Help Dealing with Dealer on LB7 Injector FSB Replacement - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Help Dealing with Dealer on LB7 Injector FSB Replacement

Need help on responding to the following e-mails from my dealer - emphasis on last e-mail posted below with test data (which is greek to me). Dropped off my 2004 GMC Duramax last Friday under assumption they would get to it early this week. Got an e-mail bright and early today: Two bad injectors - does not fall under FSB. WANT TO MAKE sure I'm not being fed a line of bull before I go any further (meaning I'll replace all 8 myself). As I'm sure everyone can relate - this is not a financially fun thing to learn about...

This morning: "You have 2 injectors that are bad. However they do not fall under the special coverage for fuel return rate failure. One injector is dumping to much Fuel the other is not enough. The 2 injectors are also on opposite banks. To replace just the 2 injectors will cost 2630 plus tax and shop . Most of the Repair is labor and therefore I would advise replacing all injectors there would be no additional labor to do the injectors at the same time . I also
Advise replacing all the injectors because in our experience once one injector fails it not uncommon for additional injectors to fail. The expense of replace
Injectors over multiple visits exceeds the expense of replacing them all at once. The cost to replace all of them will be 4900 plus tax and shop. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks"

My response: "Thanks. Can you give me the results on the fuel return tests for all 8 - am somewhat surprised that they all passed? I'll get back to you tomorrow - highly likely that if the tests on all 8 aren't covered by the FSB I'll do the injectors myself. Don't have a weekend to spare - but shop cost is half of an engagement ring, and that's the priority right now."

Last response from Dealer: "Bill the test perform is desired fuel rail pressure vs actual and the balancing rate.
Desired pressure vs actual is as follows
60.0MPa 59.2
50.0 50.6
70.0 70.9
80.0 82.6
90.0 90.4
100.0 101.5
110.0 110.00
120.0 120.1
130.0 131.2
140.0 140.1
160.0 159.3

BALANCE RATES ARE AS FOLLOWS
CYL1 1.5MM CYL2 -5.3MM
3 2.4 4 -0.4
5 5.5 6 1.3
7 -2.7 8 -2.5

CYLINDERS 2 & 5 ARE THE ISSUE"

I've had pretty mixed luck with local dealers - and tried one my Pop had better luck with. Seem like nice folks - but I don't have enough knowledge about testing injectors to know if they've done this correctly.

Thanks in advance. Bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Also - I'm still 3 months shy of 7 years, and only have about 107,000 miles.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Banned

The dealer is correct, the injectors have to be leaking fuel bad enough that the CP3 (High pressure Fuel Pump) cannot keep the rail pressure up.

The desired vs. actual fuel rail pressure test results that they are showing above look really good, therefor it has passed the test even though the injector balance rates on cylinders 2, and 5 are out of spec.

I have dealt with the same issue on both LB7's that I have owned, and had to replace the injectors on both of them myself because they passed the FRP test, just like yours.

You could do what I did and wait until the last day of the warranty to take the truck in, hoping they will be bad enough by then to fail the test, but you'll probably waste another $100 on testing just to find that they still are not covered.

I hate to tell you the bad news, but I believe you will not get anywhere trying to get them covered by GM.

Good Luck! - Titus

Last edited by JoeSmith21; 02-07-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Thanks Joe. Always better to have something confirmed independently - even if it is bad news.

Next up - sourcing a decent price from a reputable vendor for some Bosch replacements....will probably tear it down towards the end of the month.

Any other viewpoints/advice much appreciated.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned

No problem.

If you are planning to change them yourself here is a really detailed write up on it: Diesel Place

It looks really hard, but is not that bad when you actually start doing the work.

It should not take more than a couple days for a first timer.

Last edited by JoeSmith21; 02-07-2011 at 12:54 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

dmaxstore has a pretty decent price on injectors. they are a vendor on here.

http://dmaxstore.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=390

2001 CCSB

built trans . S464 . AD2 165 . 7" stack
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Joe. Yup, read that last night - and it sorta settled my worries about doing it myself. My Pop's a mechanic - so forwarded him the thread and he's printed it off and looking through to make sure we have all the tools. Prefer his garage to mine anyways ;-)

Thanks for the dmax store reference - noticed that for the fuel filter head rebuild, but forgot to check on the injectors. Other than avoiding the Pensacola rebuilds - had noticed the Lincoln deal at $1,775, but always prefer to use a vendor that a large group of folks can vouch for - and will pay for quality, versus trying to squeeze a few dimes out of what is already a pricey repair.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 02:17 PM

Look for a dealer that gets their reman's directly from Bosch. Ask. Don't assume.

2002 Pewter CCLB - 4x4 - LB7 - AirDog II - Rancho 9000's - New injectors at 147k - Access Tonneau - B&W Turn-over ball - ATS Stage I Transmission - ATS 5 Star Torque Converter - ATS Pump Rub Kit - ATS E-Power - New Rear Transfer Case Half (pump rub hole) - Edge Insight CS
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned

I know Lincoln does a lot more on Dieselplace than on here.

The dmax store is known a lot more on the DF and has a lot of happy customers.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:36 PM

I am not clear what the tolerances are on the fuel rail pressure test to know if any are bad. Can somebody advise?

Tim
2002 stock LB7
Extended cab 75K as of 1/14/13
Oak Harbor, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode