Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

295/70 R18 ST Maxx cooper's.

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Caleb 6R 
#1 ·
So I just mounted and balanced up my new 295 st maxx tires. Drove home and first impression they were smooth, tiny bit of noise. Overall I was very happy with my purchase. I only have maybe 70 miles on them and this is my issue. They just feel squishy, like weak side walls or something. They are load range E tires and I've got them set at 70 PSI all the way around. I understand after I bought then they are more of a snow tire. I didn't read that any where when I was looking at them. Has anyone used this size tire and experiencedo the same? I am super bummed out right now. Anyone looking to buy a set for there 1/2 ton rig? Lol

#2 ·
From what I've read on some threads, that goes away after a few miles. I share your concern. I have some ST Maxx 285/65/18's waiting to install. I just picked up some valve stems at the dealer today to transfer the tpms over. Hoping to get them on soon and log some miles before I tow the camper.

#4 ·
I think I can feel them stiffening up already after 150 miles. Thanks for the reply.

#5 ·
I have a set on my other truck (2005 F-150) and they have been great tires. They have driven highway, city, mud, sand, and rocky terrain with no complaints from me about the tires. Compared to the BFG AT's that were on it before the ST Maxx is a much better all around tire in my opinion. They are quite on the road and clean much quicker than the BFGs. I am putting a set on my Duramax as soon as the current tires wear out. Only complaint is they don't come in a 296/60R20 size so I will be going with 285/65R20 or 305/55R20.

#8 ·
They had calmed down alot before I went to the beach last Sunday. I had about 450 miles on them when I left. I got back yesterday and they feel pretty darn good. Still getting used to the tall tread blocks. What I mean is it doesn't handle as good as the lower profile 285s I had on it before. Compared to what I first felt they are 100% better. They did great in some sand I had to drive through. It was only up a Sandy drive to the beach house but it went. My Dmax climbed my pond damn like a champ. Overall I'd recommend these tires.

#9 ·
Everybody here still happy with these tires? Looking to replace my stock Michelins when the time comes though they only have 30,600 miles on them and are about half worn.

#10 · (Edited)
I think they are a good tire. I just finally rotated mine for the 1st time with about 18k miles on them and even with that they seem to be wearing good.

The first 5-800miles, they were very squirmy with the trailer hooked up and fully inflated, but once all the oils from the molding process left the tire they became very stable.

Edit: Guess tread depth would help! The rears before rotating are sitting right at 8/32" and the fronts are 10/32". My truck usually does not leave the driveway without one of my trailers in tow "between 5800-15000lbs" , so not bad of wear.

#11 ·
They wear pretty decent. My tires are still squirmy. Not as bad when they were brand new but it's still a hard drive. Could just be the size and depth of the treads. After I rotated them they were real squirmy again like when they were new. I personally would pass on these tires. I'm trying to get the factory 20 inch 5 stars. I'll trade my current setup on 18 moto metals for a set of 20s with some good ru

#12 ·
im running 295 Stmaxxs as well, previous to these i was running 275 st maxxs, i really like tire, this set i have not rotated once and only had aligned when they were put on, 25k later they are wearing even and probably have another 15k in em. Would recommend them to anyone who wants a more aggresive tire and doesnt need long lasting wear. Tires are very squishy in the beginning.

#13 ·
Love mine, and i've had lots of tires on this truck. They definitely are not the stock 265 but they are better then my 285 toyo MT i had. They were a bit squirmy in the beginning but have firm up alot over the last 6000 kms.

Just got home from a 3200km towing trip with the big 5th wheel, 17,000lbs and not a single issue in sidewall and squirm. Tires barely wore, and didn't get as hot as the toyos. So big plus on that end.

I'd definitely recommend them as a great all around tire, i have a set of 285/70/17 duratracs i run in the winter months, and im not sure i'd have to swap tires now with these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.