Oil recommendations - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 03:51 PM

Iíve been happy with Rotella T5 15-40. If you can get T6 for just a bit more, go ahead. I change oil often enough (due to lots of dusty/dirty conditions, amount of start/stop cycles, etc.) that I go with T5, as T6 is always more $$$ out here

Hope this helps.
Ely

02 2500HD ECLB LB7, LS, Summit White, 284,xxx mi, Basically Stock, Not gonna get too crazy with it.
LDS Reman Injectors, CAT Adapter, and FASS 95 at 269,xxx Miles
(Slow) Work In Progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 04:06 PM

T6 the cost difference especially if you shop around for sales is not much when your servicing a $50K piece of equipment.

But the T5 and T4 are quality products. none of them would hurt my feelings using regularly

my .02 good luck

2011 Stock
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 05:15 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaf2021 View Post
Any advantages going to a synthetic oil? Reading about it says improved power better fuel mileage? Is it safe going from Rotella 15w40 conventional oil to synthetic??

There is very little different in terms of performance. The synthetic lasts a little longer, but realistically unless your removing soot from the oil, your change interval will be before either oil package is depleted. Synthetic has better cold start characteristics so in cold climates its more free flowing. Thats about it. Its safe to go from one to the other back to the first and so on if you like. Some people run synthetic in the winter and conventional in the summer. Basically run whatever makes you happy. For me, thats dino oil every 4K ish.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
There is very little different in terms of performance. The synthetic lasts a little longer, but realistically unless your removing soot from the oil, your change interval will be before either oil package is depleted. Synthetic has better cold start characteristics so in cold climates its more free flowing. Thats about it. Its safe to go from one to the other back to the first and so on if you like. Some people run synthetic in the winter and conventional in the summer. Basically run whatever makes you happy. For me, thats dino oil every 4K ish.
Agree and like Bob said, if you're going to go twice as long (15k-20k) between changes, go synthetic. After all the research I did before making my decision, I decided to go with regular 15w-40 and change it every 5k or so. Filtration is just as or maybe more important than the oil you use. Use good efficiency filters and change them and the oil often!

Good Luck in your decision!

2008 GMC Sierra LMM CCSB LTZ
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 06:39 AM

I am going to start off by saying i am not an oil expert. I run Amsoil 5W-40 and have been in my duramax since about 1000 miles. The main reason i went to full synthetic is to get the 5W-40 rating as i live in a climate where one day it could be 30 above and the next it could be -10 and I only put enough miles on my pickup to change oil once per year. The ability to have an oil that allows for better cold starts is why i went the synthetic route. I did do an experiment last year and put Amsoil 15W-40 in just to see if i could tell a noticeable difference in cold starts as well as to see if these two maintained similar oil pressure at operating temp. I did find there was a pretty considerable difference in the cranking speed but the pressure at operating temp was the same, as to be expected.

I guess IMO if you live in a climate where you have both cold and hot extremes i prefer to run a synthetic for the 5W-40 rating, or if you want to extend you oil service intervals go synthetic.
walleyerod likes this.

2015 Chevy LML 2500HD LTZ CC/LB
14" Duraflap Mudflaps
ICI SS Running Boards
Bushwacker OE Fender Flares
Northland Aluminum Front Bumper
EDGE CTS2/EGT Probe
MBRP Downpipe /5" Flo Pro Exhaust
PPEI ECM/TCM Tunes
Airdog 4g 165 Lift Pump
Deviant EGR Plates/Merchant Auto PCV Reroute
295/55R20 Toyo MT's on Stock Rims/Height
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 Diesel View Post
I am going to start off by saying i am not an oil expert. I run Amsoil 5W-40 and have been in my duramax since about 1000 miles. The main reason i went to full synthetic is to get the 5W-40 rating as i live in a climate where one day it could be 30 above and the next it could be -10 and I only put enough miles on my pickup to change oil once per year. The ability to have an oil that allows for better cold starts is why i went the synthetic route. I did do an experiment last year and put Amsoil 15W-40 in just to see if i could tell a noticeable difference in cold starts as well as to see if these two maintained similar oil pressure at operating temp. I did find there was a pretty considerable difference in the cranking speed but the pressure at operating temp was the same, as to be expected.

I guess IMO if you live in a climate where you have both cold and hot extremes i prefer to run a synthetic for the 5W-40 rating, or if you want to extend you oil service intervals go synthetic.
I just switched to 15w-40 Amsoil AME in my powerstroke and will be switching the Duramax on its next change. I noticed the powerstroke ran much more quiet with the Amsoil.

2003 Silverado 155K. S&S stock SAC injectors, Kennedy dual lift with mega filter, aFe intake, the rest is bone stock.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:16 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

$120 for 4 Gallons is $30 a gallon, not a bad price

Rebate brings it down to $20.25 a gallon

Unbeatable.......
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean E View Post
https://www.cenex.com/about/cenex-in...gine-oil-myths

Read myth #3 and educate yourself. D
Great info, thanks for the link!

2004 Chevy 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 213,XXX miles, Glow shift Pillar Gauges Pyrometer, Boost gauge, PPE boost valve, PPE High Idle switch, Merch Auto welded water pump, PPE coolant hoses, Mishimoto thermostats, 4"RCD LIFT, 35" TOYO A/T XtremeII, Bilstein 5100's, 4" Magna Flow Cat Back, MBRP CAI, Stage III trans, PPE Stage 3 Tie Rods, Sinister coolant filter kit, Powerstop Brake kit F&R, Firestone bags, Accuair on board compressor w/ 3 gallon tank. #whitetrucksmatter

1967 Camaro "Drive it like you stole it".
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 03:54 PM

Simply put, if you use synthetic, then stick to their recommended oil change intervals. Otherwise, you are wasting money if you change your oil sooner as with the recommendations of conventional oil. Synthetics give you the ability to extend oil change time frames. Both conventional and synthetic oils today provide good protection. One simply can go longer oil change intervals.

2003 2500HD 6.6 duramax (LB7) all stock (no mods)
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 05:56 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Tests clearly show synthetic oil to be far superior to mineral based. One big advantage is that you can get 5w-40 syn oil and only 15w-40 mineral so in cold weather and cold starts you will see a big difference. Oils are not developed by oil companies, but by speciality companies that sell additive packages to Shell for mfg of their oil. I was visiting the largest of these several years back and they have extensive dyno cells, chem labs, etc and do a lot of back to back testing. So I asked which is the best diesel oil, he went and asked one of the gurus and Shell Rotella was the answer by far. I may be dumb but not stupid I just use Rotella T6 5w-40 now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode