Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

'15 Dually Tire Sizes???

37K views 44 replies 11 participants last post by  s022mag 
#1 ·
Looking to upgrade tires on stock 17" wheels. Either going with Toyo Open Country AT2 Extreme 285/75/17 but I really want Cooper STT Pro 315/70/17.

I really need help on which tires to go with and what it would take to fit the 315s? I'm not afraid of trimming or a little crank. But how much?

#2 ·
#3 ·
Your truck is what made me want the 285/75/17s. I just feel like the new body style has more room for larger tires. A coworker has 275/65/20s and is only cranked less than 7/8" over stock height.

The wide tire on a narrow rim also has me concerned but after some research I've found a ton of guys running a 35x12.5 on the same wheels, including Nick.

So, aside from the wide tires on a narrow rim issue, would the larger tires fit on a '15?

Also, how much taller did the 285/75/17s become after mounting on the wheels?

#4 ·
A 275/65/20 and 285/75/17 are the same size. Right at 34" tall but only 10.50" wide. In my opinion you can do a wider tire but why?? You end up just wearing the center out of them.

Sure you can run a 35" tire and sure you can just crank the keys a little but I want to know that it rides right and does not wear the tires premature due to a 12.50" wide tire on a 6" wheel. I also didn't want the tire hanging out past the fender line. You could for sure run the 315/70. You only gain .7" or .35" height. But I assure you will need a 2" spacer out back.

#7 ·
275/60/20 is too short for leveled truck let alone lifted. I know. See below.

275/60/20 Nitto DuraGrappler Leveled

275/65/20 Toyo MT Leveled perfect

285/75/17 is pretty much 34x11.2". I don't really want to go any wider, especially with the factory 6.5" wide wheels. But I do want to go taller to fill more of the fender wells. If I go with the 285/75s I'm probably going to try to make them fit without cranking. If I can, I might even get some drop shackles for the rear.

I'm not necessarily looking for a tall truck, I just want it to look proportional. Which for me means tires that have enough sidewall, fill the fender wells, and aren't too narrow. I think a 35x11 with maybe an inch of crank would be about perfect if it existed.

Do y'all think I could fit 315/70/17s with no more than an inch of crank? I'm willing to do the bumper mod. What other trimming would be needed? Large fender mod?
You can fit the 285/75 without cranking or leveling, I know I tried. I had mud flaps and they rubbed. I like the look of a leveled truck that is proportionate as well, versus a rake. Sure I could have done a shackle, but I wanted it to be tall.

To me going to a 315/70 is not worth having to run the extra .5" on the spacer for the extra 1.5" of width and only .6" of height or really .3" overall height. There is no 35x11, or I would have run them.

#6 ·
285/75/17 is pretty much 34x11.2". I don't really want to go any wider, especially with the factory 6.5" wide wheels. But I do want to go taller to fill more of the fender wells. If I go with the 285/75s I'm probably going to try to make them fit without cranking. If I can, I might even get some drop shackles for the rear.

I'm not necessarily looking for a tall truck, I just want it to look proportional. Which for me means tires that have enough sidewall, fill the fender wells, and aren't too narrow. I think a 35x11 with maybe an inch of crank would be about perfect if it existed.

Do y'all think I could fit 315/70/17s with no more than an inch of crank? I'm willing to do the bumper mod. What other trimming would be needed? Large fender mod?

#9 ·
I know you ran 1.5" spacers. I'm convinced to go with 285/75/17s but in either a Toyo MT or Nitto MT. How much space did you have between the tires? Will the more aggressive tires require more space? I tow heavy so I really want to make sure the tires don't touch.

#13 ·
Smaller size and diameter but just for reference here is my 265/70 R 17 Toyo Mt with Freds 2" spacers. I didn't get any pics towing my camper but when I looked at the rear tires they still had half an inch running max air while hooked up. I'm not sure if they would have rubbed if I was only running 1 1/2 spacers but I feel safer with the 2". This is just for short weekend trips, for longer distances I throw the stock wheels and tires back on. The bad part of running the 2" spacers is how far my tires stick out on the sides, on narrow roads my wheels are touching the lines on both sides.

Attachments

#15 ·
I ended up going with 2" Fred's spacers just to be safe. I can always have them machines down but the opposite isn't true for the shorter ones.

$490 is pretty steep but you don't have much of a choice of you want steel. I'll post pics of the spacers when I get them and pics of the truck when I get the tires.

#16 ·
I ended up going with 2" Fred's spacers just to be safe. I can always have them machines down but the opposite isn't true for the shorter ones.

$490 is pretty steep but you don't have much of a choice of you want steel. I'll post pics of the spacers when I get them and pics of the truck when I get the tires.

I would say that's a good choice. I would test fit and then see if you can machine them a little. The 2" makes them hang out pretty far.

#27 ·
I know this is a couple year old thread but I just ordered the same tires:

I just bought 6 Toyo open country at2 275/65 R20s for 1650 shipped.
I ordered with 20" wheels and the 6 tires only cost me $1187 mounted/ balanced and shipped through custom offsets, just an FYI if your planning to buy wheels at the same time that it's cheaper to buy together.

(6) Toyo Open Country A/T II LT275/65R20 (352580) $1187
Mine will be here Thur.

#29 ·
what am I mssing here ?

My 2013 3500 extended cab dualy came with 235/80/R17 when I bought it a couple of months ago. Near as I can tell the wheels are "stock".

We do extensive high speed ( well, crusing at 65-70) towing of either our "toy" (box trailer with collector car) or boat trailer (both approx. 1,200 lb. bumper-tow/tongue weight - either trailer approx. 11,000 lbs.

The "specs" appear to say the above tires are adequate ( E rated) for what I am using the vehicle for. Am I wrong? Am I safe with what I have, or mustd I scrap tires still with plenty of treat on them, for a larger size in order to be safe ?

#31 · (Edited)
For me the new wheels and tires are just for looks, when I travel long distance or tow our 17,000lbs toy hauler the stock wheels go back on.

It only takes me about an hour to swap wheels so it's not an issue, and we only camp from about June to Aug while the kids and my wife are out of school.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.