Warm start problem - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By stevewaclo
  • 1 Post By Earnhardtfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Warm start problem

Hello everyone, I am having a problem that a lot of others seem to have too. I hear this is common with bad injectors but i have no other symptoms other than the hard warm starts. No smoke at idle, no loss of power, no fuel in the oil as far as I can tell. Also I'm pretty sure its not the FPR because it idles smooth and quiet as can be. Not sure if the FPRV is leaking off though. The truck runs and drives amazing all the time. Starts up fine when cold but after it warms up and you kill it, it will sometimes extended crank then start and other times it wont start at all. It has had the factory filter head bypassed due to the FASS system so I'm not sure where to go. I have not gotten a chance to check balances rates yet. I hope it doesn't need injectors again so soon. I figured its time to go to the professionals! Based off my sig what do you all think? Maybe the CP3 is getting weak? Thank you all in advance!

2002 Chevy 2500HD Ext cab long bed 4x4 w/ 176K miles. Cold air, 4" straight pipe w/ axle dump, Fass 95, tow tune, 20% over Bosch injectors replaced 35K miles ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:55 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Location: Carson City, NV Proud Participant, Federal Witness Protection Program
Welcome to the Forum!

Another injector problem with LB7s is failure of the ball seat inside that becomes eroded and does not allow the return circuit ball to seal properly. When that happens, the main fuel pump (CP3) is unable to establish minimum rail pressure to wake up the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) and begin lighting up injectors. Diesel viscosity obviously changes with temp, and when it is cold, the thicker diesel can be properly controlled by the return circuit, but when the engine warms, the thinner diesel goes past the check ball and seat, minimum rail pressure is hard to establish and long crank times result.

Ironic that 8 tiny balls, not seating properly can bring down a 7,000# behemoth.

Use advanced search and look up return rate tests (maybe put in my user name as I’ve written about this before) and you will find an easy way to check total return (fairly easy) or return at each bank (a bit more fussy).

Unfortunately, if it is the return circuit, no fix except injector R&R . (And yipe, only 35k on Bosch injectors).

May also be a temp sensitive fuel supply issue. Does the primer help on hot starts?

Keep in touch.
Hook'em_Horns! likes this.

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE ExtCab CA Emissions; 155k; Allison 1000 w/Transynd X2 Flush & Fill; 8' bed; AFE/CAI; MBRP 4" Exhaust; Side Tint, 33% VLT, rear, Limo; Smittybilt Stainless Side Nerf Bars; Sprayed-in Bed Liner; MadJack Fuel Filter Access Door; Regular Used Oil Analysis (latest available on request), Blackstone Labs; EGT/Boost Gauges; Dual Chrome Dipsticks, JC Whitney; Stainless Steel fuel filter head bleeder screw; New WP and Hydroboost; Billet Aluminum Fuel Filter Housing Spacer; Professionally repaired instrument cluster (new steppers and lamps); Does anybody ever read this s%#t?; Injectors under warranty @ 70k; 2nd set DIY @ 155k

Last edited by stevewaclo; 10-17-2019 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Begin, not begins
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewaclo View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Another injector problem with LB7s is failure of the ball seat inside that becomes eroded and does not allow the return circuit ball to seal properly. When that happens, the main fuel pump (CP3) is unable to establish minimum rail pressure to wake up the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) and begins lighting up injectors. Diesel viscosity obviously changes with temp, and when it is cold, the thicker diesel can be properly controlled by the return circuit, but when the engine warms, the thinner diesel goes past the check ball and seat, minimum rail pressure is hard to establish and long crank times result.

Ironic that 8 tiny balls, not seating properly can bring down a 7,000# behemoth.

Use advanced search and look up return rate tests (maybe put in my user name as Ive written about this before) and you will find an easy way to check total return (fairly easy) or return at each bank (a bit more fussy).

Unfortunately, if it is the return circuit, no fix except injector R&R . (And yipe, only 35k on Bosch injectors).

May also be a temp sensitive fuel supply issue. Does the primer help on hot starts?

Keep in touch.
Ah I gotcha and I totally understand that. Yes that is ironic. Okay I will definitely do that. Alright I gotcha and yes I know it would be shocking to me too. I have not tried the primer yet, i will do that and report back to you. I sure will thank you!

2002 Chevy 2500HD Ext cab long bed 4x4 w/ 176K miles. Cold air, 4" straight pipe w/ axle dump, Fass 95, tow tune, 20% over Bosch injectors replaced 35K miles ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:08 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Unfortunately, sounds like time for some new sticks. I love my LB7 but next time I need injectors I'm going SAC style from Lincoln Diesel.
[email protected] likes this.

Justin 2001 LB7 Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4.
EFI Live by Idaho Rob, 530K+ and rolling, Undercover Bed Cover, Vortex spray in bed liner, Odyssey Extreme Batteries, Westin steps, Bilstein Shocks, Road Master Active Suspension, M/A Pump Rub Kit, PPE Trans Cooler, MBRP 5" Exhaust, Edge Insight CTS, K&N drop in filter, AirDog II 100 w/ CAT 751, LLY FF Housing w/ Racor, Running on LMM Blacked out Wheels & Michelin LTX M/S2 tires.
ADRENALINE TRUCK PERFORMANCE
Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Merchant Automotive
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:17 AM
DF Sponsors

What kind of miles are on the truck or injectors? Sounds like injector or cp3 pump that has high return rates.

Can you check your actual vs desired fuel rail pressure while cranking?

Looking for LB7 Injectors?
Check these prices out!

......... Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Phone: 920-361-7700

Click here For,
LB7 Injector Install Instructions
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What kind of miles are on the truck or injectors? Sounds like injector or cp3 pump that has high return rates.

Can you check your actual vs desired fuel rail pressure while cranking?
The truck has almost 177K but the injectors were just done 35k ago with brand new 20% overs from Bosch. I thought it might be the cp3 too. I have not yet but I can check that and I will asap. What do I need to disable so that it wont try and start?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:51 PM
DF Sponsors

Where were the injectors bought from?

Looking for LB7 Injectors?
Check these prices out!

......... Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Phone: 920-361-7700

Click here For,
LB7 Injector Install Instructions
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:01 PM

If its not losing prime I wouldnt suspect a leak in the system. Check the fuel line if theyre the original ones they could be kinked or collapsed @ almost 20 years old and cause issues when hot as the rubber hoses expands. Specifically the ones by the hydroboost and the one return line exiting the cooler that goes into the tank does a upward 180 degree turn.
Also not 100 percent certain but this could be the reason the replacement injectors dont last long as the raising pressure in return line causes the injectors to fire under more pressure.w hich would make sense that some people have luck going with sac 30+ injectors they are rated for more pressure. Plus the fuel lines themselves are dirty inside not just rusted but they get overlooked when replacing injectors. Doesnt hurt to give it a look.

2002 Silverado 3500 4x4 ALL STOCK NO MODS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in