Do I need a lift pump? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Question Do I need a lift pump?

I've got a '02 LB7 that is bone stock, except that I converted over to the Caterpillar fuel filter last year at about this time. The only issue I've noted so far is that I'm occasionally getting a DTC that's described as something like "low power enrichment fuel pressure" or something like that... I just went out to the truck to see if the code has returned, but it has not at this time, and I didn't write the number down the last time. Any ideas on this?

Kinda thinking about putting a tuner on it for just a little bit more power for towing, but want to keep it reliable, absolutely nothing crazy. Looking at Banks EconoMind, any input?

Thanks,

bd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 04:25 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

With a stock tune you shouldnt need a lift pump. But if you start turning up the HP you probably should get one to keep the lb7 injectors and pump happy. They tend to be sensitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:22 PM

I would get a lift pump regardless for the duramax trucks. Takes some of the load off of the CP3 so its not having the job of supplying the motor with fuel along with pullin diesel from the tank, plus the axtra filtration is always a bonus. Also, since you have switched to the CAT filter you have no filter to separate the water like the OEM did. Only reason i would run a CAT is if i had a lift pump that separated the water. Right now you have no prevention for water in the fuel.
Earnhardtfan, mray and 1TRIKHD like this.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 07:04 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by denarli6.6 View Post
I would get a lift pump regardless for the duramax trucks. Takes some of the load off of the CP3 so its not having the job of supplying the motor with fuel along with pullin diesel from the tank, plus the axtra filtration is always a bonus. Also, since you have switched to the CAT filter you have no filter to separate the water like the OEM did. Only reason i would run a CAT is if i had a lift pump that separated the water. Right now you have no prevention for water in the fuel.
I agree and another thing to add is a lift pump will eliminate alot of the air in the fuel which can be hard on the injectors over time.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
denarli6.6 likes this.

2006 Victory Red CCLB LT3 LBZ
Tuned by Blake Crenshaw
SDP Fully Built Trans w/ Billet Goerend G Converter
S472 SX-E.87/1.0ar sitting on a Wagler street intake W/ a twisted pedestal
Stock Sticks
Special thanks to Scott with Screaming Diesel Performance
Blake with Unleashed Duramax tuning
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Can you steer me in some direction on what pump I would need. Like I said, I'm not trying to make 1100 horsepower or anything like that, just some positive pressure to push fuel through the cat filter so that the low pressure pump on the CP3 isn't working so hard.

Also, any thoughts on the Banks tuners, or any others that you would recommend... this is a towing truck, so needs to stay reliable. As you probably guessed, not too up to speed on the high performance world.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 09:47 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
I put a FASS Titanium signature on mine but there are plenty of good cheaper options. I wanted the extra filters though. I also removed the filter under the hood and used a Fass filter delete. I drive a 03. Right off I noticed better idle and better throttle response, nothing on fuel economy though. I would not do the sump kit unless your fuel tank has the gauge issue's some have towards the empty mark. I simply hate the spot where the stock filter was. For plug and play the though The Fass was awesome and easy to put on. The Tuner Im looking at is a Edge, but like you I dont want to blow my truck up or Head gaskets so I would only use the economy and towing tune. I do like the thought of being able to see the injector tables, and changing the ratio for tires. Its a tool bottom line I guess. One thing i am doing really soon is Im going to make a protection plate for the fuel pump do to being so exposed to the rear fender wheel and the ground. Right now the filters are wrapped with a old mudflap to protect them from flying rocks that the rear left tire picks up.

2003 2500HD LB7
Fass Titanium
Leveled with Zone Offroad C32N 3" Adventure Series (UCA) Lift System With Black Nitro Shocks
Stock wheels with 265/75R16 (soon to be replaced)!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwaggonersr View Post
I put a FASS Titanium signature on mine but there are plenty of good cheaper options. I wanted the extra filters though. I also removed the filter under the hood and used a Fass filter delete. I drive a 03. Right off I noticed better idle and better throttle response, nothing on fuel economy though. I would not do the sump kit unless your fuel tank has the gauge issue's some have towards the empty mark. I simply hate the spot where the stock filter was. For plug and play the though The Fass was awesome and easy to put on. The Tuner Im looking at is a Edge, but like you I dont want to blow my truck up or Head gaskets so I would only use the economy and towing tune. I do like the thought of being able to see the injector tables, and changing the ratio for tires. Its a tool bottom line I guess. One thing i am doing really soon is Im going to make a protection plate for the fuel pump do to being so exposed to the rear fender wheel and the ground. Right now the filters are wrapped with a old mudflap to protect them from flying rocks that the rear left tire picks up.
Thanks!

I bought my '02 used back in 2012, and I think the previous owner dumped it because of the injectors... the day after I brought it home I discovered that the crankcase was full of diesel fuel (it wasn't the day before when I bought it...) you probably know the rest of the story from there...

Anyway, the truck already had an aftermarket fuel tank on it when I bought it, it is made of steel, and as best I can tell, it holds about 39-40 gallons. I have no idea what brand it is, I haven't found any markings on it... I guess I should get under there and look a little harder, maybe I can find something. What is the sump kit? So far, no issues with the guage.

Fass... I'll have to do some research on that...

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax, CrewCab 6.5' short bed, Allison 1000

Mods:

Unknown aftermarket steel fuel tank approx 39-40 gallons
New injectors in 2012 @ 122K
Caterpillar fuel filter
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 10:53 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Sump kit changes the fuel draw point....mainly to overcome effects from a fire hydrant returning too much fuel and messing with the stock draw point at lower tank levels.

Many times with installing a LP, the initial improvements felt afterwards are a result of the install (leaking parts removed), and/or the added positive pressure helps with various weak flex lines' bends that suck flat under vacuum and age.

When whatever fuel supply code goes away, the LP is proclaimed the solution...the same success results could've been resolved by finding the leaks/crimps/collapsed bends and replacing.

Which could prove more difficult to find and rule out, than the LP install itself.

Extra filtration;
1-14 thread filter bases are $25-$30 ea (in either top or side mount versions). A single FWS aux filter added pre-LP will greatly extend the life of the stock filter up front, by removing all the big particulates 1st and the added positive pressure will fully utilize the media of the stock filter (vacuum only, leaves unused voids in the media).

Also much easier to access the valve and drain any water collected.

If the additional primary and secondary filters @ the LP are doing their job, you should never have to change the stock filter again....keeping it as a backup for water protection.
Rated @ 50gph under vacuum (more with psi), it's not much of a restriction, as you'll never come close to burning 10gph.

After I swap out the 1st two filters, I check the vacuum pull (pump off) at the stock filter head (via an adapter at the bleed port) for any restriction that might be at that tertiary filter, and leave it be if it's not.

My current Racor filter installed there has had over 8k gallons of fuel ran thru it so far, still tests free and clear.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 01-26-2020 at 10:56 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 10:55 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Do you NEED a Lift Pump...NO

Will it help prevent air in the lines caused by leaking braided fuel lines.....YES

That said, you Do NEED either the LP or to reinstall the factory fuel filter. Right now you have NO water separator to protect your engine from a bad load of diesel. Water in the fuel can destroy your engine.
AlisoBob and justapilgrim like this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Do you NEED a Lift Pump...NO

Will it help prevent air in the lines caused by leaking braided fuel lines.....YES

That said, you Do NEED either the LP or to reinstall the factory fuel filter. Right now you have NO water separator to protect your engine from a bad load of diesel. Water in the fuel can destroy your engine.
Thanks for the info guys! I'll check into all this stuff and get myself up to speed.

As far as water in the fuel, I can tell you that I'm not too concerned about that... I'm 50 years old, and I've been around diesel engines and tractors and trucks and filters with water separators ever since I was old and tall enough to step on a clutch, and I've been around in-ground and above ground fuel storage tanks (diesel and jet fuel and gasoline) and the fuel supply chain from pipeline to service pump for many, many years... and I can tell you from near lifelong experience, that the chances of getting water in your diesel fuel from the filling station are almost nil, especially if you get your diesel fuel from a station that does a good amount of regular business. There are water detection systems in place in the storage tanks that will shut down the filling station pumps long before there is ever enough water in the bottom of those storage tanks to get picked up by the suction lines for the pumps. So, I don't believe there is any need worry yourselves too much about water in fuel... if you ever do happen to get water in your fuel, it is much more likely to be a problem with the individual piece of equipment, and not the fuel supply. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but in my experience, it is EXTREMELY unlikely. Frankly, I'd be much more concerned about bacterial growth in the fuel system, than water.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax, CrewCab 6.5' short bed, Allison 1000

Mods:

Unknown aftermarket steel fuel tank approx 39-40 gallons
New injectors in 2012 @ 122K
Caterpillar fuel filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode