04 duramax injector misfire - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jake111

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

04 duramax injector misfire

Hi guys my duramax is misfiring sometimes. Showing injector circuit open cylinder 1 , 4, 6, 7 as well as fuel injector group A supply voltage circuit open. Im assuming this has to do with the firing pattern and would like to know what connector is and location of it. As it must be causing the problem. I would really appreciate the help as its my daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:54 PM
Former GM Tech and parts

Garage
Check the connectors on the ficm, and the connectors near the valve covers for good connections and that no pins have gotten bent or pushed out. Also check the wiring for rubs next to the alternator. Has it been apart recently or did this start as you were just driving down the road?

I put injectors in a truck a few weeks ago and when I started it I knew immediately there was a problem. It was running in what we call 'Kubota mode' because it had a dead injector. Codes showed it was number six injector besides the codes like yours. You may simply have an injector that has no continuity through the solenoid or possibly a ficm issue.

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it just started while driving one day and is intermittent. Thats hilarious that you call it kubota mode, when it happend i was like what the hell it sounds like a f**kin 3 cylinder kubota haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 11:20 PM

If you have a 2004.5 LLY, then it is almost certainly an injector connector. You didn't list the codes, but my crystal ball says P0207 and P2146. P0207 says that #7 is the culprit. It's almost always #2 or #7.

It seems that GM wanted to get your attention if there was a problem with one cylinder. I mean, it would probably still run pretty darn good on 7 cylinders. So if 1 goes, they shut down 4.

For me, it was #2 (P0202/P2149). You can search for "ice pick" to get an idea of the problem, and one solution. I stuffed aluminum foil in the connector when I was miles from nowhere. It would go 35 miles and happen again. More aluminum foil and it got me somewhere. Since then, I bought a bunch of cheap injector connectors from Amazon (4 for about $16), soldered a 2-way connector on the harness, soldered the other half of the 2-way connector on a new injector connector. I only did it for #2 and #7. I have lots of spare injector connectors with 2-way connectors. The idea is if a failure occurs on the road, I can just pop on another connector. It's been over 2 years and the cheap injector connectors have worked perfectly.
ALLY Cat likes this.

2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. Cab, Long Bed
engineer837 aux rad, TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in