help with lift pump/filter - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

help with lift pump/filter

just got this truck today and it has a lift pump/filter combo on it, but was noticing when i got it home that i didn't hear it running so i done a little bit of testing with the multimeter and found the fuse blown, and the motor/pump is shorted. truck runs and starts fine. I drove it, about two hours home also. I dont know what brand it is, looks like I will have to take it off to possibly figure that out. but hopefully i can order a new pump for it. There is also a cat filter (according to Previous owner) next to the engine.
My questions are two fold.

Will it hurt to run the truck with this lift pump not working? I got work to do!

And the second but dumb question is, how does that cat filter come off? does it just spin off like an oil filter? I just didn't want to break anything without asking someone more knowledgeable than me, which would be pretty much anyone.

Also, i was pretty excited about getting it but the previous owner said something about deleting the egr, and he bought this tuner to do ----something? Its a moonshine by ridge runner performance. looks like they may have went out of business or something, nothing is coming up on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190922_193643.jpg (37.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20190922_193636.jpg (42.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20190922_193651.jpg (33.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20190922_193602.jpg (55.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20190922_193630.jpg (61.7 KB, 57 views)

2003 2500hd new reman bosch injectors, water pump, alternator, ficim, glow plugs, starter, cat 8 micron fuel filter, and lift pump with water sep. 266k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

looks like i posted this in wrong forum, sorry. can a mod please move to appropriate forum please.

2003 2500hd new reman bosch injectors, water pump, alternator, ficim, glow plugs, starter, cat 8 micron fuel filter, and lift pump with water sep. 266k
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:22 PM

Hopefully you can find some part numbers on the pump when you get it removed. I don't recognize it myself.

You *should* be able to run the truck without the lift pump, some lift pumps allow pass through where the truck will still run if they fail, others don 't and the truck will stall and not run or be starved.

Just be easy on it, if your getting on the RPM's and it starts sputtering its starving for fuel. If you had an edge monitor or similar you could monitor commanded rail pressure and actual rail pressure to make sure your CP3 is getting the fuel it needs to run smoothly.

I've never personally ran a CAT filter adapter on my filter heads but my understanding is its just a thread adapter that allows the CAT filters to be used, it should just unscrew I would imagine.

2015.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali LML Duramax
2007.5 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CCSB LMM Duramax - Triple Black (SOLD)
2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 CCSB AFM Deleted - Olympic White (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 PM

Running a CAT filter on the OEM mount is not usually recommended because they usually don't provide water separation. But one of the filters at the lift pump may be for water separation. Still, I don't think you can beat a Racor coalescing filter on the OEM mount.

Sorry, I don't know anything about your lift pump/filter setup. As above, some allow pass-through (sounds like yours, since you ran it). You might want to fix that up when you can since it may be a little hard on the CP3 pump, and you don't know how long it's been that way.

And, as above, it should just spin off (just turn it the correct way!).

2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. Cab, Long Bed
engineer837 aux rad, TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 05:08 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

If the truck is tuned and you don't know what tune or who tuned it Id be VERY careful pulling anything heavy (7000 +). You could hurt yoru transmission very badly.

As far as the Lift Pump, it is probably wired into the fuse box under the hood. Turn the truck on and feel the motor to see if it is running. If it is not you can reroute the fuel lines to bypass it and then remove it for testing.

If you do remove the LP, replace the CAT filter with a factory filter. Easiest and fastest way is to replace the entire fuel filter head and filter. Available at Rock Auto for around $100 or so. This will get you the water separator so important to protecting your diesel form water caused detonation.

Also, this thread has some good info for you:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the info. It sounds like I need to get the factory filter back on it. I already miss my Cummings. I like the way the truck is laid out on the interior but after doing some research appears the engine is way harder to work on than it should be. Think it may be trading time.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:44 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

The lift pump looks like an older fass/or airdog. They are definitely harder to work on than a cummins but arent too bad once you get used to them.

2012 QCSB/Built 6.8L Cummins/48RE/Gated shifter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:48 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

I've taken them old lift pump motors to the local starter generator and alternator repair guy and had the motors repaired pretty reasonably and they dont need to know who makes it apparently an electric motor is pretty basic . I have a similar set up on my truck except i have the water separator on my lift pump and yes the CAT will spin off .

2002 2500HD 4x4 ccsb
EFI live Idaho Rob
LBZ CP3 and regulator
4'' lift
Ultra Predators
Toyo RT's
WHEN GUNS ARE OUTLAWED I'LL BE THE OUTLAW !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in