Hydro boost replacement causes whistle - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nitro Junkie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hydro boost replacement causes whistle

I replaced the the hydro boost in my 04 LB7 with 213,XXX miles. Now when i turn the wheel to or from lock. I get a single high pitched whistle. I replaced the hydro boost because it was leaking hydraulic fluid between the master and booster itself. What would cause the whistle? I cannot figure this out?

2004 Chevy 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 213,XXX miles, Glow shift Pillar Gauges Pyrometer, Boost gauge, PPE boost valve, PPE High Idle switch, Merch Auto welded water pump, PPE coolant hoses, Mishimoto thermostats, 4"RCD LIFT, 35" TOYO A/T XtremeII, Bilstein 5100's, 4" Magna Flow Cat Back, MBRP CAI, Stage III trans, PPE Stage 3 Tie Rods, Sinister coolant filter kit, Powerstop Brake kit F&R, Firestone bags, Accuair on board compressor w/ 3 gallon tank. #whitetrucksmatter

1967 Camaro "Drive it like you stole it".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:00 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Could be the Powe Steering pump cavitating............It is a sign the pump needs replaced.

When you replace it, Id change ALL the lines between the pump, Hydroboost, steering knuckle and the pump itself.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Could be the Powe Steering pump cavitating............It is a sign the pump needs replaced.

When you replace it, Id change ALL the lines between the pump, Hydroboost, steering knuckle and the pump itself.
Cool, The knuckle has been done and the high pressure steering hose. There is only one high pressure hose and then the other one is a return correct?

2004 Chevy 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 213,XXX miles, Glow shift Pillar Gauges Pyrometer, Boost gauge, PPE boost valve, PPE High Idle switch, Merch Auto welded water pump, PPE coolant hoses, Mishimoto thermostats, 4"RCD LIFT, 35" TOYO A/T XtremeII, Bilstein 5100's, 4" Magna Flow Cat Back, MBRP CAI, Stage III trans, PPE Stage 3 Tie Rods, Sinister coolant filter kit, Powerstop Brake kit F&R, Firestone bags, Accuair on board compressor w/ 3 gallon tank. #whitetrucksmatter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWTIE67 View Post
Cool, The knuckle has been done and the high pressure steering hose. There is only one high pressure hose and then the other one is a return correct?
If you're going to do them, do them all. 3 pressure and 1 return. The low pressure return is the one with a hose clamp on one end. The rest are all pressure.

I just did mine and added a power steering cooler. I cut off the hard end of the return and connected the hose from the cooler to it. I didn't even need the new return hose at all.

Bolts into the factory location. Super easy, looks O.E. but you need an extra M6x1.0x25 bolt and washer for the bottom hole. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:42 PM

The cooler costs about the same as the return hose so it's a free upgrade. I used the Dorman because I like drop-in parts that look like O.E. You can do it for less if you don't mind a little extra work. https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/d...id-cooler.html
jwcgmc1985 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Junkie View Post
The cooler costs about the same as the return hose so it's a free upgrade. I used the Dorman because I like drop-in parts that look like O.E. You can do it for less if you don't mind a little extra work. https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/d...id-cooler.html
I will defiantly look into that as soon as i change the pump. The reason i was asking about HP lines and return. I just replaced a HP line a few months ago so i didnt want to replace it again but I have no idea looking at them online as to which one it was It was a factory replacement i got from a friend that sold his truck and didnt use it so no since in replacing it.

I fully agree Dorman products are good repops.

Im saving up. Shes puffing white smoke every once in a while. (injectors) So i am saving my money, I will be doing it myself along with Fass Fuel or Air Dog and a couple other things while im in there.

I am going to keep this truck as long as I can. At this point I almost refuse to conform to the EPA with this DEF B.S. I have done a lot of work (replacement parts) to keep her going she is still strong. I live in SoCal and own property in Idaho. and i drive her there every summer.

Last edited by BOWTIE67; 01-23-2020 at 03:05 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWTIE67 View Post
I will defiantly look into that as soon as i change the pump. The reason i was asking about HP lines and return. I just replaced a HP line a few months ago so i didnt want to replace it again but I have no idea looking at them online as to which one it was It was a factory replacement i got from a friend that sold his truck and didnt use it so no since in replacing it.

I fully agree Dorman products are good repops.

Im saving up. Shes puffing white smoke every once in a while. (injectors) So i am saving my money, I will be doing it myself along with Fass Fuel or Air Dog and a couple other things while im in there.

I am going to keep this truck as long as I can. At this point I almost refuse to conform to the EPA with this DEF B.S. I have done a lot of work (replacement parts) to keep her going she is still strong. I live in SoCal and own property in Idaho. and i drive her there every summer.
They all look very different. Here's the exploded view so you can see what you need.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...and-hoses-scat
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:16 PM

8 is the one you won't need if you do the cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode