2012 gmc tpms - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Wheels & Tires Discuss what wheels & tires are right for you.
Sponsored by:

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

2012 gmc tpms

I have a 2012 GMC 2500hd. Went to my dealer today because i have lowered my tire pressure to 50 in the front and 55 in the rear. Went to my dealer to get the tpms reset for these pressures. I told them i needed a relearn on my tpms they said no problem. After the guy does the relearn at No Charge he said my low pressure light was still on. He asked me if i wanted him to ad air to my tires. I said no I had my tires at the pressure i wanted to run and that's why i wanted the relearn done. He says i don't know if i can do that with this tool he said let me goes ask the service righter i go with him. The service righter says that they can't change the pressure setting on the system. He said the factory set it to the pressures in door sticker and they cant change it. He also said something about thank your federal government. Is this something that has changed on the 2012 that you cant change the pressure on the monitoring system. One more thing my tire size is LT245/70R 17". On my car a 2006 Mercedes and and my wifes 2009 Lexus i can set the tpms to what ever pressure i want to run Any one else heard of this?

Last edited by nashguy207; 02-05-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Added tire size
nashguy207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 04:39 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Anyone??
Old 02-05-2013, 04:42 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade
Lifetime Supporting Member

I changed mine, the dealer can change yours. I think their policy is to not change settings from what's on the door for liability reasons, but some dealers will do it.
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

TPMS "re-learn" and moving the set trip points are two different things... Sounds like you asked them to re-learn when you wanted the trip points dropped from the current 60PSI. You have to be real clear with these service guys...

For what its worth my dealer lowered my trip point from 60 to 50PSI on all my wheels because I went to larger 305 tires that are only rated for 65PSI max. I run them at 50PSI empty and I got tired of the TPMS warnings always going off. I had a good excuse for them to change the trip point since these tires are not rated at 80PSI like the stock tires. I have heard some dealers wont change the trip points for reasons you have already pointed out. I would try another dealer and be very clear that you want the trip points lowered and NOT a simple re-learn.
Sandman_73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

You think im running to low of a pressure for the tire i have? The reason i lowered the pressure was for a little better ride. You think if im towing up to 3000lbs the pressure is low or you think im okay with 55 in the rears?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade

If your running E rated tires they may not change the settings. I would not run them that low towing.....I personally would'nt go below 65 all around but you might get multiple opinions on that subject. The front of our trucks weigh 4000+ so the sidewalls get quite the workout running to low.
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

Member #19
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

The best thing you can do to improve the ride is ditch the crap stock tires and go with a wider E rated with less PSI. The ride on my truck is much less harsh with the 305/55/20 ATZs I put on. With a larger/wider tire you dont have to run as high PSI to get the same kind of load rating.
Sandman_73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_73 View Post
The best thing you can do to improve the ride is ditch the crap stock tires and go with a wider E rated with less PSI. The ride on my truck is much less harsh with the 305/55/20 ATZs I put on. With a larger/wider tire you dont have to run as high PSI to get the same kind of load rating.
X2 I'm running my 305/55 at 45 all around. Much better ride than stock tires at 65psi.

Also, my dealer gave me the same BS about not changing the TPMS so I went to a different dealership and they did it.
MaxPayne.357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Other than a V2 can you buy a tool that you can reset them with? Made a mistake on my tire size LT245/75R/17.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade

The tools that i know about, that would work, are over 2gs.

Member #19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.