How to clean lb7 injectors?? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

How to clean lb7 injectors??

I have a lb7 duramax smoking at idle. I noticed the x66p stuff is discontinued and is outrageous online. What is everyone using now days to clean their injectors??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:55 AM

Depending on how bad an injector or injectors are, cleaning will only temporarily fix the issue. The X66P stuff only helped me out for a month if that and the hazing was not even that bad compared to most. You can try pouring an entire bottom of diesel fuel additive to see if it will help. The only way I fixed mine was replacing the injectors.
stevewaclo likes this.

2004 LB7
S&S SAC00 Injectors
AirDog II-4G 100
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I’m sure they need replaced. I just wanted something to get me by for the next couple months before taking it in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I just bought the truck earlier this year and supposedly the injectors have been replaced before but I’m not sure when they was replaced.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:26 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltruck64 View Post
I have a lb7 duramax smoking at idle. I noticed the x66p stuff is discontinued and is outrageous online. What is everyone using now days to clean their injectors??
Cleaning is a bandaid at best, the injectors will need to be replaced if they are sticking. However i have limped a truck along for quite a while by running biodiesel + a good additive. that said, if your injectors are sticking open, you run the risk of engine damage from cylinder washing and oil dilution. In my case, the injectors were not sufficiently damaged to stick while running that fuel so it was fine, but if your still getting hazing / smoke the injectors are not going to come back in spec.

Quote:
I just bought the truck earlier this year and supposedly the injectors have been replaced before but I’m not sure when they was replaced.
Its a ~50K service item on the LB7 trucks on average. Some last longer, some less. I was around 160K on mine but i was among the very lucky, and i did nurse them along for a lot longer than i should have.

Edit: Since im sure this is going to because a highly subjective thread ill add this now. Do not run transmission fluid in the fuel, some people will tell you to do this because the detergent package in the ATF is supposed to clean the injectors out.... no, just no. ATF is not designed to burn, it is in fact specifically designed to resist burning, it should not be run in an engine for any reason. 2 stroke oil, while it does burn, has not been shown to significantly improve diesel lubricity in tests, and IIRC had a negative impact on some. the same goes for other oil additives, marvel mystery oil and the like. Dont go dumping oil in your fuel to make it slicker. use a good quality additive like optilube, diesel kleen, or stanadyne depending on availability.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 10-22-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
When you replace the injectors and see all the crap built up on the high pressure side you will see why no amount of cleaning will work. Just image search LB7 clogged injector. 4 out of 8 of mine were so clogged up I have no idea how it even still ran AND I had no symptoms of bad injectors except fuel in the oil. So I'm sure I had a cracked body or leaking returns also. If it were up to me I would go with S&S SACXX injectors the SAC design helps to reduce injector problems. You can get them from Lincoln. When I replaced my injectors I didn't even start the truck until I had my Kennedy lift pump and mega filter installed. After seeing all the junk inside the HP side there is no doubt in my mind that filtering (besides the OEM filter) will help extend injector life.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

If you are going to replace them anyway, try Hotshot's Secret Extreme Diesel. I was getting ready to replace my injectors on my LLY, had one that was getting a little knocky and put 8 oz of this stuff in on a fill and truck runs quieter, smoother, more power and it looks like my fuel economy has increased a little by the second fillup. Going on over 500 miles now. No, I don't sell this stuff but I was truly amazed. I have always used Howes, DK, Stanadyne, Lucas or Optilube at every fill and nothing has worked like this stuff. I think I bought it at Auto Zombies.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I might try the hot shots just to see if it will do anything. I gotta go on a small road trip this weekend. I’ve tried diesel Kleen And have used it since buying the truck and it still smokes at idle. It started smoking at idle a couple months ago but last time I took towed my boat with it I noticed it seemed worse.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Can’t really afford to replace them already but I guess I probably have no choice. I did find a place to do it for 3200 for Bosch remains so I might go with that. I’m gonna take it in a couple weeks and have them look at the balance rates and stuff
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I meant Bosch remans.. dang phone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode