mud truck tires - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Wheels & Tires Discuss what wheels & tires are right for you.
Sponsored by:

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 09:59 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

mud truck tires

I got a 76 big block chevy mud truck with 4.56 gears im lookin into buyin a set of 35" boggers but im undecided on buying wide or skinny tires. The deepest mud ill prolly go through is 3 feet ive got the power to turn wides but i just dont know.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 10:03 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Have fun In the mud with the 35's. I run 40's and 44's in the boggers and they are 15.50 I think
Mods:EFI Live, GA Diesel Stg. 4, Garmon Custom Converter, AirDog II, EPR s464, EPR 5" intake, EPR 3" IC tube, EPR 3.5" Downpipe, RDL pedestal, Turbo Performace blanket, MBRP 4" exhaust, Silverline 6" Black Stainless stack, Autometer Cobalt boost/pyro, Modified 6" Fabtech, Fabtech traction bars, PPE sleeves, Cognito braces, Rancho shocks, 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ, 20" ProComp Extreme
472/941-Stock Charger
Thanks Harley, Phil @ Georgia Diesel, Trent Nell @ Extreme Prejudice Racing, Jason @ 4 Wheel Parts, Levi @ Turbo Performance Products
Georgia Diesel
706-356-2174

Last edited by GeorgiaDuramax; 03-11-2010 at 10:06 AM.
GeorgiaDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

3' of mud and 35" tires you will be stuck instantly. 40" plus is the only way to go. I have the new 42" TSL SX2 and they are pretty sweet!

If the mud is sloppy and has a bottom, go skinny. If it pretty sloppy and you want to attempt to stay on top, go wide.
06 CCSB LBZ 4x4 LT3; torsion key lift (leveled); 265/75-16 Pro Comp A/T on OEM wheels (winter), BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain 275/70-18 on XD Diesel 18x9 (summer); MBRP 4" turbo back with Corsa muffler; EGR blocked; Edge Insight CTS gauges; EFI Live DSP2 by Idaho Rob - 80HP DD and 40HP tow with turbo brake (love it!); Rancho 9000XL shocks; updated rear cab mounts; Transgo Jr.; Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves; everything synthetic; Access Tonneau hiding Line-X; tinted windows 5% all around; Tekonsha P3 brake controller; HIR bulbs, more to come soon......
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

if you have a big block and 4.56 gears you can turn 44s great and 40s awesome!
Performance: PPE HOT +2 Race (on level 7)
HB D-MAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 10:38 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

The reason I dont want bigger tires is I only got a 6 inch lift and I dont want to have to compete with people that have 10 grand in there motors. The classes are set up unfair if you run 35's you run stock class with mildly built motors any class above that in tire size you can pretty much run whatever except nitrous and blowers. There are guys out ther pushin 700 hp. I know I could turn em but I just dont have the lift for it.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Quicker Then Brian!

personally i like skinnies....i think they slice right through the stuff

Thanks to,
Big Dipper, Efilive, Calvert, Precession Converters, Nick@Duramaxtuner, Eaton, Pureflow, and Falken
RedBowTies88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Just do some trimin or even do a body lift because it's a mud truck and put 38's. I've seen 40's on a 6 inch lift and 2 inch body lift
Mods:EFI Live, GA Diesel Stg. 4, Garmon Custom Converter, AirDog II, EPR s464, EPR 5" intake, EPR 3" IC tube, EPR 3.5" Downpipe, RDL pedestal, Turbo Performace blanket, MBRP 4" exhaust, Silverline 6" Black Stainless stack, Autometer Cobalt boost/pyro, Modified 6" Fabtech, Fabtech traction bars, PPE sleeves, Cognito braces, Rancho shocks, 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ, 20" ProComp Extreme
472/941-Stock Charger
Thanks Harley, Phil @ Georgia Diesel, Trent Nell @ Extreme Prejudice Racing, Jason @ 4 Wheel Parts, Levi @ Turbo Performance Products
Georgia Diesel
706-356-2174
GeorgiaDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

If it were me skinnies all the way, but fatties gotta have some loving too.
S&B Cold Air Intake
MBRP 4" Turbo Back No Kitty
Leveled W/18x9 XD Rockstar &
Nitto Terra Grappler 325/60/18
Autometer Ultra Lite IIs
Cleared Headlights By ME!
8000K HIDS (hi,lo,&fogs)
Superdiesel Ported Turbo Mouthpiece
GOGODURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 12:03 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

if your competing its probably going to be some pretty deep mud, so skinnys arent going to work great for you. for skinnys there has to be a bottom that they can dig down to.
i would say if this is only a play toy i would go as wide as you can, lighten the truck as much as you can and keep the wide tires spinning as fast as you can. should keep you towards the top of the muck.
thats just my opinion though, everyone goes about mud a little different.
The next time you see any adults talking (or wearing a hat) during the playing of the National Anthem - Kick Their Ass or at least say something
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 09:48 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Hmm whats the different sizes? I found that 12.5 is a decent width. I agree with everyone as to they slice down. But, if your doing any trail riding or hill climbs you want a little wider set.

Check out this truck that 4wheels with us :rockin

Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.