01 LB7 Big coolant leak - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By DMAXfirefighter
  • 1 Post By Hook'em_Horns!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

01 LB7 Big coolant leak

Need help big time. Walked out to my truck this morning to find that it had leaked a sizable puddle of coolant out overnight (puddle was about 1ft by 2ft). Upon inspecting it closer I found that the leak was coming from the driver side rear of the engine, and collecting on the front driveshaft u-joint before dropping down. Apart from the very bottom of the oil cooler, it is not wet at all so I feel confident enough to rule that out as a problem. I’ve been having to refill coolant every 2-3 weeks or so but I had never seen a leak until this morning. Leak looks like it may be coming from above the oil cooler/ up pipe area somewhere, but there is no tell-tale sign other than the driver side of the bell housing dripping with coolant from top to bottom and the u joint and surrounding area being coated with coolant. Need help asap, this is my only vehicle to and from work/school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:23 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Location: Carson City, NV Proud Participant, Federal Witness Protection Program
Well, Iím guessing things have not gotten better since you posted, so heres a suggestion.

At the risk of insulting your intelligence, step one has got to be finding the source and as you may know, there are chemical kits that allow you to add a product to your coolant that will fluoresce under UV light. I believe most parts stores have turn-key items available.

Report back after you discover where coolant is coming from and Iím sure others will chip in with better guidance.

Best

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE ExtCab CA Emissions; 155k; Allison 1000 w/Transynd X2 Flush & Fill; 8' bed; AFE/CAI; MBRP 4" Exhaust; Side Tint, 33% VLT, rear, Limo; Smittybilt Stainless Side Nerf Bars; Sprayed-in Bed Liner; MadJack Fuel Filter Access Door; Regular Used Oil Analysis (latest available on request), Blackstone Labs; EGT/Boost Gauges; Dual Chrome Dipsticks, JC Whitney; Stainless Steel fuel filter head bleeder screw; New WP and Hydroboost; Billet Aluminum Fuel Filter Housing Spacer; Professionally repaired instrument cluster (new steppers and lamps); Does anybody ever read this s%#t?; Injectors under warranty @ 70k; 2nd set DIY @ 155k
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:36 AM
Former GM Tech and parts

Garage
@houghfarmer could it be a turbo coolant hose from the valley that was seeping and burning off before, but now is a bigger leak and running out of the valley? If its not coming out of the valley, but is above the oil cooler, then I would suspect head gasket or one of the plugs on the back of the cylinder head. There isn't really much else on the drivers side rear that it could be.

If it was on the passenger side, I would tell you to look at the block off plate on the rear housing, but that definitely shows up on the passenger side, not the drivers side
mray and BOWTIE67 like this.

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:41 AM

A very likely source is the plastic quick connectors for your heater core. They are a known issue.

Should this be the issue the fix is to simply remove them and attach new hoses directly to the nipples sticking into the engine compartment through the firewall.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:44 AM

Heater core hose leaks are usually on the passenger side.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Heater core hose leaks are usually on the passenger side.
As I have said earlier Im not all that familiar with the vans, but I think the connections to the core itself are in front of the firewall, like the trucks. So a hose leak should manifest itself under the hood. The core is inside so it seems to me that would be a more likely culprit.

In either case, getting to the core will most likely disclose where the leak is coming from.

FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:15 AM

Read the original post, not a van. The heater core on my 01 is on the passenger side and I don't think that the leak the OP is describing is from the heater core. Just putting the additional info out there.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:49 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Tool borrow program at most parts places....I would obtain a pressure test kit and use that....before adding something to the coolant.

As DMAXff mentioned, most leaks on the Driver's side stem from a short hose failure up top, down below the main harness connection, a coolant return line from the Turbo.
407driver likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Read the original post, not a van. The heater core on my 01 is on the passenger side and I don't think that the leak the OP is describing is from the heater core. Just putting the additional info out there.
I goofed, thought this was a different thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode