fuel dryer - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By stevewaclo
  • 1 Post By Earnhardtfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

fuel dryer

Is it safe to add a bottle of Heat to fuel tank on my 04 LB7 ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:18 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Location: Carson City, NV Proud Participant, Federal Witness Protection Program
Hello Articrick,

From your screen name Iím guessing you live in Tahiti or whereabouts.

I looked up Heet and it appears to be a gasoline antifreeze that combines methanol with water in your tank that then sinks to the bottom and hopefully bothers no one.

Your concern is probably water in fuel from sketchy suppliers and in fact, if water reaches our injectors, it acts like an effective plasma cutter, so you ask a good question.

Fortunately, GM engineers anticipated the problem and if you use AC Delco, coalescing filters in an OEM fuel supply system, water will be removed from fuel by the filter and may later be drained from the bottom of the filter using the provided valve. There is also a float switch connected to the separator for a warning light, but consensus here seems to be if that light comes on, it may be too late and many owners, especially those with lift pumps or filters from other sources (Cat comes to mind) donít worry about water in their fuel.

Frankly, I donít think thatís prudent and I retain the OEM system, although a cracked filter head a few years back prompted purchase of the much less $$$ LLY head.

Many years ago, in the mountains of Central PA, my 1980 Audi diesel would not start at sub-zero temps and with the help of a friendly service tech, I learned there was a metal screen atop the tank which became cold enough to collect and freeze water. Pulled the back seat, found the screen and problem solved. Mechanical Bosch injection in those days @ maybe 5,000 psi (?).

Bottom line, if you have an OEM fuel system, pass on Heet, watch your source of fuel (no crank tanks on pickups!) and check the water drain valve regularly.
Earnhardtfan likes this.

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE ExtCab CA Emissions; 155k; Allison 1000 w/Transynd X2 Flush & Fill; 8' bed; AFE/CAI; MBRP 4" Exhaust; Side Tint, 33% VLT, rear, Limo; Smittybilt Stainless Side Nerf Bars; Sprayed-in Bed Liner; MadJack Fuel Filter Access Door; Regular Used Oil Analysis (latest available on request), Blackstone Labs; EGT/Boost Gauges; Dual Chrome Dipsticks, JC Whitney; Stainless Steel fuel filter head bleeder screw; New WP and Hydroboost; Billet Aluminum Fuel Filter Housing Spacer; Professionally repaired instrument cluster (new steppers and lamps); Does anybody ever read this s%#t?; Injectors under warranty @ 70k; 2nd set DIY @ 155k
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 03:50 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
I would not. You can add something like Winter Diesel Kleen or another additive with anti-gel in it, but that's about it.
Jwaggonersr likes this.

Justin 2001 LB7 Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4.
EFI Live by Idaho Rob, 536K+ and rolling, Undercover Bed Cover, Vortex spray in bed liner, Odyssey Extreme Batteries, Westin steps, Bilstein Shocks, Road Master Active Suspension, M/A Pump Rub Kit, PPE Trans Cooler, MBRP 5" Exhaust, Edge Insight CTS, K&N drop in filter, AirDog II 100 w/ CAT 751, LLY FF Housing w/ Racor, Running on LMM Blacked out Wheels & Michelin LTX M/S2 tires.
ADRENALINE TRUCK PERFORMANCE
Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Merchant Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 09:20 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
In winter months I've been known to add a pint Kerosene to a keep from cold weather gel. As a additive I use lucas, not that I think there the best but can be found locally here. I am a firm believer in using some sort of fuel lubricant though.

2003 2500HD LB7,Fass Titanium.
Leveled with Zone Offroad C32N 3" Adventure Series (UCA) Lift System With Black Nitro Shocks.
Magnaflo 5" Welded. Fleece Airhorn.K&N with stock airbox.
Center-Lok Overhead 2 Gun Rack. Rear window 2 Gun rack.
B&W Goose Neck Hitch. Ranch hand Brush guard.
Behind the rear seat 2 gun rack. (Yes I have lots of guns), Fass Filter delete under the hood.
Nerf Bars. PPE Boost Valve.
Stock wheels with 265/75R16 (soon to be replaced)!
Wheels ordered!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 08:14 PM

I would change the fuel filter and keep it stock unless you have a lift pump with dual filters then change them. Cheap Insurance.

2003 Silverado Fass 165, 45% over injectors, Banks big head, Banks 6 gun, Banks Exhaust and filter. Bed Carpet, Pace Edwards electric Tonneau Cover. 122000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode