Oil out of dipstick - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SilverGorillaLML

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Oil out of dipstick

Bought truck earlier this year its a 2001 gmc 2500hd LB7. Few weeks after buying it started blowing heavy white smoke from the pcv vent. I put seafoam in the fuel filter and double dosed my fuel with howes and it went away.

A couple of months later i was hit with mystery limp had a new pump put in didnt solve the problem, continued to have hard starts while warm. Changed the oil and had 20L of oil so i assume an injector is leaking.

Today, a month after changing the oil i have noticed oil leaking back out of the pcv vent tube and when i removed the dipstick oil splashed rapidly out of the tube. This never happened last time i had the pcv vent problem.

Any suggestions? It is very cold outside, could this lead to a problem?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:20 AM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Have you confirmed there are no restrictions in your crankcase vent. system? After doing that, I would run a compression check to rule out excess "blow-by" from possible failed rings, piston issues. etc.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:50 PM

Could it be your injector(s) are so bad that your crank case is filled to the teats with fuel? Or the return lines?

I would assume that a 50/50 mix of fuel and oil in your crank case has wreaked havoc on the internals unfortunately. Oil analysis stat!

Sent from my google machine

"Stinky Pig"
2003 Sierra 2500 Crew 4x4–Charcoal Grey Metallic
325k kms and counting
LLY Head swap
LBZ full intake w/MP
Flo-Pro Downpipe
4" Straight pipe
EGR delete
PCV Re-route
EFI Live (E. Stock/30HP/60HP Tow/high idle/No start)
Edge CTS2 with EGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:28 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Drip some oil off the dipstick onto a paper towel. It will form a halo if it has fuel in it. If it has major blow by out the dip stick or oil fill tube next step is a compression check.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpeg-9.jpg (5.5 KB, 49 views)
407driver likes this.

Race/Pulling truck:2012 CumminGs/Built 6.8L/Big air/Big fuel/48RE Swap/PCS 2000/B&M Gated shifter
Kid hauler: 08 Lincoln navigator
Work/dd: 02 4.3 RCLB Silverado
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 03:21 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Have you checked the PCV system? There should be a servicable PCV valve next to the alternator but I'm not real familiar with the gen 1 Duramaxes. IIRC there are PCV check valves on the valve covers also. If previous owner did a PCV reroute, there could be a clogged/pinched, ice block tube or plugged catch can. Worth taking a look....

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 08:02 PM

I would say injectors, dont know what else would cause it to make oil unless the fuel return line is leaking.

2019 Expedition
2005 C6
2003 Silverado LB7
1948 Jeep
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 10:54 PM

pretty good video on an injector return leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode