Oil everywhere but dipstick reads full - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Oil everywhere but dipstick reads full

I’m lost. I’ve got a 2004 Duramax in a 2500HD Silverado with 208K.

It has shown these symptoms before but they went away after an oil flush. They are back again.

Here are the symptoms.

Oils dipstick shows full.

Oil is yellow. I’ve been told it’s because it’s Rotella brand 😐

Oil all over the under carriage and on anything I tow. Seems to be coming from an overflow tube on the front of the block. This oil is normal light brown. 😐

Low oil presser bell goes off after slowing down from highway driving (sustained above about ~1800 RPM)

Typical in town driving does not cause a low oil bell.

Nothing special about the motor except an Edge Programmer that usually stays on level 1.

Injectors changed about 30K ago.

Drive it from WA state to FL this winter. All was ok then.

I just made a round trip from FL to Indiana and back. These symptoms started up on the return side of the trip.

Oil is 15-40 Synthetic Rotella
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:48 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroi View Post
Iím lost. Iíve got a 2004 Duramax in a 2500HD Silverado with 208K.

It has shown these symptoms before but they went away after an oil flush. They are back again.

Here are the symptoms.

Oil is yellow. Iíve been told itís because itís Rotella brand 😐

Oil all over the under carriage and on anything I tow. Seems to be coming from an overflow tube on the front of the block. This oil is normal light brown. 😐

Low oil presser bell goes off after slowing down from highway driving (sustained above about ~1800 RPM)

Nothing special about the motor except an Edge Programmer that usually stays on level 1.

I just made a round trip from FL to Indiana and back. These symptoms started up on the return side of the trip.

Is the oil thinner than usual? ive never seen diesel oil at least on a duramax look yellow even just after an oil change, i would be worried that you might have some fuel dilution. You can do a paper towel test to check for diesel in the engine oil, very simple test. drip some oil on a paper towel, walk away for a few minutes and then look for rings or halos in the oil. the fuel wicks out faster than the oil does so the fuel will make a ring around the oil kind of like rings in a log. you should check this now before driving the truck though, if it is oil dilution you do not want the engine to run like that since diesel is not exactly the best engine oil.

The fact that you have oil spilling out the fill tube is a very strong indicator of diesel in the crank case.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:52 AM

Head gasket? Search for how to detect head gasket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:40 AM
John Deere Parts guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroi View Post
Iím lost. Iíve got a 2004 Duramax in a 2500HD Silverado with 208K.

Here are the symptoms.

Oil is yellow. Iíve been told itís because itís Rotella brand 😐

The 'overflow' tube at the front of the block you referred to is the PCV tube that allows the crankcase pressure to vent to atmosphere. There is a hose connected to each valve cover that 'T's together, then comes forward to the right front corner of the engine to a tube, then runs down the front of the engine.

If you're pushing oil out that PCV tube, then it sounds like you're getting excessive crankcase pressure. The low-oil pressure chime is worrisome.

The paper towel test is a good thing to check to see if it has fuel in the oil.

With it running and up to temperature, pull the oil cap off and see if it is huffing smoke out of the oil fill.

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Mine was doing that a couple years ago, I brought to a diesel shop, they said the PCV valve was plugged. Put a new one on & it was good.

04 GMC LB7 2500 SAC 45 injectors DSP5 EFI live from LDS, ported air inlet. 4" MBRP droning exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode