2003 starts then shuts off - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

2003 starts then shuts off

i have a 2003 2500hd 4x4 with 278,000 that i bought a week ago. it has no check engine lights on but i got it with a known fuel issue, i replaced the fuel filter and drove it 80 miles then i shut it off and it wouldnt start so i replaced the filter again and it ran fine the other 80 miles until i got it home, i let it sit and run for a couple hours and it is hard to start.. if i prime it then it starts and runs good but had a power cut around 30 then picked up and went but now i replaced the filter again and it wont start. when i pull the fuel screw to prime it i get a lot of bubbles in the fuel. does anyone have any ides i can try before i dump a bunch of money and not fix it.. the fuel is over 6 months old and it had a full tank, i put some lucas in it and drove half a tank thru it.. any help is greatly appreciated.. thanks for looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Drain the fuel and start with new you probably have and leak in the fuel system if you have bubbles the soft lines from the tank to the filter are prone to leaks and they are hard to find as the system is under a vacuum. Might try air in the fuel filler neck and have someone looks for fuel leaks, use caution and don't use much pressure on the fuel system some use the air output side of a wet & dry vac as the air pressure is less pressure. You may have to replace or rebuild the filter head and primer they are known to leak also.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:32 AM

Find the little pinhole in the fuel lines that is allowing air in. Your fuel system is suction fed. Optional and a better option is to put a lift pump on it. If the line is leaking after the pump it will show up as a fuel leak. You could also lightly pressurize the fuel tank and see if you see a seep. Lightly meaning less than 3-4 psi. There s a lot of surface area in your tank. 4psi over 100 sq inches is over 400 lbs per sq ft.

Itís an air leak and it could be in the filter head itself and not in a line. Replacement with new is typically better than a rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

I'll try as soon as I can and i will let you know what i find out,, thanks for the help
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:54 AM

Replace the fuel lines that run from the primer to the CP3 pump. You don't need to spend $500.00 plus dollars to locate a leak. These fuel lines mentioned are on the suction side, so they draw in fuel from the filter side, and will not show a leak when they are bad, but will draw air, causing you to loose prime.

While a lift pump WITH filtration is not a bad option, its not required. What it would do is to assist in pressurizing the fuel to the filter, and with a filter system, help in cleaning up the fuel. Your truck most likely ran great for a long time without it, until the fuel lines began to fail. Replace them.

2003 2500HD 6.6 duramax (LB7) all stock (no mods)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

I rebuilt the primer pump and it needed it but it still wouldnt hold prime so I pressurized the fuel filler neck with a shop vac and my lines are bad where the fittings are after it comes out of the fuel tank, I dropped the tank and im gonna drain all the old fuel and start with new.. My question is can i replace where the lines are bad with rubber or hydraulic hose and do double clamps? A line kit is 300$ and I dont have the cash right now.. Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennycallahan22 View Post
I rebuilt the primer pump and it needed it but it still wouldnt hold prime so I pressurized the fuel filler neck with a shop vac and my lines are bad where the fittings are after it comes out of the fuel tank, I dropped the tank and im gonna drain all the old fuel and start with new.. My question is can i replace where the lines are bad with rubber or hydraulic hose and do double clamps? A line kit is 300$ and I dont have the cash right now.. Thanks
When you pressurized the fuel tank with the shop vac, how long did you leave the shop vac running to check for fuel leaks? Any help on you the procedure you did to check for leaks would be greatly appreciated. Thank, Chris.

Later, Chris.

2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x2 Duramax/Allison CC/LB
Totally Stock LB7 Fed Emissions & Transmission
Firestone R4Tech Rear Suspension System
Amp Research PowerSteps w/ light kit
Rancho 9000X ADJ Shocks up front
Updated Rear Cab Mounts
Cooper LT 265/70/17
205,000 miles on 6-4-2019
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 AM

Go to your nearest NAPA parts store and buy enough blue fuel line (the blue is for diesel) to replace your leaking fuel lines. The blue fuel line will outlast you and the truck. You'll never have to do it again. The blue line is also flexable, and will not kink when installing in tight spots, whereas the black fuel line can kink.

2003 2500HD 6.6 duramax (LB7) all stock (no mods)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

I had it pressurized for about 10-15 seconds, and I didnt see any other leaks or bad spots. I have the sending unit out now, the ring was completely destroyed when removing do to the corrosion on the ring but the assembly is still good. So I'm gonna try to but the new ring and I'm gonna get some blue hose and replace the bad spot in my line.. It had half a tank and the fuel is like a blue color. I'll take some pics today and upload everything im working with.. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode