shackles – Edge Insight EAS and backup camera – PPE modded air box – MBRP 4inch DPF back – Line-X – Amp steps – Fumoto valve – Firestone towbags w/ compressor – JL10 sub and amp

Last edited by GMCRIG; 01-25-2013 at 12:08 AM.
GMCRIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

It is federal law but I left mine out. Yeah you get the dash indicator bUt it doesn't bother me. As far as they won't fit I believe that is crap. Never heard of that.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

NHTSA's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act prohibits service providers from installing aftermarket tires and wheels on your vehicle without working TPMS sensors.

In some states, vehicle inspection regulations require operating TPMS on every vehicle that came with TPMS as Original Equipment. Check with local law enforcement officials to confirm restrictions in your area.

I dont see how this\/\/\/ Does not fit. the pack is flat, and the valve is the same size as every other wheel, I'm sure

Tell them to call tirerack, and get some real knowledge on what TPMS will fit them if yours won't.
Big-Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Rob View Post
NHTSA's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act prohibits service providers from installing aftermarket tires and wheels on your vehicle without working TPMS sensors.

In some states, vehicle inspection regulations require operating TPMS on every vehicle that came with TPMS as Original Equipment. Check with local law enforcement officials to confirm restrictions in your area.

I dont see how this\/\/\/ Does not fit. the pack is flat, and the valve is the same size as every other wheel, I'm sure

Tell them to call tirerack, and get some real knowledge on what TPMS will fit them if yours won't.
Thank you guys, because if it comes down to them telling me no, I'm throwing this out there.
2010 GMC SLE 2500HD 4x4 White CCSB – 33 Bfg At’s – Method Racing Wheels – Kryponite A-arms - Kryptonite sway bar ends – Rare parts tie rods – Fox 2.0 shocks – McGaughty drop shackles – Edge Insight EAS and backup camera – PPE modded air box – MBRP 4inch DPF back – Line-X – Amp steps – Fumoto valve – Firestone towbags w/ compressor – JL10 sub and amp
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Yeah, I agree. Not sure why they said they did not fit. My factory TPMS sensors fit in my XD801 Crank wheels. I know it is a different wheel, but is still an XD made for a Duramax bolt pattern. Should have the same size valve stem opening and because the pack is flat like above (that is what the factory pack looks like except in black) then it should fit without an issue.

2008 GMC 2500HD LMM SLT CC SB 4x4 Z71
Buckstop front bumper, WARN M12000 winch, PIAA 520 ATP driving / PIAA 510 fog, Westin Platinum Series nerf bars, Pace Edwards Bedlocker tonneau cover, Cognito UCA leveling kit and HD Idler Pivot Assembly, Cognito Pitman and Idler steering braces, Bilstein 5100's, LT285/70R17 BFG AT KO tires, 17 x 9 XD Series Crank Wheels, 15% Tint Driver/Passenger windows, GM Tow Mirrors, DDM Tuning HID lights 6000K 35W
Georgia Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
most known unknown
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Rob View Post

so thats what blue balls looks like

thats BS, they forgot, and you know it!

Last edited by jwcgmc1985; 01-25-2013 at 11:55 AM.
jwcgmc1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I would bet they broke one or possibly more of the sensors, and tried to get out of replacing them. GM sensors are like $80 a piece, depending on the day of the week you go to the stealership...

Had a tire shop break one of mine once, when I got in the truck, and then went back in to ask why my tpms light was on, they tried to tell me their werent any sensors in the wheels... Soooo the truck just doesnt like my new tires even though it doesnt even know it has tires on it, according to your story???

Found out, the tech broke 2 of them, and wrote it up as not having them and was going to flash the comp thinking i would take it somehwere else when it came back on but forgot......

Big-Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Good update, went back and talked to the first store manager I spoke with yesterday. I told him what happen and he was pissed. He told the guys in back to stop and fix my truck asap. They installed the stock sensors in the new wheels and all is good now. Store manager said he is going have a good talk with his employee because I was the 3rd person this week to come back because install error with the same employee. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Good to hear you got it fixed, this worlds becoming full of LAZY workers! Those douches forgot and were to damn lazy to redo it. To think how many people they have screwed that just took there word for it. I run in to people like that all the time it's hilarious when someone is telling me something I know is pure crap, I just stop them and tell them not to insult my intelligence. Lol

Sold-08 Sierra 2500hd, CCSB, black on black, 22x9.5 -18mm fuel hostages inside 33x12.5 toyo mt, 4" magnaflow, egr blocked, pcv reroute, EFI Live by Kory
projectblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectblack View Post
Good to hear you got it fixed, this worlds becoming full of LAZY workers! Those douches forgot and were to damn lazy to redo it. To think how many people they have screwed that just took there word for it. I run in to people like that all the time it's hilarious when someone is telling me something I know is pure crap, I just stop them and tell them not to insult my intelligence. Lol
Lol im going to use that next time...not to insult my intelligence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.